C@H Book Reviews - Three Dishes From Three Books
  Re: (...)
I posted in another thread about pulling the bones w/a little meat from the Loin roasts I bought in another thread -
"…the 2 pork loin halves I picked up Monday - I cut away all the bones from both and smoked them Monday and put all in a slow cooker with jus I had in the freezer (a mish mash of pkgs. - pork jus, oxtail jus, and a pkg. of demi-glace)yesterday and cooked it for ~7 hours. The bones from the 19.47 lbs. of roasts gave up 1 lb. of beautiful shredded meat."

[Image: Shreddedporkfromsmokingslocookingbones.jpg]

First up from the Sandwiches & Salads book, page 61 - Pork Burgers. I mixed shredded pork with the sauce (mustard, ketchup, BBQ sauce, syrup, onion, swt. pickle relish) and just had cold sandwiches topped with the Creamy Summer Slaw made with lettuce instead of cabbage, didn't have any cabbage. I used 4 oz. of the meat for this one.

The rub I used for smoking the bones was a little hotter than I would have liked so the sweetness of this mixture was just perfect!! Wow! The sandwich was just outstanding. And, I realy enjoyed the slaw made with lettuce for a change, who knew? I had made this in 2008 and had written "good flavors" so I wasn't overwhelmed evidently at that time. But, this one made it completely different.

Dish #2 will be Vietnamese Noodle Soup from Splendid Soups & Spec. Sides. Haven't made this before so will be a first. I'm subbing 6 oz. of the shredded meat for the 1/2 lb. ground pork and adjusting.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: C@H Book Reviews - Three Dishes From Three Books by cjs (I posted in another ...)
Looks delicious!

I made the Vietnamese soup several years ago and really liked it. I used a scoop of jasmine rice in place of the rice stick noodles.
  Re: C@H Book Reviews - Three Dishes From Three Books by cjs (I posted in another ...)
What a smart idea, Jean. I never would have thought to do that with the bones since they always go into a soup pot for stock or Italian gravy. That meat looks moist and delicious!

ETA: Not sure if I have shared this recipe or not. I've made it a few times and it's just delicious!

Pork and Pappardelle Pasta

Salt and freshly ground black pepper
3 Tbs olive oil, plus more for drizzling
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 white onion, finely chopped
2 tsp tomato paste
1 tsp crushed red chile flakes
2 cups chicken stock
2 cups shredded Simple Roasted Pork Shoulder, recipe follows
1 lb dried pappardelle pasta
Freshly grated Parmesan, for garnish
Chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
Red chile flakes, for garnish

1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.

2. Heat 3 tablespoons oil in a large saute pan over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and onions and cook about 5 minutes. Stir in the tomato paste and red chile flakes. After a minute or so, add the chicken stock and pork and season with salt and pepper. Reduce the heat to low, cover and cook an additional 10 minutes.

3. When you are ready to serve, drop the pasta into the boiling water and cook 6 to 8 minutes. Remove the pasta and place directly into the sauce. Cook, tossing the pasta with the sauce, another 2 minutes, and then turn off the heat.

4. Place the pasta into warmed bowls, spooning extra sauce over the top of each portion. Garnish with Parmesan, parsley and chile flakes. Drizzle with olive oil, if desired.

Source: Recipe courtesy Aaron McCargo Jr.

Re: Re: C@H Book Reviews - Three Dishes From Three Books by Mare749 (What a smart idea, J...)
That does sound good, Maryann!!I may have to slow-cook some more of the pork, but I sure won't have as good liquid as I cooked the bones in - all those pkgs. of jus
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: C@H Book Reviews - Three Dishes From Three Books by cjs (That does sound good...)
The two things I miss the most - my mind and freezer space!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: C@H Book Reviews - Three Dishes From Three Books by Harborwitch (The two things I mis...)
Quote:

The two things I miss the most - my mind and freezer space!

Maybe the former is to be found in the latter?
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?