Pork Bellies and Martinis!!!!
  Re: (...)
OH, It's Hard Being Retired, Chapt. ???

My pork bellies came in today and instead of 2 they sent 3 home with Roy.....

So, I just had to butcher them and get them ready for bacon making and other goodies. Thank God, for Roy, he gave me encouragement.
[Image: RoyMartiniandPorkBelly.jpg]

The martini is great - it's from an old Food & Drink magazine - (don't look Bill & Denise, I know this is sacrilege but it tastes so good.)

Apple Pie Martini – Food & Drink, Autumn 2009

In a cocktail shaker filled with ice, add 1 oz. amber rum, 1/2 oz. cinnamon schnapps, 1/4 oz. lemon juice, 1/4 oz. maple syrup and 2 oz. fresh (cloudy) apple juice. Shake sharply and strain into a martini glass. Top with a dollop of whipped cream and a sprinkle of cinnamon, if desired.

Whew, it got me thru all the work -
[Image: PorkBellyandMartiniOct1112.jpg]
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Pork Bellies and Martinis!!!! by cjs (OH, It's Hard Being ...)
I like that kind of encouragement! LOL!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Pork Bellies and Martinis!!!! by Gourmet_Mom (I like that kind of ...)
I still have half a pork belly in the freezer---sometime in November we'll have a porchetta (when we have company!). That is some beautiful pork Jean!!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Pork Bellies and Martinis!!!! by Old Bay (I still have half a ...)
Ditto, Bill----my pork belly certainly did not look that scrumptious OH MY!!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Pork Bellies and Martinis!!!! by Roxanne 21 (Ditto, Bill----my po...)
I think they are the best pork bellies we've ever gotten. They are Hill Brand, but don't know where all they are available.

I froze the pieces for bacon to do after company leaves - did I mention Sharon and Bob and Denise and Derek are coming for a visit next week????????? We were so hoping Blane and his wife and Erin, etal could join us also, but alas, they are allowing work and school to interfere. Darn.

I'm playing with 4 slabs for trying some new recieps/methods, so I'm putting the 400 cal. meals on hold for a week or so (and, I have been doing so welll!)
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Pork Bellies and Martinis!!!! by cjs (I think they are the...)
Yummy!! Do let us in on your "experiments"...

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Pork Bellies and Martinis!!!! by BarbaraS (Yummy!! Do let us i...)
I will - couple are curing/marinating today and the real cooking starts tomorrow!!
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Pork Bellies and Martinis!!!! by cjs (I will - couple are ...)
Isn't envy one of the seven sins? If it is, I sinned today.
That's awesome Jean.
  Re: Re: Pork Bellies and Martinis!!!! by losblanos1 (Isn't envy one of th...)
Well said, Blane!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Pork Bellies and Martinis!!!! by Gourmet_Mom (Well said, Blane!...)
It's partly your fault, Blane - you had me sinning looking and hearing about your pork bellies...
www.achefsjourney.com