What's for Sunday Dinner, 10/14/12??
  Re: (...)
What's on the menu?

taste testing pork belly, that's for sure. But, we're having the steak and tomato dressing we were supposed to have yesterday. And, I think I'll cook it again on the panini grill...I can't believe I'm saying that!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: What's for Sunday Dinner, 10/14/12?? by cjs (What's on the menu?[...)
We wound up kind of snacking for dinner last night so tonight it will be chicken piccata and loaded baked potatoes.
  Re: Re: What's for Sunday Dinner, 10/14/12?? by Trixxee (We wound up kind of ...)
Penne in Vodka Cream Sauce with Chicken.

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: What's for Sunday Dinner, 10/14/12?? by BarbaraS (Penne in Vodka Cream...)
Cooking a steak on a pannini grill is pretty clever.
Tonight it's Albondigas soup with a Mexican cheese bread and because it's so gloomy here, a dessert to lift my spirits, Buttermilk pound cake with Tres Leches sauce.
  Re: Re: What's for Sunday Dinner, 10/14/12?? by losblanos1 (Cooking a steak on a...)
So close, Blane, but why not Tres Leches to complete the Mexican theme, instead of having Italy invade at dessert time?
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: What's for Sunday Dinner, 10/14/12?? by labradors (So close, Blane, but...)
I sure wish that I had read your post before going grocery shopping, Cuisine has a Tres Leches sauce that I've been wanting to make. Well, it's back to the store. Thanks for the suggestion Labs.
  Re: Re: What's for Sunday Dinner, 10/14/12?? by losblanos1 (I sure wish that I h...)
LOL! Sorry.

Never heard Tres Leches referred to as a "sauce," before, but I guess the mixture of the three milks that get soaked into the cake could be called that. It's basically just regular milk, evaporated milk and condensed milk - a VERY sweet dessert, but really tasty.

Have fun!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: What's for Sunday Dinner, 10/14/12?? by labradors (LOL! Sorry.[br][br]...)
We had so much rich food at homecoming today, we've decided to resurrect Hamburger Sunday.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: What's for Sunday Dinner, 10/14/12?? by Gourmet_Mom (We had so much rich ...)
Blane, have you ever made Dulce de Leche to use on any Mexican dessert? A few years ago everyone on here was making it and it is so good... I used to have this on hand at all times when I was at the hotel and catering. You can use it on just about anything.

* Exported from MasterCook *

DULCE de LECHE - HOW TO MAKE

TARTS - DULCE DE LECHE/ "CARMELLO" - 03/07/05
Misc. notes.

These are the simplest things ever to make and are delicious! Whatever size can of Sweetened Condensed Milk you buy-it doesn't matter, place them in a heavy pot-right side up- up side down- sideways however you want....they must be totally covered with boiling water for the entire 3 hour cooking time I turn mine over about half way through. Just to ensure that if I go over the 3hour hour limit they don't over cook. If you leave them in one position for the 3 hours they should be fine. But if you cook them for much over the 3 hours in a thin bottomed aluminum pan the caramel will get very thick and not spreadable, (but still good to eat). I cook about a dozen at a time in a heavy canning pot. 2- 14 oz cans fill a 9" tart pan. They have an indefinite shelf life.

Boil unopened cans of sweetened condensed milk for 3 hours - cool then you have the most wonderful rich and thick caramel to put in tart shells. Top with Cream and chopped nuts.

Put in Tart Shell..Melt some Bittersweet Chocolate and pour a thin layer over the filling then top with Toasted Nuts or a Piped Chocolate Decoration.

Yes - I usually do 2 or 3 tins at a time - they last ages, unopened, in the fridge. Put them in a large pot, cover with water, (I usually sit them on a paper towel as they make a noise as they simmer) and simmer 3 hours. You can buy it pre-done in some stores but it isn't as nice as the home boiled product. And yes - it is Dulce de Leche.

Can you then hold the tins unopened until you need them?

Yes - I just keep them in the refrigerator, unopened, until I want some yummy caramel on something.

Spread with Nutella, freeze in baggies and hit them with aerosol whip cream. You probably can't have aerosol on the jet huh.

I've done it for years. I use it for caramel chocolates and homemade turtles at Christmas time. One of the waiters at the chain O'Charleys told me that's how they make their caramel pie.
Be sure to keep the top of the cans covered with about an inch of water. If you let it boil down for too long you may end up with it on the ceiling.

Boil unopened cans of sweetened condensed milk for 3 hours -

by the way-that's drooling face
I like to do that and make an ice cream base from it....generally an Irish whiskey ice cream
I've been doing this for years- try it in a tart or pie lined with sliced bananas- decadent!

Mine is now cooled, resting in the frig just waiting to fulfill our dreams. I'm planning on adding this filling (as an extra) to a dessert buffet (Me...another dessert buffet... ) in miniature tarts. A banana slice in the bottom would be really good, I'm thinking! I think I'd better test this tonite.

I was thinking of topping them w/the whipped cream and chopped toasted nuts, now, if I add banana slice, is that over kill do you all suppose?? NO

All I can say, is - Oh My! The Dulce de Leche is absolutely delicious. I layered a banana slice, the caramel gold, whipped cream and topped w/toasted nuts. Made six to test - dammit, a neighbor was here, so had to share...
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: What's for Sunday Dinner, 10/14/12?? by cjs (Blane, have you ever...)
Wow! Thanks for that Jean, I will try it. It looks way more simple to make then this recipe.

This is do delicious! a 10! Buttermilk Poundcake with Tres Leches sauce from issue #86. I cooked them in a mini bundt muffin pan.

[Image: Poundcake_zpsf950cfc6.jpg]