Strange, But Good Weekend
  Re: (...)
I am sooo glad it's over! We had two events on Saturday. The 1st was a plated 3 course luncheon at the winery for a Corvette Club. It went well until we heard one lady was in the washroom, very ill, that is a caterer's nightmare. Turns out the copious amount of wine she drank interacted with her medication. Everyone else loved the food, and was fine. Whew! We cleaned up, packed up the van, and headed an hour away to do a wedding buffet for 135. The venue was a private school, the reception was held under a pavillion, open to the elements. The high that day was 54, with an overnight low of 41. Guests were to arrive at 4:30, buffet open at 5:30, and broken down by 6:30. Cake was to be cut and served by 7pm. I'm not sure what the wedding party was doing, but they didn't arrive until 7:320pm. By then, everyone had gone through the buffet and eaten. The Wedding Planner was absolutely useless. She came to ask me if I could help her with an electrical problem, she couldn't get the coffee maker to work. I'm with the caterer, not an electrician, try another electrical outlet! We broke down the buffet, packed up all the food and he and I were ready to leave by 9:30, our staff were staying to clean etc. I met up with 6 folks who were just arriving, and asked me when the buffet was opening as they were really hungry. Sorry, you missed it, cake will be served soon, hope you like cake. could I just make them up some plates, no way was I unpacking food. Let them eat cake!! On a good note, they had a 10 piece
Scottish Band, complete with a caller for the Scottish dances (both the bride and groom are Scottish, and most of the men were in kilts). The music was absolutely fabulous! Best Ceileidh(sp??) I'm been to in ages!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Strange, But Good Weekend by Lorraine (I am sooo glad it's ...)
Oh Lorraine!! Man, I feel your pain over this one. The hardest job I had at the hotel was when dinner time was set in stone and then Patrick (useless owner) wouldn't keep them on schedule with the picture taking after the ceremony. I still get a headache thinking about those times.

Bet the feetsies were put up on Saturday nite!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Strange, But Good Weekend by cjs (Oh Lorraine!! Man, I...)
Well, that would be hysterical if you did not have to live it in REAL TIME!!! Another adventure to put into your portfolio??

I hate it when clients/guests don't follow etiquette--GEESH!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Strange, But Good Weekend by Roxanne 21 (Well, that would be ...)
Oh Lorraine, How upsetting. Sorry about all the timing issues. How in the world did the wedding party disappear for 3 hours? Weren't people asking where they were? That is just crazy. I wonder if the last 6 people were crashing. I can't imagine showing up 5 hours late to an event - wedding or not.
Crazy people!
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Strange, But Good Weekend by esgunn (Oh Lorraine, How up...)
Lorraine, I think that wedding story is probably the most bizarre one yet, at least that you have shared with us! I'm a little surprised that the wedding guests weren't wondering where the newlyweds were. That was rude on their part to keep their guests waiting that long. I would think that it would be rather difficult to keep the food hot enough in 54 degree weather, too. Some brides are so clueless.

Sounds like an awfully long day. Hope you got some much deserved rest after that one.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Strange, But Good Weekend by Mare749 (Lorraine, I think th...)
I think folks would be surprised at how long a photographer can insist on taking pictures plus the 'odd' pictures a 'Bridezilla' can insiste on - the time really flies in those situations. Plus, with an open bar, the guests could care less when the bridal couple show up.

I can remember Patrick saying later, I had no idea how fast the time went. As I'm tearing my hair out - as I'm sure Gil & Lorraine were doing.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Strange, But Good Weekend by cjs (I think folks would ...)
I'm sorry Lorraine. At least it's over. What thoughtless people!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Strange, But Good Weekend by Gourmet_Mom (I'm sorry Lorraine. ...)
Jean is right - those photos can go on forever - we had one photographer who insisted that the wedding party lay down on the 18th fairway, much to the chagrin of all of my golfers! And of course, I hear of this later!

Who made the decision to serve the food? That would be a tough call, but what a nightmare trying to keep it hot for that length of time! And the alternative would be that they just continue to drink! And who comes to a reception 4 hours late and expects to be fed!

I've had guests come up to be wanting to know when the food was going to be served. We have always waited for the wedding party to arrive before putting food out, but none of ours have ever been that delayed.

We hosted an event two weeks ago where somebody got so ill that they ended up calling the ambulance! Yup, that's what you want to see pulling up to your front door - luckily it was before the food had been served. Several glasses of wine did not interact well with new medications!

And I had one tournament director who absolutely insisted that we serve seafood newburg at his event (even though it was not on my banquet menu), made it special - only to be told two days later that he was rolling on the ground sick that night. WHAT!!! Oh yeah, he has a seafood allergy - and somehow this is my fault because I put shrimp, mussels, and crab in the seafood newburg! Silly me!
  Re: Re: Strange, But Good Weekend by iBcookin (Jean is right - thos...)
Luckily, they chose a menu that was all cold or room temperature. The bridal party made the decision to go ahead with the food (the planner was in contact with them via cell phone), knowing that everything had to end by 10pm (city ordinance). I have never seen so much single malt Scotch being consumed.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Strange, But Good Weekend by Lorraine (Luckily, they chose ...)
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."