What's for Dinner, Wed., 10/24/12??
  Re: (...)
What's on the menu for today for everyone?

I'm still up in the air between fish taco's and Karyn's fish 'Reuben' - both sound so good. (and, then, there's Erin's lobster..... )
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: What's for Dinner, Wed., 10/24/12?? by cjs (What's on the menu f...)
Not sure but it will be something really simple and quick.. Peter comes home tomorrow and I will be ecstatic to get back in the kitchen and create some real food---
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Wed., 10/24/12?? by Roxanne 21 (Not sure but it will...)
We need something quick and easy tonight due to an appointment, so I took a container of chili out of the freezer and we'll have that with what's left of the focaccia bread.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Wed., 10/24/12?? by Mare749 (We need something qu...)
First dry day in quite a while. When Jim gets home from work we are going to try to clean up some of these abundant leaves all over the yard.
I think we will want some nice soup when we come in but I haven't decided which one yet any recommendations?
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Wed., 10/24/12?? by farnfam (First dry day in qui...)
Lasagna!! We haven't had it in 3 years. I already had lots of fresh tomato sauce, so thawed some ground beef and bulk sausage. We got a great deal on Ricotta and Cottage Cheese, so I mixed the cheeses yesterday with Parmesan. When we get back from the winery, I'll put it together, and top it off with lots of the cheeses we have.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Wed., 10/24/12?? by farnfam (First dry day in qui...)
Quote:

First dry day in quite a while. When Jim gets home from work we are going to try to clean up some of these abundant leaves all over the yard.
I think we will want some nice soup when we come in but I haven't decided which one yet any recommendations?

Italian Wedding Soup. This recipe is so good. I make the little meatballs out of ground chicken or turkey. My girls found frozen mini meatballs at the grocery store, but I like to make my own.

Italian Wedding Soup

2 tsp olive oil
1/4 cup onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
Salt & pepper
3 cups spinach
2 eggs
2 Tbs parmesan cheese
6 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup small pasta (I used ancini di pepe)
1/2 lb meatballs

1. Heat olive oil in a big soup pot on medium low heat. Add onion, a dash of salt & pepper, and sauté for 3-4 minutes, or until onions are translucent. Add garlic and cook for an additional minute, stirring constantly.

2. Add entire bag of spinach to the pot, stir to coat with oil, add a couple more dashes of S&P and allow spinach to wilt and cook ~3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally.

3. Meanwhile whisk eggs and parmesan cheese together in a small bowl. Set aside.

4. When spinach is cooked, add chicken broth to pot and bring to a boil. Add pasta and cook until al dente, ~7-8 minutes. Add mini meatballs and cook for an additional minute, or until heated through.

5. Stream egg and cheese mixture into soup and stir gently in a circular motion. Allow egg to cook for an additional minute. Serve!

Servings: 6

Nutrition Facts
Nutrition (per serving): 231 calories, 105 calories from fat, 11.7g total fat, 89.6mg cholesterol, 159.4mg sodium, 459mg potassium, 15g carbohydrates, <1g fiber, <1g sugar, 17g protein.

Tips
*If making your own mini meatballs, drop them in the chicken broth with the pasta and let them cook together for the same amount of time.

Maryann's notes: I prefer to bake them off in the oven for 15 minutes and drain on paper towels to get some of the fat out.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Wed., 10/24/12?? by Mare749 ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
That looks good Maryann. I've never tried that with the egg and cheese in the soup.
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Wed., 10/24/12?? by Mare749 ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
I'm going to get the meatloaf ready to go in the bread machine. I think I'll stick an acorn squash in the oven instead of the potatoes, and just do the chard. I don't know if I have to work . . . so better to be prepared!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Wed., 10/24/12?? by Harborwitch (I'm going to get the...)
That does sound good MA - will have to do that sometime.

We are having chicken with almond butter sauce, share a baked sweet potato and one more round of asparagus.
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Wed., 10/24/12?? by Trixxee (That does sound good...)
I have 2 chicken breasts and a head of cabbage. No clue what to make yet, leaves are too small to use as wraps so I'm thinking of a layered dish. Go go google!