Review: Fettuccine with Brussels Sprouts, Cran....
  Re: (...)
Fettuccine with Brussels Sprouts, Cranberrie3s, and Caramelized Onion.

Here's the original recipe, but I just wanted to go in a different direction. I think this one would be good also.

Fettuccine with Brussels Sprouts, Cranberries, and Caramelized Onion

This multifaceted pasta draws on the very best flavors of autumn and winter. Inspired by a recipe that appeared on the blog Blue Kitchen, the tang of crisp-tender brussels sprouts are offset by sweet-sour cranberries, with a tangy vermouth-based broth adding yet another dimension of flavor

4 oz bacon (about 4 slices), cut into ½-inch pieces
2 cups (about 12 oz.) Brussels sprouts, trimmed and vertically halved
1 medium onion, sliced
1 cup chicken broth
1/4 cup dry vermouth
1/2 cup dried cranberries, coarsely chopped
6 oz fettuccine (or another long pasta like spaghetti)
2 oz Parmesan cheese, coarsely shredded
Kosher salt and ground black pepper, to taste

1. Slowly cook bacon in a large, heavy-bottomed skillet over medium heat until fat is rendered and bacon is crisp, about 7 minutes. Remove bacon with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels; set bacon aside.

2. Increase heat to medium-high, arrange Brussels sprouts cut-side down in the rendered bacon fat and cook, without stirring, until sprouts begin to crisp and brown on the cut face, about 2 minutes. Add the onion and toss to combine with the sprouts; cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is translucent, about 4-5 minutes. Add the broth, vermouth, and dried cranberries, scraping up any fond from the bottom of the skillet, and bring to a fast simmer. Cover, reduce heat to medium, and cook until the sprouts soften, about 10 minutes.

3. Meanwhile, cook the pasta until just al dente, reserving ¼ cup of the cooking water. Transfer pasta to the skillet with the sprouts and liquid and toss continuously over medium-high heat for an additional 1-2 minutes, or until most of the liquid is absorbed. (If pasta is too dry, add reserved cooking water a tablespoon at a time.) Season with salt and pepper and serve garnished with Parmesan cheese and reserved bacon.

--------------------
This is what I did with the recipe and there is a great spot to stop the steps of the dish and finish later. Don't see why the first parts couldn't be done even the night before.

Pasta Carbonara with Brussels Sprouts and Caramelized Onions

This multifaceted pasta draws on the very best flavors of autumn and winter. Inspired by a recipe that appeared on the blog Blue Kitchen and then adapted again by me, the tang of crisp-tender brussels sprouts are offset by the tangy vermouth-based broth. Making it a carbonara adds to the rich mouth feel.
Adapted from the recipe: Fettuccine with Brussels Sprouts, Cranberries, and Caramelized Onion.

2 oz bacon (about 2 slices), cut into ½-inch pieces
2 cups (about 12 oz.) Brussels sprouts, trimmed and vertically halved
1 medium onion, sliced
1 cup chicken broth
1/4 cup dry vermouth
8 oz fettuccine (or pasta of choice – I like Campanelle)
2 eggs, whisked together and set aside
2 oz Parmesan cheese, coarsely shredded
Kosher salt and ground black pepper, to taste

1. Slowly cook bacon in a large, heavy-bottomed skillet over medium heat until fat is rendered and bacon is crisp, about 7 minutes. Remove bacon with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels; set bacon aside.

2. Increase heat to medium, arrange Brussels sprouts cut-side down in the rendered bacon fat and cook, without stirring, until sprouts begin to crisp and brown on the cut side, about 2 minutes. Add the onion and toss to combine with the sprouts; cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is translucent, about 4-5 minutes. Add the broth and vermouth, scraping up any fond from the bottom of the skillet, and bring to a fast simmer. Cover, reduce heat to medium, and cook until the sprouts soften, about 10 minutes.

3. NOTE: At this point the pan can be removed from stove, cool and refrigerate until ready to complete the dish. Return the skillet to medium heat to warm up while the pasta is cooking.

4. While the onions and Brussels sprouts and simmering, cook the pasta until just al dente, reserving ¼ cup of the cooking water. Combine the shredded cheese with the whisked eggs and set aside again.

5. When the pasta is done, drain and return to the pasta cooking pot; quickly pour egg/Parmesan mixture over the pasta and toss together. Pour this mixture into the pot with the onion and Brussels sprouts and stir to combine and heat up; adding the bacon and lots of black pepper. Toss all together for 1-2 minutes. Taste for seasoning and add salt and more pepper if needed. Black pepper makes this dish sing. 4 servings – each 371 cal.

6. [Image: CampanelleBrusselsSproutCarbonaraOct2512.jpg]

Source
Author: a Chef’s Journey recipe
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Review: Fettuccine with Brussels Sprouts, Cran.... by cjs (Fettuccine with Brus...)
What a great combo of flavors! Looks very nice Jean.
  Re: Re: Review: Fettuccine with Brussels Sprouts, Cran.... by Trixxee (What a great combo o...)
Now that is a dish I know would be yummy. Looks just fantastic
  Re: Re: Review: Fettuccine with Brussels Sprouts, Cran.... by DFen911 (Now that is a dish I...)
Thanks Jean. You know I'll be trying this one!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Review: Fettuccine with Brussels Sprouts, Cran.... by cjs (Fettuccine with Brus...)
You know I have Brussels sprouts . . . oh shoot, da#n that looks good - both versions! Thank you for sharing them!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Review: Fettuccine with Brussels Sprouts, Cran.... by Mare749 (Thanks Jean. You kno...)
I wish I could sell William on Brussels Sprouts.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Review: Fettuccine with Brussels Sprouts, Cran.... by Gourmet_Mom (I wish I could sell ...)
You're all welcome - hope you like it as much as we did.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com