What's for Dinner, Tues., 10/30/12
  Re: (...)
What's on the menu for everyone?

Leftovers from the chili I made the other day - chili pasta and fruit.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: What's for Dinner, Tues., 10/30/12 by cjs (What's on the menu f...)
Our Paella was ruined the other night by the 'Paella Mix' seafood we bought from Sam's Club. Okay, we should have known 5 lbs of seafood (octopus, squid, shrimp, mussels, krabb)for $12.99. We agreed to save the chicken and throw the rest away! Yuck.

It look pretty, but it was pretty much not edible.

Last night I made Trisha Yearwood's Chicken Tortilla Soup It was AMAZING and just super yummy. It called for a cup of salsa and I had our garden canned, super spicy habenaro green tomato salsa. The flavor of the soup was outstanding!

Now what was the question? Oh yeah! What's for dinner tonight? I think some pasta is on the menu. Maggie never let's us go too long without it.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Tues., 10/30/12 by luvnit (Our Paella was ruine...)
Oh Laura, what a shame. I have 2 or 3 Paella recipes that we love, if you want to try one soon, like "getting back on the bike" kinda thing.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Tues., 10/30/12 by cjs (Oh Laura, what a sha...)
On the same page as the Colorado chili enchiladas, I found this:
http://www.plainchicken.com/2012/07/chic...-slow.html
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Tues., 10/30/12 by farnfam (On the same page as ...)
Oh Cis, you're o.k. Guess I'd better go look at the "Sandy" thread.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Tues., 10/30/12 by cjs (Oh Cis, you're o.k. ...)
We have come down with a really bad stomach virus so I think it will be either oatmeal, rice krispies or an english muffin.

I hope Michael is ok at school but if Tony and I have it (and it comes on strong - I was fine at 9:00pm last night - by midnight I was having all sorts of trouble if you know what I mean), it's probably just a matter of time before he gets it.
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Tues., 10/30/12 by Trixxee (We have come down wi...)
Hope ya'll feel better soon, Trixxee! We're going to help at Tuesday's Table shortly. I think they will be inundated, as there are still 10000 folks without power in our area. And it's 2 days before cheques come out.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Tues., 10/30/12 by cjs (Oh Laura, what a sha...)
Quote:

Oh Laura, what a shame. I have 2 or 3 Paella recipes that we love, if you want to try one soon, like "getting back on the bike" kinda thing.

Yes I do!

The other thing that happened that I think was an issue was... I sent hubby to the store to get some Arroz bomba, arroz calaspara, or arroz valencia. He didn't know the difference, and the store didn't have any of these three varieties, so he bought the first package that said ARROZ on it. I really didn't like the quality of this rice. it seemed to be more of a medium grain that turned mealy when cooked.

Yesterday I went to the store to shop and checked out the rice aisle. He was right there was none of the varieties I had sent him for. But I had remembered someone online mentioned a Calrose brand. So I picked that up, along with some shrimp, just to retry this paella thing. I am not giving up! I have chorizo, peppers, onions, rice, shrimp. I could do this thing again!

NOTE TO EVERYONE: Do not buy that seafood paella mix. Horrible!
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Tues., 10/30/12 by luvnit ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Laura, I have the neatest book, "Paella!" by Penelope Casas. I've made 3 of hers and all have been wonderful. I saw the book on Amazon just now - used for $5.03!

She recommends also the bomba, but says Italian arborio works very well also.

the 3 I've made:
Scallop and Mushroom Paella
Catalan-Style Paella (pork loin, serrano(ham or prosciutto), sausage.
Clams in Herbed Garlic Sauce

Wow, they were all great. And, many more to try in the book.
Let me know if you'd like to to type one of them up.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Tues., 10/30/12 by cjs (Laura, I have the ne...)
Get well soon Trixxee (and Tony).
Tonight I'm trying a new recipe- Whiskey cola BBQ flank steak with sweet cream slaw and, wouldn't you know, asparagus.