Drumsticks?
  Re: (...)
What are your favorite ways to use drumsticks? They're on sale for dirt cheap and I want to make some tomorrow but feeling kind of uninspired. Any ideas? Either grilled or made in the house is fine. Thanks!
  Re: Drumsticks? by Trixxee (What are your favori...)
Ron copied an idea we saw at the Asian Market recently. Take the drumstick and butterfly it without removing the bone. Just make a cut on one side and spread it out like a lollypop and remove the skin. Then, we put them in an Asian marinade overnight and grilled the next day. (Doesn't have to be overnight, a few hours would probably work)

Sometimes we can get leg quarters as cheap as 59 cents a lb. so I roast them just to take the meat off for sandwiches or chicken salad and use the food saver to freeze small amounts for soup. Then, I put all the bones in a pot to make stock so that we always have a few quarts in the freezer.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Drumsticks? by Trixxee (What are your favori...)
Remember that Sticky Chicken recipe? It was really hot on the internet about 10 years back. That was really good!

Was it called Sticky Chicky?
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Drumsticks? by luvnit (Remember that Sticky...)
I just sent you a msg. Trixxee, with some ideas. Have fun. They are so good and so economical!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Drumsticks? by cjs (I just sent you a ms...)
  Re: Re: Drumsticks? by Trixxee ([img]/ubbthreads/ima...)
This is really good-

Grilled Buttermilk Brined Chicken

2 quarts buttermilk
1 cup chopped shallots
4 tablespoons chopped garlic
4 tablespoons kosher salt
4 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons pepper
5 pounds chicken thigh
3 1/2 pounds chicken drumstick

In a large bowl, mix buttermilk, shallots, garlic, salt, sugar, cumin, and pepper.

Rinse chicken thighs and drumsticks and pat dry. Trim off excess fat. Submerge chicken pieces in buttermilk brine. Cover and chill for at least 4 hours, or up to 1 day (see notes).

Lift chicken from brine; discard brine. Wipe excess from chicken with paper towels.

Lay chicken pieces on a barbecue grill over medium coals or medium heat on a gas grill (you can hold your hand at grill level only 4 to 5 seconds); close lid on gas grill. Cook, turning frequently, until browned on both sides and no longer pink at the bone (cut to test), 20 to 30 minutes. Serve hot or cold.

NOTES: Brine the chicken up to 1 day before grilling; grill up to 1 day before serving (chill airtight). Transport in brine when grilling on-site. Keep the meat well chilled in an ice chest until ready to serve or grill. (I interpreted you could grill a day ahead, but I prefer them right off the grill. The skin turns golden and delicious! )

My notes: Also, it calls for thighs and legs, but I have done all legs before with success. They crisp best if wiped off and placed on a rack in the fridge for an hour before grilling. I never do less than 24 hours brine. The cumin is a great flavor and really make theses special. A friend on C2C once told me that the brine recipe was just like his fried chicken recipe, minus the flour steps. Some may remember Fincher?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Drumsticks? by Gourmet_Mom (This is really good-...)
A couple of years ago, I posted a drumstick recipe I really liked, that I had found in a book about herbs: Chicken Drumsticks in a Honey and Coriander Crust. I had posted that as a reply to the previous message in the thread where Daphne had posted a link to a recipe for Hot & Sweet Drumsticks. At the time, I hadn't tried the latter, because nobody, here, carried apricot preserves. Since then, one store has had some and I did manage to pick up a few jars of it before it all disappeared, so I'll have to give Daphne's recipe a try.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Drumsticks? by labradors (A couple of years ag...)
Just adding that times/temperatures would have to be adjusted for turkey drumsticks, which is what Trixxee has.

Well, h*ll, just noticed she didn't mention 'turkey' where did that come from, Jean? Guess you can just forget my msg. to you, Trixx!! Sorry.

....going back to bed now.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Drumsticks? by cjs (Just adding that tim...)
LOL! I can still use the ideas Jean!
  Re: Re: Drumsticks? by Trixxee (LOL! I can still us...)
I just marinate them in that 1 Tbsp "canadian Chicken" seasoning, 2 Tbsp Olive oil, 2 Tbsp water, 1-2 Tbsp white wine vinegar for a few hours. Bake on a foil lined rimmed baking sheet. Then finish in the oven or on the grill with BBQ sauce. I like mine plain. Easy meal and the kids love them.

I think an Indian Marinade (yogurt, curry) many from the indian stuffed chicken breast recipe. Baked and then finished on the grill basting with marinade. Yum. I haven't tried it, but think I might!
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.