Interesting to note...
  Re: (...)
I decided to make my own turkey breakfast sausage since turkeys are on sale. I bought 2 15lb turkeys. I skinned both, removed giblets, neck and bones and diced them up. First turkey yielded 6.23 lbs of meat and the second turkey 6.49 lbs. I even weighed them before I started to make sure the tags were showing the correct weight. Each was off just under an ounce.
  Re: Interesting to note... by DFen911 (I decided to make my...)
Denise, are you going stir crazy up there?
  Re: Interesting to note... by DFen911 (I decided to make my...)
It is interesting to know how much yield you get.

Are you going to boil the bones for broth or soup?
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Interesting to note... by luvnit (It is interesting to...)
All kinds of goodies from the whole thing, I'll bet she used everything.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Interesting to note... by cjs (All kinds of goodies...)
I bet she did, too!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Interesting to note... by Gourmet_Mom (I bet she did, too!...)
We had our turkey tournament Saturday to benefit the local food banks. We provide a full thanksgiving meal to the participants after the golfing, but our numbers were half this year that they were last year so I decided not to cook whole turkeys, just turkey breasts. For 70 people I did 6 breasts, each 8 1/2 to 9 1/2 pounds a piece, plus a 30 pound ham, 50 pounds of potatoes, stuffing, green beans and pies. By the end of the meal there was NO turkey or ham left, enough potatoes to fill a 3# sour cream container and the same with the beans and stuffing. I could not believe how much food they ate. I thought that there would certainly be enough meat with just 70 people, but boy was I wrong! I never even got a bite!

Somewhere along the line I had the misguided notion that the breasts were boneless, and they weren't, so I struggled to carve them cause there is no carcass to stabilize them. I'm mangling these poor birds and all I can think of is Julia Child giving instructions on how to carve your thanksgiving turkey - I'm sure she was howling watching me butcher these poor things!

Sunday I cooked all the bones down for broth (no meat left, we had literally picked them clean to serve everyone) and have enjoyed the broth all this week!
  Re: Re: Interesting to note... by iBcookin (We had our turkey to...)
Good visual, Linda!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Interesting to note... by cjs (Good visual, Linda! ...)
Bless your heart! But you pulled it off!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Interesting to note... by Gourmet_Mom (Bless your heart! B...)
Denise, we've been thinking of doing that, as turkeys are 49 cents/lb here. Which recipe did you use? Linda, great job!!!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Interesting to note... by Lorraine (Denise, we've been t...)
1 lb ground turkey
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons sage
1 teaspoon fennel seed
1 teaspoon thyme
1 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon white pepper
1/2 teaspoon cayenne
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon allspice

This is the recipe for 1 pound of meat. Now I only did 1.5 tsp of the sage and 1/2 of the white pepper and cayenne. Next time I think I'll also reduce the salt a bit. It wasn't over salty, but then I'm a salt freak. I then formed them in 2oz patties and baked them. Then I froze them so Derek can grab 2 from the freezer and micro em or brown them up in a skillet.