Thanksgiving.....incidents, funny or otherwise
  Re: (...)
This could be a fun thread to read. I'll start. I can't be alone! Going to MIL's house, I'm driving my new to me Rav4. 6'4" Picky in the passenger seat, holding my chocolate satin pie, topped with piped whipped Kahlua cream. Big guy holding cream pie close to heater, decides he's cold and cranks up the heat and the fan. Blew the whipped cream right off the pie, all over him.

HE WAS SO MAD. But it was so funny

PJ
PJ
  Re: Thanksgiving.....incidents, funny or otherwise by pjcooks (This could be a fun ...)
Oh my stars PJ that is hysterical!!

Nothing so much as funny but frustrating. We were fortunate to have Jean and Roy over. I knew they had to leave bright and early so I got up even earlier to make them hit coffee and a batch of cinnamon monkey bread for the road.

First, I am not an early morning person...that being said.

I start the monkey bread..on the stove goes the brown sugar and butter and in a bag is the granulated sugar and cinnamon. NOT! I ended up dumping it all in the pan and cooked it down. Arg! Started over...then as I am cooking the coffee I notice the flame is getting lower and lower. Wth? Well seems our propane tank which is our fuel for cooking had run out. The regulator failed and didn't flip it over to the next tank. Derek and Roy head outside to see what the problem was. Time was running out as they had to leave and my oven takes a long time to heat up.

So poop...in went the bread but we had to drive them back to the RV park. So didn't even get to serve them breakfast and when we got home my bread was way overcooked
  Re: Re: Thanksgiving.....incidents, funny or otherwise by DFen911 (Oh my stars PJ that ...)
When I got up, Denise was still mumbling to herself....

How funny, both of you!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Thanksgiving.....incidents, funny or otherwise by cjs (When I got up, Denis...)
Everything went pretty smoothly here but I think I missed out on a few broken toes by about a 1/2 inch.

I had put a bottle of water in the freezer the day before for Michael to use as an ice pack and to roll his entire foot over (doctor's advice for plantar faciitis) and I took it out of the freezer for him, put it on the counter and because the bottom wasn't flat anymore (the ice expanded the bottle) that thing rolled and fell of the counter. You cannot believe how loud it was. Tony screamed WTF, I screamed, Michael came running downstairs. Like I said, it missed my foot by 1/2 inch. Won't let that happen again.
  Re: Re: Thanksgiving.....incidents, funny or otherwise by Trixxee (Everything went pret...)
PJ, that is hilarious! The visual that popped in my head would have made a GREAT cartoon screen!

Denise, bless your heart. How frustrating!

How lucky, Trixxee! That would have been painful!

My only story for now is eating hot dogs with Cricket yesterday. I'll add any disaster that arises when I get to cooking this weekend. On a positive note, YS has fixed my oven door, so I will now have two ovens AND the grill to cook with this weekend! YAY! Now to decide if I want to precook my turkey?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Thanksgiving.....incidents, funny or otherwise by Trixxee (Everything went pret...)
Things went pretty smoothly here. Turkey was done earlier than expected, so we got to use Jean's method for holding it which works really well!

Only glitch was when it was time to start the candied yams. I put the butter in my big cast iron skillet to melt and walked away, then got distracted until we smelled something burning...

PJ, your story is hysterical! And, it's so refreshing to hear that you were able to laugh about it after your beautiful masterpiece wound up on Picky's face.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Thanksgiving.....incidents, funny or otherwise by Mare749 (Things went pretty s...)
Well, the gremlins ate my post - here's a link to our T.Day with D&D -

Hope this works.
http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y72/cjdacook/TRAVELS/
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Thanksgiving.....incidents, funny or otherwise by cjs (Well, the gremlins a...)
Great pics Jean!

I hate those gremlins too!!!
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Thanksgiving.....incidents, funny or otherwise by luvnit (Great pics Jean![br]...)
Great pictures, Jean!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Thanksgiving.....incidents, funny or otherwise by Gourmet_Mom (Great pictures, Jean...)
That is too funny, PJ!

We had a really nice day. The only glitch was that I decided to try the Williams-Sonoma turkey gravy base because I was only cooking a breast and no one else in my family even eats gravy. I thought about doing a make-ahead gravy, but ran out of time. That was a big mistake....the gravy base, despite getting really good reviews on the W-S site, smelled exactly like cat food....Fancy Feast, to be specific. It was disgusting!!!

The turkey, however, was wonderful. We all agreed that we'll do that one again.