Food pairing
  Re: (...)
Just discovered a fascinating website: http://www.foodpairing.com. I'm still figuring out how to use it, but it appears to have tremendous potential.

Unfortunately, free accounts are very limited to a selection of 100 ingredients and 25 alcoholic beverages and a paid account costs $12.90/mo (if paid yearly - $18/mo, otherwise), but I could see that it would probably be worth it to a restaurant professional.

Note that, even though I mentioned "ingredients" and "alcoholic beverages," the site isn't just for something like pairing wines to foods, but also for pairing food ingredients with one or more other food ingredients to create innovative combinations.

THIS page gives an explanation of how it works and how to use it.

It's going to take a while to explore around it and I'll be going out of town, soon, but when I get back, I want to play around with this more. Maybe, even with the limitations of a free account, I'll be able to create something interesting.

BTW, if you DO decide to try a free account, there will come a time when it will give you a $0.00 total and an option to pay with PayPal or a credit card, but if you just leave it on "credit card" and continue, it will NOT ask for any actual credit-card information (since the total is zero).
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Food pairing by labradors (Just discovered a fa...)
Interesting, labs---I will play with this as well, when I have some free time. Thanks for the link.

It sort of reminds me of Culinary Artistry---with respect to ingredient pairing.....FANTASTIC book/resource!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Food pairing by labradors (Just discovered a fa...)
Thanks Labs! And thanks for the CC info too. I probably would have just stopped and not gone ahead.

This sounds like a fun site!
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Food pairing by luvnit (Thanks Labs! And th...)
Between the books "What to Eat With What You Drink" and "The Flavor Bible" I'm pretty well covered for researching. But, sounds like a great site for those without the books.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Food pairing by cjs (Between the books "W...)
Culinary Artistry and The Flavor Bible are what came to my mind, as well. What's different about the site is that its interactive structure provides a more-guided path.

I do, finally, have both of the aforementioned books, and they'll certainly do the job, given enough page flipping. Professional chefs who can build the paid account's subscription fee into their budgets would probably be the ones who would benefit the most from the site. Certainly the limited selection of free accounts is easily surpassed by the books.

P.S.: Jean, I just realised that this topic could really be classified as something for the "Gadgets, etc." thread, rather than being its own thread. If you agree (and don't mind and have the chance), could you please merge this thread into that one? Thanks.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Food pairing by labradors ([i]Culinary Artistry...)
Good on you, Labs---I agree
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Food pairing by Roxanne 21 (Good on you, Labs---...)
Well, Crap - now, I've done it. I'm afraid if I move my failed attempt to merge, I'll lose the original 'gadgets' thread.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Food pairing by cjs (Well, Crap - now, I'...)
I think it sounds like a fun website to check out. Thanks for posting it, Labs.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Food pairing by Mare749 (I think it sounds li...)
Thanks for sharing, Labs! I have What You Eat With What You Drink and Culinary Artistry, so I'm good, but it will be fun to explore!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.