Home made mayo
  Re: (...)
We are fanatics about Hellman's mayonnaise. I have been able to buy it here for many years and now it has disappeared from our shelves because of "labeling" problems-- there may be an issue with the monopoly of goods here but there has been a MAJOR outcry with the sudden disappearance of this product, believe it or not!

I did a google search and came up with a site for secret recipes and have been able to come close to the original Hellman's but would love a lighter version.....any ideas?

What do you guys do for homemade mayo?
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Home made mayo by Roxanne 21 (We are fanatics abou...)
Roxanne, when I make mayo, which seems like it is more infrequently each year, I use an old recipe that is very similar to this one from an old B.A.

Making mayonnaise -
1 large egg yolk
1 1/2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
1/4 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon salt plus more to taste
3/4 cup canola oil, divided

Combine egg yolk, lemon juice, vinegar, mustard, and 1/2 teaspoon salt in medium bowl. Whisk until blended and bright yellow, about 30 seconds.

Using 1/4 teaspoon measure and whisking constantly, add 1/4 cup oil to yolk mixture, a few drops at a time, about 4 minutes. Gradually add remaining 1/2 cup oil in very slow thin stream, whisking constantly, until mayonnaise is thick, about 8 minutes (mayonnaise will be lighter in color). Cover and chill. do ahead Can be made up to 2 days ahead. Keep chilled.

Variation:
To make aioli, add 1 minced garlic clove to the egg mixture, and substitute extravirgin olive oil for the canola oil.
------------
But, have to say I don't think there is a way to make "light" mayo. I may be off base, but.............

Doing a search for a "light Mayonnaise recipe" I only find that "light olive oil or vegetable oil" is used. Do you have access to that??
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Home made mayo by cjs (Roxanne, when I make...)
Thanks Jean---I did a combination of ingredients from four different recipes. No light olive oil here but vegetable oil I think is doable---I did use a combo of olive/canola and the food processor....the original batch is still great and it's three weeks old.
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Home made mayo by Roxanne 21 (Thanks Jean---I did ...)
I use the Joy of Cooking recipe for the Cuisinart. I often sub Canola or Vegeatable oil with great results.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.