Making Tortillas
  Re: (...)
I thought I would warm up to Lefse making by making some Tortillas the day before!

I have never made tortillas so any tips or advice would be great!

I have a bag of Maseca, a tortilla press, and a griddle. Plan on following the directions on the back of the bag. That is the plan anyway...

[Image: corn-tortillas_2.jpg]
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Making Tortillas by luvnit (I thought I would wa...)
I add a little salt to the maseca and water.
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Making Tortillas by farnfam (I add a little salt ...)
I've never had much luck with the presses - especially the metal ones: the handles always break before the tortilla has been fully pressed. Ultimately, I just get better results with my hands, instead of a press.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Making Tortillas by luvnit (I thought I would wa...)
More than likely I'm late to the party. I use boiling water to make the dough (and after mixing I let it set for about 30 min.), line the press with a split plastic bag, and use a small cookie scoop to portion the dough into balls and sort of knead them a minute or two before pressing. I also press, rotate the bag, press again to the desired thickness. Patience.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Making Tortillas by labradors (I've never had much ...)
Quote:

I've never had much luck with the presses - especially the metal ones: the handles always break before the tortilla has been fully pressed. Ultimately, I just get better results with my hands, instead of a press.

Funny!
Laura
  Re: Re: Making Tortillas by luvnit ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
I do pretty much as Sharon does - so, how did they turn out??? Personally, I think tortillas are more difficult to work with than Lefse, by far!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Making Tortillas by cjs (I do pretty much as ...)
Today is the day! Got my dough mixed and I am waiting for the bus to take my kids to school. Then I will go to it!
Laura
  Re: Re: Making Tortillas by luvnit (Today is the day! G...)
Have fun!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Making Tortillas by cjs (Have fun!...)
Wow I am all done! I made about 35 of them, ate 5. Boy these are addictive. It was very, very easy.

The tortilla press worked just great. It took a couple of try before I got the amount of dough just right for the size of my press. Can't wait to have them in the lasagna tonight!
Laura
  Re: Re: Making Tortillas by luvnit (Wow I am all done! I...)
congratulations!! Now, I'm anxious to hear of your work with lefse!
www.achefsjourney.com