Etiquette Question!
  Re: (...)
Ok so having guests over for dinner tonight. It's the guests birthday, he and his wife don't drink.

I am serving a prime rib roast, loaded baked potatoes, toss green salad every trimming for the roast and potatoes you could ask for.

Now this is a perfect meal for a nice glass of red wine (keep in mind my living/dining area also hosts a full bar - literally). I do not know why they don't drink.

Is it ok to open a bottle and have a glass with dinner?
  Re: Etiquette Question! by DFen911 (Ok so having guests ...)
I would think if they are just nondrinkers, it would be fine. But not knowing makes it tricky. My mom is not a drinker and her friends have their wine and cocktails when around her all the time. As a matter of fact, I serve wine when she is here. At Ashley's Graduation Dinner, she even sprang for dinner including a couple round of drinks. Shocked the daylight out of me! LOL!

Anyway, maybe this will help? Recovery Etiquette
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Etiquette Question! by Gourmet_Mom (I would think if the...)
I think it's fine (unless you specifically knew there was an issue). I know a lot of us here indulge but there is a big portion of the general public who just don't drink. They don't care for it. My dad is one of them. Alcohol gives him a headache and he doesn't like to pay $$ for it, ie, he's cheap. LOL.
  Re: Re: Etiquette Question! by Trixxee (I think it's fine (u...)
Many in the family don't drink at all, including him. But, they have absolutly no problem with anyone else drinking. Unless you know of an issue, or they are recent AA members, so, I've been of no help. Good luck!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Etiquette Question! by Lorraine (Many in the family d...)
Yes, I would probably put out a pitcher with ice water on the table along with the bottle of wine, unless they tell you what they drink with their meals.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Etiquette Question! by Lorraine (Many in the family d...)
I agree with the consensus (sp?). Go ahead and have your wine. Offer your guests a variety of beverages. Sparkling water in a pretty glass, etc. You know them well enough to know they don't drink (the reason doesn't really matter), they probably know that you and Derek do. It's not a big deal. At least it shouldn't be.

I do have some friends/relatives that no longer drink and it does not bother them in the least when others do.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Etiquette Question! by luvnit (I agree with the con...)
Thanks guys! I don't think they are in recovery. I think it's more of a choice. I did buy some spiced cider (not mulled wine just apple cider with spices), and I did put out a water pitcher. Neither of them drink sodas that I have ever seen. He does love fresh fruit juices when fruits are in season.

So I think I'll leave the wine on the table as planned and enjoy responsibly
  Re: Re: Etiquette Question! by DFen911 (Thanks guys! I don't...)
My aunt was a recovering alcoholic and a counselor for 30 years--she resented me if I did not offer her a drink so she could say --no, but thank you!! Some people need training--no offense Red!! Good luck--serve the wine.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".