For An Update On My Butt!
  Re: (...)
OMG!! Thanks to everyone, it looks like it came out great!

We smoked it over apple chips for 3 hours on High. The smoker temp only got to 250 because it was cold outside and it's an electric smoker, so you can't heat it up before-hand.

So then we brought it indoors and put it in a pan and I smothered it with thinly sliced sweet onion and somewhat-finely minced garlic and a 16-oz bottle of apple juice, and covered it in foil. Every two hours I rotated it from up and down and back to side in the small oven. I even turned it up-side down.

Then I took it out 7 hours later and the bone just fell off the meat. Shredding was just so easy.

I sauced it with Sweet Baby Rays - a 40-oz bottle from BJ's, there's still some left in the bottle.

Tonight I took it out from the fridge because it's in the Slow Cooker pot (West Bend - separate pot and base) and tasted and put it in two gallon ziploc bags. Thanks to Alina for the West Bend recommendation! That cooker is great for the shape! Better surface area to the heater base!

So anyway, the Pulled Pork is tasting absolutely delish right now. On Thursday morning I will add more sweet onion slices and garlic and Tabasco, which I forgot to add on Sunday.

All in all, it came out super and tasty and I hope it all gets eaten considering I'm up against 20 other dishes!

Thank you to everyone that gave me input. I will always cook this Butt again the same way!

Another significant cooking epic with angst overcome with help from my friends on this board!

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: For An Update On My Butt! by BarbaraS (OMG!! Thanks to eve...)
Well done, Barbara! I knew you could do it! They're going to LOVE it!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: For An Update On My Butt! by Gourmet_Mom (Well done, Barbara! ...)
You are most welcome. To me it made sense, there are very few cuts of meat that are perfectly round, lol. I am so glad the butt came out great. It is a much more flavorful cut than the loin imho.

Btw, recently Costco had a huge package of pork that was strange looking. I asked the butcher what it was and he told me it was shoulder chunks. He said it was basically large cubes of shoulder with a good chunk of the fat removed so you are only paying for the meat (with still enough fat to make it flavorful). Great for any dish that requires cutting and trimming. It was pricey, about $20.00+ but there was a lot of meat. He said it was a great value. I am going to be on the lookout of it again, but thought I'd share since the label on the package was not descriptive at all.
  Re: Re: For An Update On My Butt! by Cubangirl (You are most welcome...)
Outstanding! Now aren't you glad you did it? I wonder...will there be any left? Hehehe once you start "sampling" something that yummy it's hard to stop.

Everyone is going to love what you did!! WTG
  Re: Re: For An Update On My Butt! by DFen911 (Outstanding! Now are...)
Sounds perfect, Barbara! It's going to be a big hit at the party. The way you cooked the butt is the way we normally do it, except we go more like 4 hours in the smoker, then in the oven. It was too cold here to use the smoker yesterday, so we just did our pork shoulder in the oven overnight. It was good, but not as good as when it's smoked.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: For An Update On My Butt! by Mare749 (Sounds perfect, Barb...)
And the apple juice suggestion from Erin worked out well, also. I think that's why it tastes sweetn and tangy. I would baste the pork with the juices when I was turning it about in the oven.

Again, thanks everyone!

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: For An Update On My Butt! by BarbaraS (And the apple juice ...)
congratulations, Barbara!! Well done and we had no doubt how it would turn out for you.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: For An Update On My Butt! by cjs (congratulations, Bar...)
Glad it all turned out!