Holding a Beef Roast Before Serving
  Re: (...)
There are a couple of ways to hold a prime rib or any other large beautiful roast and it depends on your kitchen needs which method to use.

IF you will be needing the oven for other dishes while the roast rests, I suggest you use Julia Child’s method:
Have a large pot of water simmering (not any hotter than a simmer) on a back burner. Loosely tent roast with foil and set roasting pan with roast over the pot of simmering water. You can hold the roast up to 1 1/2 to 2 hours without the temperature raising after the initial residual rise after removing from hot oven.

IF you won’t be using the oven for any other cooking, try this method:

Immediately turn off oven and leave the door ajar after removing the roast; allow roast to rest on the counter(loosely tented with foil) for 15 minutes, and then return the roast to the oven, with the foil cover, with the door closed for up to 1 hour or 2 hours for largest roasts.

To be on the safe side, check the temperature every 15 minutes and if the temp is going higher than you want, forget the others (dishes and people) and enjoy the roast!! If you remove the roast 5 to 10 degrees before you reach the temperature you want to serve, after resting/holding the roast, you should have the perfect roasted beef.

Most important – have an instant read thermometer when cooking roasts – internal temperature not time is the only reliable way to roast meat. Don’t allow the probe to rest in fat or touch the bone for the true temperature taking.

That’s it!

----------

I'm editing this post to add a link to a thread we all worked on years back on the whole roasting beef idea -

http://www.forums.cuisineathome.com/ubbt...part=1&vc=1
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Holding a Beef Roast Before Serving by cjs (There are a couple o...)
I like the water technique and will remember that! Thanks Jean
  Re: Re: Holding a Beef Roast Before Serving by DFen911 (I like the water tec...)
Thanks, Jean! I'm saving this for future reference!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Holding a Beef Roast Before Serving by Gourmet_Mom (Thanks, Jean! I'm s...)
Awesome!! Thanks Jean!!

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Holding a Beef Roast Before Serving by BarbaraS (Awesome!! Thanks Je...)
You're welcome. Doing this has sure saved my butt a few times.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Holding a Beef Roast Before Serving by cjs (There are a couple o...)
Thanks for the information, Jean. If you are using the second method (warm oven) do you still tent the roast to hold in the moisture?
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Holding a Beef Roast Before Serving by cjs (You're welcome. Doin...)
Great ideas Jean. Now if I just had a bigger stove, and a bigger oven! But it would sure save some butt down at the restaurant! Thank you!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Holding a Beef Roast Before Serving by Harborwitch (Great ideas Jean. N...)
I would, Maryann. (I edited above to reflect that)

Sharon, the quality & size of ovens in RVs, I sure wouldn't try the oven method.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Holding a Beef Roast Before Serving by cjs (I would, Maryann. (I...)
Good info Jean.

(I don't cook anything in my RV oven. Nada, nothing).