Very O.T. - Preferences in a Cookbook
  Re: (...)
I'm ready to finish up a couple of cookbooks - recipes all tested, blah, blah. Now, I'm in a real quandry as to how I want to set up the book(s) themselves.

My big debate with myself, is to have individual recipes with a section for extra/go-with recipes in a pantry-like section (sauces, condiments, etc.) and allow cooks to match with other dishes in the book (or use their own additions)

or

For each recipe include a 'menu' of recipes to make an entire meal (side/veggie/salad and entree and if a particular sauce/condiment is needed for the dinner):

example:
Deep Fried Catfish
Big Mama's Hushpuppies
Rouxfy's Leek and Ginger Slaw
wtih the addition of recipes for 2 sauces for catfish.

----------
Hopefully, you all will give me your thoughts on what you like to see in a cookbook. AND, of course, pictures of each and every (darn) recipe - except the extras.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Very O.T. - Preferences in a Cookbook by cjs (I'm ready to finish ...)
I love menu ideas. I have several books that utilize it and its so nice to find something and then see side dish suggestions sight the page number of those recipes are.

Tossing this out too, substitutions. Don't have an ingredient because maybe your area doesn't have it (like me hahaha) then you could use X.
  Re: Re: Very O.T. - Preferences in a Cookbook by DFen911 (I love menu ideas. I...)
I like your second suggestion best. It would be right there on the page right? A list of what you could/should make for a meal/menu. Yeah. I like that.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Very O.T. - Preferences in a Cookbook by DFen911 (I love menu ideas. I...)
I agree with Denise, grouped by menu ideas is helpful. Recipes can also be found in the index when wanted separately, right?
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Very O.T. - Preferences in a Cookbook by farnfam (I agree with Denise,...)
I also like the second suggestion best (and then also an index).
  Re: Re: Very O.T. - Preferences in a Cookbook by Trixxee (I also like the seco...)
I agree with the others. Love the full menu idea.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Very O.T. - Preferences in a Cookbook by Mare749 (I agree with the oth...)
Quote:

I agree with the others. Love the full menu idea.

I have to agree. Having a full menu suggestion is a nice option!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Very O.T. - Preferences in a Cookbook by Harborwitch ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
thanks everyone - even the engineer in Roy Richard says do it this way, too.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Very O.T. - Preferences in a Cookbook by cjs (thanks everyone - ev...)
Ditto---the other thoughts on this.....GO JEAN!!!! You a star!!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Very O.T. - Preferences in a Cookbook by Roxanne 21 (Ditto---the other th...)
It doesn't matter, to me, how the rest of the cookbook is handled, as long as it's done well and done consistently.

Otherwise, what I really value (presuming the cookbook has good recipes in which I am interested) is a well-organised INDEX that gives the reader multiple ways to find each recipe. Indices arranged by complete menus, meal courses, food groups, ethnicity, primary protein, etc. are nice, but there should always be a good general index, since not everyone will try to find recipes the same way.

For example, Bubble and Squeak should be in the general index under "Bubble and Squeak," "Cabbage," and "Potatoes." Also, unless there are separate indices for ethnicity and meal course, it should appear in the general index under "English" and "Side Dishes," as well. Otherwise, what would happen if the reader had heard about "Bubble and Squeak" and was curious about it, but didn't know its ingredients, course or country of origin, and the index listed it only once, under "Potatoes"? Or what if the reader wanted to find out about that English dish of leftover potatoes and cabbage, but the index only had it listed as "Bubble and Squeak"? Either way, the reader wouldn't be able to find it, but THAT'S the way many cookbook indices ARE, nowadays.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?