New Years Cooking Resolutions
  Re: (...)
Ok, I learned how to make sushi. This year I am going to tackle sausage and ground meat. I have plenty I would like to perfect like bread and pizza, although those go against my other new years resolutions of the whole eat better and less wheat !!!

How about you all? Any new cooking skills you will learn this next year?
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: New Years Cooking Resolutions by esgunn (Ok, I learned how t...)
I can't think of anything I haven't tried other than recipes. But I don't think that's what you're talking about. I guess my resolution would be to get back to my meal planning. It saves money and my sanity! I'd also like to try Jean's advice to fix my pasta roller. I miss fresh pasta! I also want to shop smarter, especially to take advantage of sales to buy ingredients to make my own ground beef and Italian sausage. As much as I'd like to add bread making to that list, my waistline disagrees! But I really miss it! I guess I could do it to add to the food pantry? Lastly, I hope to have better success at gardening this year! I'm tired of the animals getting more of the crop than me !!!!!!!!!!!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: New Years Cooking Resolutions by Gourmet_Mom (I can't think of any...)
Taking chances! I'm finally getting a little brave at work. I know I need to develop more recipes for my chef's choice items, and I need to continue to take risks. I'm happy, and grateful, my Chef is giving me this freedom, and I intend to take full advantage of it!

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: New Years Cooking Resolutions by pjcooks (Taking chances! I'm...)
PJ, that is great news! I wish you the best for the new year! I know you will knock his socks off!!!!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: New Years Cooking Resolutions by Gourmet_Mom (PJ, that is great ne...)
Well, I'm still trying to get at my resolutions 3 years ago to go further with cheese making and to make marshmallows. Still have not gotten to either! Where does time go?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: New Years Cooking Resolutions by cjs (Well, I'm still tryi...)
I would like to try more Cuisine recipes, even if only once or twice a week, since I can't spring too many new dishes on Ron.

Also, to practice portion control. Funny how this was easier when the kids were at home and we had to share.

As Daphne mentioned, menu planning saves time and money, so I plan to make more of an effort to do this.

To use more recipes with fresh vegetables. We love them, but need to try some new varieties.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: New Years Cooking Resolutions by Mare749 (I would like to try ...)
I make the same food resolution every year and so far it hasn't worked out right. I always say I'm going to stop wasting so much produce. I buy more than we're going to use - because it's on sale, or I change the dinner plans so the zucchini goes bad, etc. I basically need to be more organized with perishable items.
  Re: Re: New Years Cooking Resolutions by Trixxee (I make the same food...)
Gonna try a home version of Sous Vide. Not sure how yet so will be doing some research.

And I agree also with Maryann and Theresa. All the appetizers I did last night were from C@H for the same reason. And I also tend to over buy on produce for 2 reasons. I still cook like Laura is with us and I hate the drive to grocery store, which I end making anyways because I didn't use stuff up in time.
  Re: Re: New Years Cooking Resolutions by DFen911 (Gonna try a home ver...)
Denise,

Try THIS thread and THIS thread. Lots of great info, from beer coolers to temperature controllers for slow cookers to the actual, professional units.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: New Years Cooking Resolutions by labradors (Denise,[br][br]Try [...)
Thanks, Labs, you enabler! Will definately try doing this with a less expensive cut of meat just for the heck of it! Very informative links.

PJ
PJ