What's for Dinner, Thursday, 1/3/13??
  Re: (...)
What's on the menu for everyone today?

We'll have some leftover pizza - what an easy day for the cook. I may even get some work done, now that I have a printer.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: What's for Dinner, Thursday, 1/3/13?? by cjs (What's on the menu f...)
We wound up having oatmeal last night because, well, too boring of a story.

I'm hoping to have that country fried steak today!
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Thursday, 1/3/13?? by Trixxee (We wound up having o...)
We're heading to Cannery Row in Monterey area so the skies the limit today

Any suggestions btw?
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Thursday, 1/3/13?? by DFen911 (We're heading to Can...)
I don't really, Denise, but keep in mind today is "Chocolate-Filled Cherry Day"
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Thursday, 1/3/13?? by cjs (I don't really, Deni...)
"Winter Pork Stew" since we didn't use the pork yesterday as planned. Babysitting today and tomorrow, so I'm looking for meals that the girls can help with. Katie loves to peel vegetables.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Thursday, 1/3/13?? by Mare749 ("Winter Pork Stew" s...)
What a great little helper you've got there! I miss my helpers!

It's cold and drizzly again today, so I'm making up a pot of veggie soup.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Thursday, 1/3/13?? by Gourmet_Mom (What a great little ...)
Something easy tonight- Herb Fried Chicken w/ black pepper gravy and asparagus.
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Thursday, 1/3/13?? by losblanos1 (Something easy tonig...)
After the sous vide talk on anther thread, I decided to give it a go. I bought a london broil for about $3, vac sealed it with some teriyaki sauce and let it rest a while. I filled a small cooler with hot (150 degrees) water and immersed the steak for 1 hr, checking water temp every now and then. Pulled it at about 127 degrees and seared quickly, less than 1 min each side. It was so tender! Trying to get the pic from my IPhone uploaded here, not having much luck. Perfect with rice and green beans amondine.

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Thursday, 1/3/13?? by pjcooks (After the sous vide ...)
This is interesting, PJ! You said you pulled it at 127 degrees. I'm assuming you are talking about the water temp? I'd like to try my Korean Beef recipe like this!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Thursday, 1/3/13?? by Gourmet_Mom (This is interesting,...)
Daphne, take a look at the various notes in the links I posted HERE.

Something that is cooked by this method will, because of the amount of time, etc., actually be the same temperature as the water. Thus, yes, 127 would have been the water temp, but would also have been the temp of the meat. The final sear will finish it off. Again, those links can explain it much better than I can - including addressing concerns about some of the temperatures involved.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?