Thanks to Editors of Cuisine
  Re: (...)
Hi everyone,

I just wanted to take a moment to thank the editors for help they gave me today. Tomorrow I'm having company over for someone's birthday, and I wanted to make the Chocolate Espresso Torte from Issue #7 that I've made several times before. But I have moved from the USA to Thailand without my old magazines, and I didn't have the recipe. I sent a contact through the website, and within 10 hours I received a scan of the recipe from Cuisine.

Right now my torte is in the oven. I don't know how easy it will be to control the ganache and toppings in the Thailand climate, but at least I can give it a shot, thanks to the timely help I received.

Sincerely, one of your earliest subscribers!!
  Re: Thanks to Editors of Cuisine by andychat (Hi everyone,[br][br]...)
Very nice! And i hope the torte turns out perfectly!
Andy,

Why don't you try freezing the torte before you top it with the ganache. Then after it sets, put it immediately into the fridge.

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Thanks to Editors of Cuisine by BarbaraS (Andy,[br][br]Why don...)
And stick around if you ever need another recipe you can always come here. I would say 100% of the time one of us has it and can post it or email it.
  Re: Re: Thanks to Editors of Cuisine by DFen911 (And stick around [im...)
Good on Cuisine @ Home!!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Thanks to Editors of Cuisine by cjs (Good on Cuisine @ Ho...)
Well done, C@H! And I agree with Denise, stick around! We'll be here for you!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Thanks to Editors of Cuisine by Gourmet_Mom (Well done, [url=mail...)
Yes, well done!
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
Hi everyone, thanks, I will stick around. Most of my cooking these days is learning Asian techniques, I would love to share and learn about that and more!

Barbara, I chilled the torte in the refrigerator overnight before pouring the ganache. That part went smoothly except for one thing -- I forgot to remove the wax paper circle before pouring the ganache! We were eating it, and chewing bits of paper. Once I realized what happened, the ganache was easy to lift right off the torte (due to the wax paper) and the paper could be removed. Ugh! I was able to make the leaves, freezing them and taking them out one at a time to quickly pull away the leaves using toothpicks. I brushed the chocolate very thick on the leaves, and that helped. There was no way I would be able to control the temperature enough to attempt the curls so I left them off, and I forgot to buy confectioners sugar so the final torte looked a little boring. I did add raspberries (one pint of raspberries here costs about US$10).

Also, this is the first time I've made this torte using espresso -- in the past I've used hot chocolate because I wasn't a coffee drinker. I went to my local Starbucks to order 8 ounces of espresso. You haven't lived until you have tried getting that right, with limited Thai language capabilities. After first getting an 8 oz. Americano with one shot of espresso, and then an 8 oz. Americano with a double shot, I finally was able to get a full 8 ounces for the recipe! The end result with the espresso was absolutely delicious!!
  Re: Thanks everyone, and -- the results! by andychat (Hi everyone, thanks,...)
Welcome, Andy---isn't that torte to die for???

Please pop in --- newbies are immediately taken under the wing, so to speak, you will have more than enough assistance with whatever you may need!!

Your costs are similar to ours in South Africa---YIKES!

It is certainly an adventure to reside far from our comfort zones but the challenge makes every day special!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Thanks everyone, and -- the results! by Roxanne 21 (Welcome, Andy---isn'...)
I've yearned over the picture of the torte over the years, but for some reason have never made it. (maybe 'cause I hate working with chocolate and pastries... )

We do hope you stick around - 'Andy' is a generic name, so I have my fingers crossed you are male; as they are sorely lacking around here and Bill, Blane and Labs would love the company...
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com