Bacon Jam
  Re: (...)
If you haven't done so, then you must make this recipe the next time you do a batch of 18 hour bread.

Nigella's Bacon Jam

Because if you do you will end up with an appetizer or afternoon snack that leaves you completely satisfied. I served it with a Pinot Grigio to help cleanse the palate. Simply divine.

[Image: 580536_10151409106476322_748106577_n_zpsda738044.jpg]
  Re: Bacon Jam by DFen911 (If you haven't done ...)
I so have to make it. We had it at Jean & Roy's and brought a bit home. Loved it. I should put it on my "bucket list"!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Bacon Jam by Harborwitch (I so have to make it...)
Denise did you see the Bacon Pate listed also?

Yum Yum
Everything will be all right in the end. So if it is not right, then it's not yet the end.
  Re: Re: Bacon Jam by mjkcooking (Denise did you see t...)
I sooo love bacon jam...I haven't yet figured out whit it doesn't taste good on or with!
  Re: Re: Bacon Jam by karyn (I sooo love bacon ja...)
Yes and I think the pate will be next
  Re: Re: Bacon Jam by DFen911 (Yes and I think the ...)
I made the recipe below last week it and it was so easy, it goes on everything, eggs, toast, pizza and even a bit on a salad, yumm. I was a bit dubious about the coffee, but it was like adding a TBS. of espresso to brownies, it takes from great to Oh My!!!!. The sauté pan made it go faster. I cut my bacon first with scissors and then used these to separate the little stacks. I have the 10". Don't know how I managed before without them.

EXPORTED FROM LIVING COOKBOOK

BACON JAM

This bacon jam recipe, made from maple syrup and bacon and coffee, is a sweet condiment slathered on burgers at Skillet diner in Seattle. Can use cider vinegar and omit the coffee.

Servings: 48 Yield: 3 cups

Preparation Time: 35 minutes Cooking Time: 2 hours and 10 minutes
Inactive Time: 15 minutes Total Time: 3 hours

1½ lbs. sliced bacon
2 medium yellow onions
3 garlic cloves (optional)
3/4 cup strongly brewed coffee
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
1/3 cup packed dark brown sugar,(up to ½)
1/4 cup maple syrup

Cut bacon crosswise into 1" pieces. Cut onions into small dice. Peel and smash garlic.

In a large (5½ qt.) non-stick sauté pan over medium heat, cook the bacon, stirring occasionally, until the fat is rendered and the bacon is lightly browned, about 20 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the bacon to paper towel-lined plates to drain.

Pour off all but 1 TBS. drippings from the skillet and reserve for another use. Add the onions and garlic to the skillet and cook until the onions are translucent, about 6 minutes.

Add the coffee, vinegar, brown sugar, and maple syrup and bring to a boil. Cook, stirring and scraping up any browned bits from the skillet, for 2 minutes.

Add the bacon and stir to combine.

If making this on a stove top, reduce the heat to a bare simmer and cook uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the liquid almost completely evaporates and turns syrupy, 1 to 1½ hours.
If making this in a slow-cooker, transfer the mixture to a 6-qt slow-cooker and cook on high, uncovered, until the liquid almost completely evaporates and turns syrupy, 3½ to 4 hours.

Let the bacon concoction cool slightly before transferring it to a food processor and pulsing until coarsely chopped. Spoon the bacon lusciousness into individual jars or other resealable containers and refrigerate for up to 4 weeks. Transfer to a pan and rewarm gently over low heat prior to indulging.

Recipe Type: Bacon, Breakfast and Brunch Foods, Jams, Jellies and Preserves, Make-Ahead, Onions

Author: Renee Schettler Rossi
Source: Leite's Culinaria
Web Page: http://leitesculinaria.com/82690/recipes-bacon-jam.html
  Re: Re: Bacon Jam by Cubangirl (I made the recipe be...)
Alina I like the differences between the two. I think I may have to try your version too. the app,e cider in mine added a tartness while I think the balsamic in yours would add another depth of richness.
  Re: Re: Bacon Jam by Cubangirl (I made the recipe be...)
Okay, I WILL be making this after payday!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Bacon Jam by Gourmet_Mom (Okay, I WILL be maki...)
The original recipe I used called for apple cider vinegar, but I generally prefer balsamic so I switched it and liked the result. Of all vinegars, sherry vinegar is my favorite, so I might use that next time and see if I can tell the difference.

BTW, since we only drink espresso (don't know if we even have a regular coffee maker anymore) and I was lazy, so I used a TBS. from very old jar of Folgers coffee crystals I had food savered in the freezer, and dissolved it in a cup of very hot tap water, then just added the 3/4 cup threw the rest away. It smelled very strong but it worked. Next time, I'll just use a tsp. of the espresso powder I keep in the freezer for chocolate baking, and add hot water to make 3/4 cup and use that.
  Re: Re: Bacon Jam by Cubangirl (The original recipe ...)
For the 1 cup of coffee I used what we brew each morning which is from a French Press and much stronger than most coffee.

This is really a fun recipe to do I am even considering doing it again with peach balsamic just to taste the flavors.