Biggest cooking-show cop-out ever! [SPOILERS!]
  Re: (...)
Okay. It's not as though I didn't expect it - especially after last year. In fact, this was worse than anything that happened last season. Even so, maybe you could call the show a "guilty pleasure," since I have fun watching it, even though (or maybe because) it IS so bad.

I'm sure, by now, you know I'm talking about the Rachael vs. Guy Celebrity Cook-Off.

In the first episode, Gilbert Gottfried was eliminated because he couldn't even make a decent peanut butter and jelly sandwich. As much as I like him, that's ridiculous (unless he did it deliberately because he wanted to show how ridiculous the show, itself, is).

The second episode is where my subject line for this thread comes in.

In this episode, the contestants were at a large, California farm. To start the round, each had to choose one of the "proteins" listed on index cards clipped to a scarecrow and then had to pick their own vegetables to make a side dish for the "protein."

Notice that I used quotation marks around the word "proteins." Well, two of this year's celebrities are vegetarians, so two of the "proteins" on those cards were mushrooms and eggplant.

Hello?

Mushrooms and eggplant? Proteins? If you're going to cop out completely and play the "politically correct" and "we don't want to OFFEND anyone" cards, why not, at least, choose something that HAS some protein?

Eggplants have something like 1.01 grams of protein for a 100-gram serving.

Mushrooms have around 2.5 grams.

(Beef has 26 grams.)

Peas, with 5.5 would have been more than the eggplant and the mushrooms combined. Black beans have 21.25 - almost as much as an actual meat!

Fortunately, one of those vegetarians (Cornelia Guest) not only was in the bottom two for the night, but also lost and was eliminated.

I wonder if that will hurt FoodNetwork's diversity quota.

Seriously: eggplant and mushrooms?
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Biggest cooking-show cop-out ever! [SPOILERS!] by labradors (Okay. It's not as t...)
I agree with your sentiments 100%, but I can't stand either of those 2 so will never watch the show.

I think they are both a joke
  Re: Biggest cooking-show cop-out ever! [SPOILERS!] by labradors (Okay. It's not as t...)
Thanks for the review, Labs. We haven't watched it, as neither one of us can stand listening to Rachel. You are absolutely right. In the cooking world, when you say "protein", it is certainly not mushrooms or eggplant.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Biggest cooking-show cop-out ever! [SPOILERS!] by DFen911 (I agree with your se...)
Quote:

I agree with your sentiments 100%, but I can't stand either of those 2 so will never watch the show.

I think they are both a joke

Ditto!
  Re: Re: Biggest cooking-show cop-out ever! [SPOILERS!] by losblanos1 ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Sounds like a loser! Don't care for either of them myself but can stomach Guy in small doses since he did send us to a fantastic, cheap restaurant in San Diego. Abhor Rachel. She's pretty much worthless. LOL.
  Re: Re: Biggest cooking-show cop-out ever! [SPOILERS!] by Trixxee (Sounds like a loser!...)
Whatever happened to Rachels daytime talk show?? I never understood how she stayed around---did "evoo" make Websters?
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Biggest cooking-show cop-out ever! [SPOILERS!] by Old Bay (Whatever happened to...)
I think we watched one episode of the first season, but decided it wasn't for us - even for the fun (which I have to admit we do watch some bad ones for the fun )
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Biggest cooking-show cop-out ever! [SPOILERS!] by cjs (I think we watched o...)
I love reality cooking shows, even watch 'The Next Great Baker (TNGB) on TLC, but could not stomach this show. I can't stand either of them. I wanted Reggie to win when Guy won on the TNFNS.

BTW, Bourdain's new show starts next Tuesday (8 pm, ABC) so I've got that set to tape. For now, I'll just stick to TNGB, Top Chef Seattle and Chopped, thought I am so far behind on that (16 on the DVR)and selected episodes of Ina and Giada (I make notes on the recipes I want on my LC as I watch and fast forward the rest).
  Re: Re: Biggest cooking-show cop-out ever! [SPOILERS!] by Cubangirl (I love reality cooki...)
Not just The Next Great Baker, but also MasterChef: Peru, if you have the right TLC.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Biggest cooking-show cop-out ever! [SPOILERS!] by labradors (Not just [i]The Next...)
Don't think I get that Labs, but it would be fun.