ATTN: Jean & Roy
  Re: (...)
On your way to Austin, spend a day or two in Fredricksburg/Kerrville. Great German food, the best winery in Texas (Grape Creek), and the biggest (and good), Becker Vineyards. Visit the whole Hill Country Wine Trail--some really good surprises. The Nimitz Museum could take a day--(He was born and raised there). Scenery!!!! I love it and you will too!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: ATTN: Jean & Roy by Old Bay (On your way to Austi...)
Hmmmm, we were planning on skipping Fredricksburg because we had stopped there before and weren't impressed with the wine. BUT, it was years ago and we didn't really know where to go and I think we just spent a few hours because we were staying in San Antonio...... will rethink this.

Thanks Bill for the info.

And, while we're on the subject - apologies to my S.S. (Sharon), but we won't be to Bill & Jane's until after the 4th of Feb. Schedules cropped up after all, so hang on.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: ATTN: Jean & Roy by cjs (Hmmmm, we were plann...)
There is also some of the best wurst, and biggest variety in the USA!
  Re: Re: ATTN: Jean & Roy by Old Bay (There is also some o...)
O.k., we're going to Fredricksburg/Kerrville for 4 days!! Have all kinds of notes/lists made

Der Lindenbaum restaurant - and I'm ordering: Beef & pork meatballs in caper sauce. Roy loves Schnetzels, so he'll probably choose one of those.

14 wineries listed in the area

Barrison Bros. Distillery (bourbon) tasting............

Grape Creek Vineyards for sure

Opa's Smoked Meats and Dutchman's Market.

Whew, I'm exhausted!! 4 days?????????????
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: ATTN: Jean & Roy by cjs (O.k., we're going to...)
Jean & Roy's Big Adventure!!!

Wasn't this a movie????
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: ATTN: Jean & Roy by cjs (O.k., we're going to...)
OMG, I'll catch hell if this doesn't work!!! I give Grape Creek an overall 87 on their dry wine (Parker scale) and Becker an 84--ports are exceptional (warm climate). Don't expect Napa, Willamette, or Walla Walla, but really good--I think Texas is the 4th best (but really good) in the USA. Grape Creek's super Tuscan is my favorite, a little expensive but the tasting is reasonable, Becker has a huge tasting room and selection--make sure they are open on the day you go. I'm not concerned about the food. Have fun!!!
  Re: Re: ATTN: Jean & Roy by Old Bay (OMG, I'll catch hell...)
I'll just tell everyone "Bill sent me!!" then we'll get special treatment.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: ATTN: Jean & Roy by cjs (I'll just tell every...)
I wish you a better dining experience at your next destination. If I'm ever in San Angelo I will avoid that steak house--never seen a steak like that. Did they boil it?
  Re: Re: ATTN: Jean & Roy by Old Bay (I wish you a better ...)
Looks like it, doesn't it??
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: ATTN: Jean & Roy by cjs (Looks like it, doesn...)
Jean, when are y'all going to Fredricksberg? There's a kitchen shop on Main Street you should go through. Let me know if you have questions about food. I've eaten there a lot
Allison aka Younger Bay
"The only real stumbling block is fear of failure. In cooking you've got to have a what-the-hell attitude." - Julia Child