Pressure Canning Help
  Re: (...)
So today I made a big batch of my turkey noodle soup. I have a lot of stock left over that I thought "Oh I'll can it!" and some left over soup.

I know how long to can it and at what pressure. (Using pint jars) but what the instructions on my canner do not tell me is how much water to put in?

It says to add water to the lowest fill line. Well that's not very much. If using quart jars that barely covers an inch on the bottom and for pint jars about 1.5 inches. There are 3 other lines in the pan but the instructions don't even mention these no clue why they are there.

So for you canners. Using pint jars do you make sure the water covers up to 1/2 way? I know it's not like a water bath where they are submerged.

Very confused here.
  Re: Pressure Canning Help by DFen911 (So today I made a bi...)
Good Luck Denise - I've never canned in a pressure cooker and never will (won't add this to the bucket list ) - scares the holy h*ll out of me.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Pressure Canning Help by cjs (Good Luck Denise - I...)
Denise, I have never used a pressure canner. I just looked it up in a canning book that I really like: Blue Ribbon Preserves, by Linda J. Amendt.

Her instructions say: Place a metal rack in the bottom of the canner. Set the canner on the stove or cooktop and add 2 to 3 inches of water. An additional inch or 2 of water will be needed in pressure canners with weighted gauges that steam continuously during processing. Do not allow the jars to touch the side of the pan and leave at least 1 inch of space between jars for good heat circulation.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Pressure Canning Help by DFen911 (So today I made a bi...)
I am VERY interested in this pressure canning thing. I would love to can soup, stock... I don't know what else.

My kids (my son in particular) would love this! Food in a jar ready to heat and eat!
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Pressure Canning Help by luvnit (I am VERY interested...)
Well here it goes, I have about 3.5 inches of water since steam will escape during the process. I have 5 pints of stock and 3 pints of soup so will process at the longest processing time of 75 min at 10lb psi.

Thanks Erin for looking that up. I checked on Ball's site and they only say fill to manufacturers recommendation meh.
  Re: Re: Pressure Canning Help by DFen911 (Well here it goes, I...)
Ok pressure lock just popped up now waiting for the weight to start jiggling which is taking forever. Refrigerator just made a popping noise and about scared the piddle out of me!!

I wish they gave an indication of how long it would take before the weight starts to jiggle.
  Re: Re: Pressure Canning Help by DFen911 (Well here it goes, I...)
Good luck, Denise! Be careful!

My only adult experience with the things was when my friend's spewed a whole pot of hot stew on him and their whole kitchen and dining area with 15 foot ceiling! They had to hire pros to come in and clean it. He was lucky with minor burns. Before this incident I was fearful of them, but now? NO WAY!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Pressure Canning Help by Gourmet_Mom (Good luck, Denise! ...)
Well the valve is finally jiggling at a nice and steady pace. It has to process for 75 minutes which means I am here glued watching this thing waiting for it to explode lol!!
  Re: Re: Pressure Canning Help by DFen911 (Well the valve is fi...)
What kind of pressure cooker are you using? Take a picture! What kind of soup are you canning?
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Pressure Canning Help by luvnit (What kind of pressur...)
I have a Presto 16 quart pressure canner. It doesn't have a gauge just the teat for the weight.

38 minutes and counting...