Three Cheese Croque Monsieur
  Re: (...)
Ooooooo!!!! And La! La!

This weeks' food section in the Philadelphia Inquirer has a recipe for a Three Cheese Croque Monsieur! If anyone wants, I'll post the recipe tomorrow since I'm getting ready to do dinner for tonight and will be signing off.

Has anyone ever made a Croque Monsieur? Can you recommend a commercial bread for this or do I have to make one? I've been intrigued ever since hearing about it in the movie, "It's Complicated". Can't wait!!

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Three Cheese Croque Monsieur by BarbaraS (Ooooooo!!!! And La!...)
A friend of mine made this for a party after her trip to Paris. It was really good and she used a really good crusty ciabatta loaf. It made for some nice, crusty/chewy edges. Very good.

Yeah, post the recipe! Sounds amazing!
And a pic if you make it!
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Three Cheese Croque Monsieur by luvnit (A friend of mine mad...)
I second that! What's not to love about anything with three cheeses?
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Three Cheese Croque Monsieur by Mare749 (I second that! What'...)
Quote:

I second that! What's not to love about anything with three cheeses?

Maybe Prokofiev should have written The Love of Three Cheeses, instead of [i]The Love of Three Oranges."
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Three Cheese Croque Monsieur by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Love Croque Monsieur on a good rustic bread. I bet Ciabatta would be good, also. I've used Gruyere and Parm - interesting to hear what the 3rd cheese is.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Three Cheese Croque Monsieur by cjs (Love Croque Monsieur...)
Three Cheese Croque Monsieur
(Makes 4 sandwiches)

For the onions:
1/2 lb (1 medium) yellow onion halved and sliced into 1/4 inch half moons
1 small fresh bay leaf
1 TBS canola oil
1 TBS unsalted butter cut into 4 cubes
Salt
Freshly ground black pepper

For the Mornay sauce:
2 TBS unsalted butter
2 TBS flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
a few grates of fresh nutmeg or 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
1 cup warm milk
1 cup grated Gruyere cheese

For the sandwiches:
1/2 cup grated Gruyere cheese
1/2 cup grated fontal cheese.
8 slices country bread about 7 inches across and 1/2 inch thick
4 TBS (1/2 stick) unsalted butter at room temperature
4 tsp Dijon-style mustard
1/2 cup caramelized onions
6 ounces Camembert cheese cut into 1/3 inch thick slices
8 ounces very thinly sliced Virginia or Black Forest ham (see note)
1 cup Mornay sauce

1. For the onions: Heat a large saute pan over medium heat for several minutes. Spread the onions evenly in the pan, along with the bay leaf, and let them sit untouched for a couple of minutes. Drizzle the oil evenly over them and dot with butter. Do not stir them for several minutes. (The goal is to let some of the onion's moisture evaporate and to get some good color on the onions at the start. Once you stir, water will be released, and the caramelizing will end until that water evaporates.) Stir the onions, using a flat-edged wooden spoon to scrape up all the browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Let the onions cook, stirring often, for 20 to 25 minutes, until they are golden brown and nicely caramelized. The yield is about 1/2 cup.
2. For the Mornay sauce: Heat the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat until it bubbles. Whisk in the flour, salt, pepper, and nutmeg, and cook for 2 or 3 minutes, to create a nutty-brown roux. Slowly whisk in the milk, beating constantly to prevent lumps from forming. Cook the sauce for 2 or 3 minutes, until well thickened and bubbling. Remove from the heat and add the cheese, stirring until it is melted. The yield is about 1 1/4 cups.
3. For the sandwiches: Position a rack in the upper third of the oven and preheat the broiler to high. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Combine the Gruyere and fontal cheeses in a small bowl.
4. Completely cover each slice of bread with butter on one side and with mustard on the other side. Place 4 of the slices in a large nonstick skillet, buttered side down. Top each slice with 2 tablespoons of caramelized onions, Camembert slices, ham slices, and 1/4 cup of the grated cheese mixture. Top each with a slice of bread, buttered side up. Cook the sandwiches over medium heat until golden brown, 5 to 7 minutes, lightly pressing down on them with a spatula to ensure even toasting. Carefully turn the sandwiches over and toast them on the second side until golden brown, 4 to 6 minutes.
5. Transfer the sandwiches to the baking sheet and spread about 1/4 cup of Mornay sauce over each one. Broil for 3 or 4 minutes, until the sauce is bubbling and nicely browned. Serve right away.

Note: Deli ham in grocery stores often is loaded with water. It is a good idea to portion the ham for your sandwiches, place the portions on a plate between a double thickness of paper towels, and microwave the ham for 30 seconds. This releases a lot of the water. Blot the ham with the paper towels as much as possible.
Per half-sandwich: 410 calories, 19 grams protein, 25 grams carbohydrates, 6 grams sugar, 26 grams fat, 80 milligrams cholesterol, 950 milligrams sodium, no dietary fiber.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Three Cheese Croque Monsieur by BarbaraS (Three Cheese Croque ...)
Learn something new everyday!! When I read "1/2 cup grated fontal cheese" I wondered if you meant Fontina. Had to look it up -

Fontal
Originally the French version of Fontina, Fontal has developed into a distinct cheese of its own. It is generally made commercially on a large scale. It is tender and buttery with a bland taste and a yellow paste with tiny holes.

[Image: fontalcheese.png]

---

And just think we're going to be seeing Cheesemonger in the next few days and we see if we can find 'fontal'

Sounds wonderful, Barbara
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Three Cheese Croque Monsieur by cjs (Learn something new ...)
Thanks for the recipe, Barbara----printed but don't know when I will fit that in but is a DEFINITE!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Three Cheese Croque Monsieur by Roxanne 21 (Thanks for the recip...)
We will find one or maybe even two variations of Fontina Fontal
Allison aka Younger Bay
"The only real stumbling block is fear of failure. In cooking you've got to have a what-the-hell attitude." - Julia Child
  Re: Re: Three Cheese Croque Monsieur by cheesemonger (We will find one or ...)
Eat your hearts out - all of you!! We are going to have a ball with Allison!!!!
www.achefsjourney.com