Superbowl Plans?
  Re: Re: Superbowl Plans? by esgunn (Best wishes Bill and...)
Maryann that is awesome! Thank you
  Re: Re: Superbowl Plans? by DFen911 (Maryann that is awes...)
I ran across this one yesterday in one of my newsletters - So, I may play with it.

While you might be inclined to use cheddar cheese in this sauce, I’ve found that Monterey Jack gives a much better texture -- cheddar just won’t get as smooth. If you really miss the cheddar flavor, try adding half cheddar and half jack instead.

Nacho Cheese Sauce
Makes about a pint of sauce

3 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 tablespoons onion, minced
2 tablespoons green chile, chopped
2 tablespoons tomato, seeded and finely chopped
1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 tablespoons all purpose flour (or gluten-free flour mix)
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 cup buttermilk
2 ounces Monterey Jack cheese
1 tablespoon olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

Melt 2 tablespoons of the butter over low heat in a sauté pan. Add the onion, green chile, tomato, turmeric, paprika and cayenne pepper. Cook for 5 to 10 minutes until the onion softens completely.

Add the remaining butter and the flour, and continue to cook on low for another 2 minutes. Add the cream, ½ cup of the buttermilk and cheese and stir to until the cheese melts. Add in the remaining buttermilk a little at a time until you get a velvety sauce, about 10 minutes.

Transfer the sauce to a blender (I use a hand blender) and pulse until completely smooth. Stream in the olive oil and continue to blend. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve with chips and pickled jalapenos.

You can make this sauce a day ahead and keep it in a sealed jar. Reheat in the microwave for a minute, stir, and finish heating another minute to serve.

Quick Pickled Jalapenos

1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1 or 2 jalapenos

Place the salt, water, and vinegar in a bowl and heat until the salt dissolves (the microwave is fine for this!). Slice the jalapeno into rounds, and add to the brine. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
From Food 52 Newsletter, 1/31/13
---------------

That should use up the bag of chips and I can quit making nachos for a while.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Superbowl Plans? by cjs (I ran across this on...)
Probably too late, but check this appie out - it's making my teeth curl....but it also sounds darn good.

Toffee Cheese Puffs

This variation of Sweet Crunchy Nuts is a killer addictive snack. The crunchy cheese puffs have a toffee coating that is irresistable. It takes some attention, but it is simple and well worth the time. Plan on making extras of this recipe for snacking.

1 (12 ounce) bag baked crunchy cheese puffs
Vegetable cooking spray
2 cups light brown sugar, packed
1 cup (2 sticks) margarine (do not use soft/whipped margarine or butter )
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1/2 tsp baking soda

1. Preheat oven to 250 F. Line a jelly roll baking pan with nonstick foil.

2. Spray a very large metal mixing bowl with cooking spray. Fill with the cheese puffs and set aside.

3. Combine brown sugar, margarine, and corn syrup in a medium heavy saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce to low, and cook for 5 minutes, stirring often. Watch carefully that it does not boil over. Remove from heat and stir in baking soda. It will foam a bit and turn creamy in color.

4. Immediately pour mixture over the cheese puffs. Use two large spoons to toss thoroughly to coat. Spread out on the prepared baking pan and bake for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes to separate. When done, stir one last time to separate. Pour onto parchment paper and spread in a single layer to cool. Seal these snacks tightly to store.

5. Yield: about 10 cups

Source
Author: By Peggy Trowbridge Filippone, About.com Guide
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Superbowl Plans? by cjs (Probably too late, ...)
We will be making pizzas and some punch (the green stuff) and I found these today on Facebook. It's a Pampered Chef recipe. Cut up hot dogs and an 8 oz package of corn muffin mix divided into a mini muffin pan.

[Image: 76303_10151261886712341_1685517223_n.jpg]
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Superbowl Plans? by luvnit (We will be making pi...)
We are having cherry cola bbq glazed ribs and au gratin potatoes. For an appetizer I am making those buffalo chicken biscuit popper things with bleu cheese and carrot & celery sticks.
  Re: Re: Superbowl Plans? by Trixxee (We are having cherry...)
So, the final menu for our Super Bowl/Mardi Gras party...Holly is making jambalaya, I am making 4 muffaletta, Heather is making crab dip, and our drink is French 75.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Superbowl Plans? by Mare749 (So, the final menu f...)
Fancy! I had to look that one up!

In addition to the catfish stew, William had brought home a few pieces fried. After going out, I had stopped at the store for some tartar sauce with the intent of having the fried fish for dinner and stew for lunch today. When I got home, he had eaten the fried!!!!!! Okay, so stew for dinner and lunch. HE SCORCHED IT!!!!!!!!

All that said, I'm making him fry me some for dinner tonight!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Superbowl Plans? by Gourmet_Mom (Fancy! I had to loo...)
Mmmm, catfish stew...Have you posted a recipe for this, Daphne?
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Superbowl Plans? by Mare749 (Mmmm, catfish stew.....)
It's not really a recipe. We use a cast iron Dutch oven. Put a thick layer of bacon on the bottom. For 3 to 4 pounds of fish, slice 4 to 6 each medium potatoes and onions. Layer onions, potatoes, and fish. Season with a little salt and a lot of pepper (depending on your tolerance for heat.) Repeat until all the fish is used. Cover and put on low heat and cook until potatoes are tender. From the moisture of the veggies and rinsed fish, there will be plenty of liquid. Just don't let it get too hot. It will scorch....see above! LOL! It is soooooo good! Here is a website you may get a kick out of!

Savannah River Catfish Stew
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Superbowl Plans? by Gourmet_Mom (It's not really a re...)
Believe it or not, I bought a small bag of cheese puffs at the store today. I can't believe I'm going to try this one.

We also brought home our l/0 Buffalo wings, so I'll be making more of the biscuit popper things too, Trixxee!!!

Just opened a bottle of BlackStone Merlot '10, Acampo,CA wine - not bad.
www.achefsjourney.com