Review issue 97 - Chicken Fried Steak
  Re: (...)
Ok did this recipe tonight. The only change I made was the cut of beef, had to go with round steak.

Now, they have you tenderize the steak with a plate. Don't do this. Seriously I have no idea who thought this was a good idea because if you have even the smallest crack your plate (and you may not even know it's there---till you pound meat) and your plate breaks you are A- out a plate and B- picking out shards of porcelain from your meat. I switched over to a metal scraper with much better results.

The sauce was very good, but was extremely thick for the ingredient list, I had to add about another 1/2 cup of milk. I used Jersey crushed tomatoes (yum)

The onion ring straws - just do yourself a huge favor and make a double batch. The first batch you and your family will nibble away at while you're waiting for the others to cook

I would give this recipe a solid 8.5.

[Image: image_zpsbc26cf60.jpg]
  Re: Review issue 97 - Chicken Fried Steak by DFen911 (Ok did this recipe t...)
Hate to tell you this Denise, but using a plate is the way I first learned how to tenderize meat. My mom and my grandma both used this method. 'Course we never used fine china...

I love chicken fried steak and have not done it in a long time. And, the onions - yum!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Review issue 97 - Chicken Fried Steak by cjs (Hate to tell you thi...)
Glad you liked it! I think may have added a little bit more milk as well. I didn't make the onions but I think that was a big mistake!
  Re: Review issue 97 - Chicken Fried Steak by DFen911 (Ok did this recipe t...)
Well this is on the near future list. Went to Whole Foods yesterday and bought two flat iron steaks. They also had Fontal cheese for the Croque Monsieur I'm making next Saturday. I'll use my Correlle dish to tenderize the steak. You need a small amount of dynamite to bust up one of those suckers.

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Review issue 97 - Chicken Fried Steak by BarbaraS (Well this is on the ...)
Forgot to mention - Allison found some Fontal cheese for me at Central market. I'll be doing these sandwiches also!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com