Making Tortillas
  Re: (...)
I should have added this to my bucket list - I've never been real happy with any of the tortillas I've made. But, because of the recipe in 300 Best Tacos or the humidity, I just made a batch of perfect little devills!!!!

No wax paper and not too much parchment, so wasted a lot of plastic wrap - altho, I did reroll it on a rolling pin so I can use it again.

[Image: Jan28Corntortillasreadytocook.jpg]

Cooking perfectly -
[Image: Jan28CornTortillascooking.jpg]

and here's the first batch I've ever been proud of!!
[Image: Jan28CornTrotillas2.jpg]

the recipe:

2 cups masa harina
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1 1/2 cups very warm (almost hot) water

It kneaded up beautifully. This batch I used 1.0 oz. size balls, but ended up with 21 when the recipe said should make 16. So, next time I'll try 1.5 oz. of dough. 50 seconds on each side. I'm so proud.
------------

Sharon, I did find the blue corn stuff before I left, but didn't bring any with me, so I'll have that to look forward to.

Flank Steak Tacos today!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Making Tortillas by cjs (I should have added ...)
Those look really good, Jean. Are they crunchy like tacos or soft tortillas? We prefer the soft kind most of the time, except for fish tacos.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Making Tortillas by Mare749 (Those look really go...)
These have just been dry cooked in the above picture, Maraynn. To reheat, you can have them soft tacos by

1. place on b. sheet and heat in a 200°F preheated oven for 8 to 10 min.

2. Skillet-Warmed - gives you a soft pliable tortilla that is lightly toasted on each side. Place a dry nonstick or cast-iron skillet over med. heat. Place tortilla in skillet and heat each side by turning once until warm and pliable, about 1 min. per side. Place in a warmer or wrap in foil to keep warm.

3. Or spray both sides with cooking spray before putting in warm skillet.

4. Or cook the old-fashioned method we did for the family - light sheen on oil and fry till crisp, but still foldable.

Gee, these were so good and I'm so happy I worked with them again.

[Image: Jan28FlankSteakTacowFeta1.jpg]
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Making Tortillas by cjs (These have just been...)
I have to try this. Those look delicious.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Making Tortillas by cjs (These have just been...)
They look lovely Jean. I had fun making them too and the dough feels so good and has such a nice texture! Glad to see your new purchases are a hit!
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Making Tortillas by cjs (I should have added ...)
Those are beautiful Jean! I need to get some fresh masa next trip to the store. I think the HOT water is the trick, it seems to rehydrate the masa better.

I use a plastic freezer bag (cut the sides open) in the press and it works like a charm.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Making Tortillas by Harborwitch (Those are beautiful ...)
For pressing or storing the raw tortillas, Sharon?? For pressing, yes, but the tortillas are to be stcked with wax paper(or whatever) between them until cooked. I wouldn't want to use that many plastic bags - be even more expensive than plastic wrap.

I'm going to pick up a box of those waxed sheets for sandwiches from Cash & Carry.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Making Tortillas by cjs (For pressing or stor...)
Beautiful, Jean!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Making Tortillas by Gourmet_Mom (Beautiful, Jean!...)
those are gorgeous,Jean! So now I have the recipe...did you use a press or just roll them out?
  Re: Re: Making Tortillas by karyn (those are gorgeous,J...)
Jean,

Those look awesome!

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.