French Onion Soup - Beef or Veal Stock Or A Combo?
  Re: (...)
Hey All,

A while back when we were at the Italian Market, I picked up a quart of Veal Stock by Kitchen Basics. I rarely see Kitchen Basics' stocks around anymore, and figured this was better than gold and I'd use it or freeze it before its expiration date. Gotta make the DiBruno Bros store if you're ever in Philly. Better yet, let ME take YOU. I know where to park.

So I was looking for the C@H issue with the Country-Fried steaks when I came across the Philly Inquirer Food section with the Croque Monsieur recipe and it also had a recipe for French Onion Soup using veal, beef, and chicken stock.

So I would like to know your opinions about the stocks used for French Onion soup. I've made the C@H recipe before and it's where I learned how to do a beef stock, but combining beef and veal sounds really good, too.

And I like the way that Croque Monsieur recipe caramelized the onions - lots of great color, but the black bits stuck to the copper-core All Clad and didn't come out in the wash. What's up with that?

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: French Onion Soup - Beef or Veal Stock Or A Combo? by BarbaraS (Hey All,[br][br]A wh...)
Well, I'm no help here. Never seen veal stock around here.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: French Onion Soup - Beef or Veal Stock Or A Combo? by BarbaraS (Hey All,[br][br]A wh...)
As far as the pan goes, have you tried heating it up and deglazing it? For just cleaning, you don't have to use wine or stock - only water, but if it works for cooking, why not for cleaning? In fact, I've done this, myself, and it's a lot easier than scrubbing the pan!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: French Onion Soup - Beef or Veal Stock Or A Combo? by Gourmet_Mom (Well, I'm no help he...)
Daphne,

That's why I bought it! Never seen it before or since!

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: French Onion Soup - Beef or Veal Stock Or A Combo? by labradors (As far as the pan go...)
Labs,

We'll figure this out. Boiling would be a good try.

Barbara
  Re: Re: French Onion Soup - Beef or Veal Stock Or A Combo? by BarbaraS (Labs,[br][br]We'll f...)
You'll have fun using veal stock - I think it gives dishes a 'softer' more subtle flavoring than beef and it's so worth using in something like a jus for French Dip sandwiches.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: French Onion Soup - Beef or Veal Stock Or A Combo? by cjs (You'll have fun usin...)
I always use beef stock that I have made. I know that Chef James uses a great deal of veal stock at Petite....just a more subtle flavor.

Barb, I use Labs' trick for the fondant that is stuck---works like a charm every time!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: French Onion Soup - Beef or Veal Stock Or A Combo? by Roxanne 21 (I always use beef st...)
Barbara, here is a tip that I copied from Laura's post a while back. It worked well for me.

Tips For Cleaning a Burned Pan

This is from Laura:
I got this from E-How. I have never tried it but...
cover pan completely with a generous amount of baking soda. Drizzle in just enough water to create a thick paste, smearing the paste up the sides of the pot if needed. Set aside for at least 4 hours, preferably overnight.
Without rinsing the pot, add 3 parts water to 1 part distilled vinegar to cover the burned area by at least 2 inches (5 cm). Boil for 10 minutes and then leave overnight.
Repeat as needed.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: French Onion Soup - Beef or Veal Stock Or A Combo? by Mare749 (Barbara, here is a t...)
Thanks for all the suggestions. Nex time I do French Onion Soup I'll do 1/2-1/2 beef and veal stocks.

The pan isn't too bad, I was just more surprised it didn't clean up in the first place.

Barbara