Warning - Long One, Montgomery, Alabama
  Re: (...)
What a day we had - what a wonderful state and people!! I haven' walked so much in forever, but was it ever worth every step.

Feb 5th – Fun Day in Montgomery, AL

Driving around, we found the Governor’s Mansion and the State Capitol – Both beautiful bldgs.

[Image: Feb5GovsMansion_zps97ebdfee.jpg]

On to breakfast at Chef Michael Bertozzi’s Central restaurant – We split a Margharita flatbread and Crispy Oyster Salad: Crispy bacon lardons, shaved Pecorino Romano, Lemon Anchovy vinaigrette (a takeoff of a Caesar – lemon, olive oil, deli mustard, anchovies) , with fried oysters and artichoke croutons. The salad was wonderful!! We ate all the salad, but doggy bagged most of the flatbread. Cartlidge & Brown’s ’09 Zin from Healdsburg (where we used to live), CA was excellent with the Oyster salad and vinaigrette. Have never see this wine before – we’re on the lookout for it, tho.
[Image: Feb5MargaritaFlatbrdCentral_zps58cd0e13.jpg]

[Image: Feb5OysterSaladCentral_zps74e07fa0.jpg]

Then we walked around the Alabama River Walk and saw the high water mark of 1961 and the whole town must have been under water. Amazing. Visited Hank William’s Museum and listened to his music for quite a while. Picked up a cookbook there – Hall of Fame of Southern Recipes. There is evidently a Hall of Fame book for each state. Would love to start collecting them.

Time for lunch at Capitol Oyster Bar – You can’t believe the neighborhoods and roads we traveled to end up here.
[Image: Feb5CapitolOysterBarShack_zps8b8a6a5d.jpg]

Roy almost wouldn’t let me out of the car, but perseverance got us in for Oysters Rockefeller and the Gumbo I’ve been looking for. Wonderful!! I also ordered to go (to play with later) a grilled Amberjack (have never heard of this one) Po’boy and a container of Crawfish Cream Sauce. Don’t know what I’ll do with them, but that Amberjack better be a tasty fish, it was expensive!!
[Image: Feb5RoysOysterRockCapitolOysterBar_zps56337cd9.jpg]

[Image: Feb5GumboCapitolOysterBar_zps53ed7158.jpg]

The highlight and the most moving of the day was visiting the Civil Rights Memorial. Good Lord, I started crying the minute I saw the Martin Luther King wall – so moving. And all around the rim of the Fountain are names and events of the killing of so many during those days and the senseless murders. I’ve never seen anything like it. Through the whole exhibit and movie, I couldn’t help but think of how I had to choose between being a ‘good girl,’ staying where I ‘belonged’ and raising my kids, when I so wanted to do something to be a little part of this time and show support. But, I chose the family and watched from the sidelines. Would be interesting and frightening to know where I would be today had I chosen differently. If you ever get the chance to see this memorial, it is so worth it.

[Image: Feb5CivilRightsMonumentMontgomery_zps485b6ea6.jpg]

[Image: Feb5CivilRightsFountain3_zps65b2351f.jpg]

[Image: Feb5CivilRightsFountain_zps445da604.jpg]

[Image: Feb5CivilRightsFountain2_zpsf56134d7.jpg]

By this time we were just about worn out, so needed sustenance…. Drove to Sinclair’s, a small funky neighborhood restaurant. Roy had Chicken Piccata and I had a darn good grilled steak. I ended the day with a shot of Kahlua over ice. We then dragged ourselves home and to bed. Up early to head for a one night stay in Forsyth, GA. Won’t have to do much cooking in the next few days, we brought home doggie bags from every stop!!

[Image: Feb5KahluaatSinclairs_zps90b07e44.jpg]
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Warning - Long One, Montgomery, Alabama by cjs (What a day we had - ...)
Lots of cool stuff!

The REAL Hank? Not Hank, Jr,? Don't get me wrong: Hank, Jr. was good in his heyday, but Hank SR. was truly great.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Warning - Long One, Montgomery, Alabama by labradors (Lots of cool stuff![...)
Oh Jean, how I envy you and Roy! What a wonderful day you had.
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Warning - Long One, Montgomery, Alabama by farnfam (Oh Jean, how I envy ...)
Keep building those memories, Jean and Roy. Truly special moments to keep for ever!!!! Thanks for sharing, again!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Warning - Long One, Montgomery, Alabama by Roxanne 21 (Keep building those ...)
The real hank - I'm on my iPad or I would type more
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Warning - Long One, Montgomery, Alabama by cjs (The real hank - I'm ...)
Wow, what an emotional but wonderful day. Your pictures of the Civil Rights Memorial brought tears.

Love the food pics. How did you like the oysters? The gumbo looks like it was properly made with a nice brown roux. Amazing food day. I'll bet your brain is just humming with ideas right now...
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Warning - Long One, Montgomery, Alabama by Mare749 (Wow, what an emotion...)
Quote:

Wow, what an emotional but wonderful day. Your pictures of the Civil Rights Memorial brought tears.

Love the food pics. How did you like the oysters? The gumbo looks like it was properly made with a nice brown roux. Amazing food day. I'll bet your brain is just humming with ideas right now...

I am green with envy! How wonderful. It got me crying just looking at the pictures from the Memorial. I know how hard that choice was.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Warning - Long One, Montgomery, Alabama by Harborwitch ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
My heart gets so heavy when I think of all the racial injustices that have happened in American history. Despicable.

Michael has to read the Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass for history and I know I'm going to cry when I read it.

The food looks fantastic - especially the oysters!
  Re: Re: Warning - Long One, Montgomery, Alabama by Trixxee (My heart gets so hea...)
Jean...you can talk to your iPad and she'll type for you just need an Internet connection.

Love the pictures and now I want to try an oyster because of that shot!

Drive safe and keep posting
  Re: Re: Warning - Long One, Montgomery, Alabama by DFen911 (Jean...you can talk ...)
Maryann, I'll tell you that Pond memorial was about the most moving experience I've had. All those wonderful souls.

I'm hooked up, Denise - I did post that from my iPad, just hate the bumping up and down as I try to type a long missive... But, I did send you a msg. abour 'files' on the home page - did you get it?

Trixxee and Sharon - it is heartbreaking
www.achefsjourney.com