Carrabelle, Apalachicola, & St. George Island, FL
  Re: (...)
2/13/13, Wednesday – Carrabelle & Apalachicola, FL

Walked around Apalachicola to a couple of tourist trap shops – in one we met a fellow who said he was from Novato(Sonoma County, CA), we mentioned we had lived in Healdsburg (Sonoma Country, CA) and the clerk said she had just been to Cloverdale (Sonoma County, CA) – it is such a darn small world. There was a third couple in the store and I asked them if they, too, were from the same area and he replied in the most beautiful drawl he had been born in Apalachicola. Love the slow, soft way of speaking in this area – I wish some of that would rub off on me.

Had lunch at The Owl Café – downstairs (to the left of the stairway, was a great kitchen shop. She had just about everything imaginable. I picked up Lime Honey (to play with as a drizzle for Key Lime Pie), Tomato Jam and a jar of Mango Salsa. Also found a pkg. of Hurricane Cocktail Mix – from Pat O’Brien’s, the bar June Jacobs is telling me I need to try the drink in New Orleans.

We ordered samples of food – Blue Crab cakes, Apalachicola Oysters with mustard horseradish sauce, and I’ve been wanting to have more gator and try some Southern fixed grits, so we ordered one ‘full’ dinner to try ‘Gator & Pork Sausage Creole over Grit Cakes. First problem, server came back to tell me the kitchen didn’t have any grits (no grits in Florida???) and she could sub rice. Not too happy with that, but agreed ‘cause I really wanted gator. 2nd problem, I read the menu incorrectly - in my mind they were offering gator chunks and bulk pork sausage creole over the grit cakes. Not so, it was a combination gator and pork sausage. My own fault, but I was sure disappointed. The dish was very good and the sausage delicious! But. Roy had a salad with a creamy horseradish dressing that looked like it had a grainy mustard included, so took a picture of that to recreate – I’m not a fan of horseradish, but this was very good. Caramel Custard for dessert, a very good flan. The Owl’s Wine cellar was one of the best we’ve seen anywhere out here.

[Image: Feb13HurricaneCocktailMix_zps1d0e1667.jpg]

[Image: Feb13TheOwlCafe_zps67e959d9.jpg]

Leftovers will morph into something

Walked off lunch by seeing the Vietnam Veterans Memorial in the center of town – another really moving monument. I’m so excited to see these (of some kind) in almost every town we visit. This one had a POW/MIA flag flying below the US flag, but in the most eerie way, the wind stopped blowing after blowing the whole time and I could not get a picture of the black flag outstretched as it had been the whole time wandering around. The “Three Soldiers” statue was so very life-like and emotional as I lost a number of schoolmates during that war, plus husband called up, tho he didn’t have to go over there, Thank God!

[Image: Feb13POWMIAflagwUSFlag_zps71382999.jpg]

[Image: Feb13ViethamMemorialfront_zps66bf2f3d.jpg]

[Image: Feb13VietnamMemorialStatueback_zpseeb0963e.jpg]

Driving to Apalachicola we saw this long, long bridge going out over the water to the west of us, so after exploring, we drove out the bridge to St. George Island which is ~28 miles long and only a mile wide at its widest. Very interesting driving the length of it, so we searched for a good spot to find out more about the area. And, we found it at Harry A’s Bar!!! John, the bartender had lived near us when we lived in Willow Glen, Ca and again when he lived in Sacramento and we lived on the hill in Weimar. Unbelievable!! Anyway, we talk thru 2 drinks (me 2 kahluas/Roy 1 glass wine) and had the best time with him and the others in the bar. The walls and ceiling are covered with dollar bills left by ‘drinkers,’ so had to join the group and left a chef’s journey dollar.

[Image: Feb13HarryAsBarStGeorgeIslandFL_zpsb2a14f4c.jpg]

[Image: Feb13HarryAsBarDollarBill_zps4f8b523f.jpg]

We had planned one more stop at a waterfront restaurant for dinner, but we were still too full and worn out, so headed back home. We did stop by a fish market to find what’s offered and to pick up today. Beautiful red snapper, Grouper throats (I know them as collars in WA) – butcher said to skin them, lightly dredge and fry……I’m sure I’m going to be ‘fried’ out soon, but not yet!!! Also, had smoked mullet and smoked mullet dip that we want to try.

So, Valentine’s day will be interesting – starting out with gator/pork sausage pizza. No bubbly tho, ‘cause we only have one bottle left that we want to share with Bill and Jane.

The Owl Leftover Oyster, Crab (cake), Gator/Pork Sausage Pizza with tomato jam (mixed with Tabasco to cut sweetness) as the sauce. Great flavors!!!
[Image: Feb14TheOwlOysterCrabGatorPizza_zps084deffd.jpg]

----------
Had my haircut locaally this a.m. and I swear I felt like someong had plopped me down in the middle of Steel Magnolias!!!! It was the biggest hoot I've ever had - everyone talking, but in the soft drawal (sp?) that is so beautiful to my ears. And what is amazing to me is the word "ain't" has always been like fingernails on a chalkboard, but down here, it just flows - just remarkable!!

Then stopped at the fish market to pick up Grouper throats and Smoked mullet dip for Valentine's Dinner and GUESS WHAT I FOUND!!!

Aligator meat! I'm now a proud owner of 2 1/2 lbs. of gator meat!!! I'm so excited.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Carrabelle, Apalachicola, & St. George Island, FL by cjs (2/13/13, Wednesday –...)
LOVE IT!
  Re: Re: Carrabelle, Apalachicola, & St. George Island, FL by DFen911 (LOVE IT! [img]/ubbth...)
All kinds of new things yesterday and today.... this is what I found in my rosemary and mint this morning...don't think I want to get drunk enough to test these little buggers.

[Image: Feb14Mintandmushroom_zps5e80587b.jpg]

[Image: Feb14rosemaryandmushroom_zpsa44d639d.jpg]

And then, we had to try Pat O'Brien's Hurricane Cocktail mix. Roy & I split one and now way in h*ll could I drink a whole one and still stand. Wow, these are potent.

[Image: Feb14PatOBriensHurricanCocktail_zps872d3257.jpg]

Now it's time to play in the kitchen.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Carrabelle, Apalachicola, & St. George Island, FL by cjs (All kinds of new thi...)
The food looks great, Jean! Congratulations on scoring the gator meat! Just a suggestion....we found a tempura batter was the best way to fry it. And beware of hurricanes! They are all dangerous! LOL!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Carrabelle, Apalachicola, & St. George Island, FL by cjs (2/13/13, Wednesday –...)
I absolutely LOVE all the stories and pictures! I can live vicariously on them

BTW I am having a Hurricaine too! Right now!

[Image: IMG_20130214_170342.jpg]
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Carrabelle, Apalachicola, & St. George Island, FL by luvnit (I absolutely LOVE al...)
Thanks for the warning, Daphne, but it came too late. My Lord those things are potent!!!

We were with you, Laura!

Made the big mistake of using some of Brother Bill's 96 proof rum in the hurricane and couldn't even make dinner!! Ended up going to a restaurant right here by the park (not having to drive on any publice roads ) and had the best time.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Carrabelle, Apalachicola, & St. George Island, FL by cjs (Thanks for the warni...)
So, our time comes to an end in this area - what a hoot it has been. Last night wrapped it up well for us.

Splitting one Hurricane cocktail was the undoing of me – had my Valentine’s dinner all planned and purchased – fried grouper throats, cole slaw, 18 hour bread with an appetizer of Smoked mullet with crackers and toast rounds.

Roy suggested we go to the restaurant right here by the park, Carrabelle River Marina for dinner instead – we wouldn’t have to drive on any public roads. The bartender at Harry T’s, John, is friends with Stetson and his mom who own the restaurant. What a fun evening it turned out to be.

It was a set dinner menu with a couple of options – I chose steak and crab clusters and Roy had steak and lobster. Salads started us off – mine with honey-mustard dressing. For dessert we had house made Key Lime pie that was much better than the previous one I had tasted. And, Trisha, the owner, kindly gave me the recipe. I told her it would probably end up in a book one day.
Dinner’s destruction:

On to Carrabelle River Marina
Stetson (son), Brandy (server), Chef, and Trisha (Mom and owner)
[Image: Feb14theCrewatRiverMarinarestaurant_zpsb8705f85.jpg]

And a 2 Man Band – and they were very good
[Image: Feb142manbandatRiverMarina_zpse74ca93c.jpg]

Trisha’s Key lime pie was much the better of the two I tasted in this area. I have the recipe if anyone wants it.
[Image: Feb14KeyLimePie_zps22d62632.jpg]
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Carrabelle, Apalachicola, & St. George Island, FL by cjs (So, our time comes t...)
Looks like you and Roy had a wonderful VD!
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Carrabelle, Apalachicola, & St. George Island, FL by luvnit (Looks like you and R...)
Glad you had such a great time in this area. Thanks for posting all your pics, too. It's nice to dream about all those places that we hope to see one day.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Carrabelle, Apalachicola, & St. George Island, FL by Mare749 (Glad you had such a ...)
Sorry to be late with the warning....LOL!

I'm glad you're enjoying the area. I have a cousin that lives in that area. When my aunt and uncle lived there, we used to visit often. It's a beautiful place.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.