Hackberry wood
  Re: (...)
OS brought us a supply of this wood at Christmas. He said that if you use much of it, it can be bitter, but I don't know how much experience he has had with it, if any. But he DID recommend smoking with it.

One of the things I got to play with today was a flat side (Is that the right term?) of brisket. It's just shy of 8 pounds. William wants to try this wood. I have researched it a little and some suggest mixing it with other woods. We have a good supply of Hickory. I would love to hear your thoughts on this.

And Jean, do you still recommend your 4 day smoking method?

And on a similar note, has anyone tried the Trader Joe's Kansas City BBQ Sauce? I picked up some of that to try today, also. Use on my brisket?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Hackberry wood by Gourmet_Mom (OS brought us a supp...)
I've not used it, but read that you won't get as much smoke from it as you would say using pecan.

Flat side is great in my opinion because of the shape of the meat promotes even cooking. The only time I brine my brisket is if its going to be corned beef. Otherwise I just put a good rub on it the night before it goes in the smoker.

The BBQ sauce is a great choice, but after the meat is cooked. I would pull your brisket, mop it, cover it and let it rest for 30 minutes then either slice thin or shred and have extra sauce for that want more. But the meat will probably sing on its own and not even need much
  Re: Re: Hackberry wood by DFen911 (I've not used it, bu...)
Denise, I think this first time I will use the hickory...with maybe some of this for a kick. But I'm sill wondering about Jean's four day method
Daphne
  Re: Re: Hackberry wood by Gourmet_Mom (Denise, I think this...)
Four day method....geez, what did I do? I'm sorry Daphne, but I don't remember this. And, my smoking folder is at home.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Hackberry wood by cjs (Four day method....g...)
I've never even considered cooking with Hackberry. We consider it a trash tree--it breaks easily, attracts mistletoe,damages roofs, is short lived, and is generally ugly. It burns fast--I wouldn't even consider it for a campfire (except for kindling!)
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Hackberry wood by Old Bay (I've never even cons...)
I've seen that in my research, Bill. I have also seen where it is similar to pecan. It is mentioned as an option to use, but mostly in combination with something else. That's probably how we'll use it.
Daphne