Magic Chocolate Flan Cake
  Re: (...)
I am not much of a Baker but last week end I made this cake!

Boy was it a hit. - Made it in a Bundt Pan and it came out great.

I had never heard of this one - but we love flan and the Chocolate Cake was more like a brownie and it had carmel Sauce over the top. - yum

Recipe is from Cooks Country Magazine.

Everything will be all right in the end. So if it is not right, then it's not yet the end.
  Re: Magic Chocolate Flan Cake by mjkcooking (I am not much of a B...)
Uhhhh, Marye - where's the recipe?? Guess I'm off on a search. sounds delicious.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Magic Chocolate Flan Cake by cjs (Uhhhh, Marye - where...)
Here's the recipe....it does look delicious! I found it here.

MAGIC CHOCOLATE FLAN CAKE
Recipe from Cook's Country, Serves 16

CAKE
½ cup caramel sauce (I used Trader Joe’s salted caramel sauce and had a jar of Fran’s caramel sauce to drizzle on top when serving)
½ cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/3 cup cocoa
½ teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon salt
4 ounce bittersweet chocolate, chopped
6 tablespoons unsalted butter
½ cup buttermilk
½ cup sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

FLAN
2 (14-ounce cans) sweetened condensed milk
2 ½ cups whole milk
6 ounces cream cheese
6 large eggs plus 4 large yolks
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1. FOR THE CAKE: Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease 12-cup nonstick Bundt pan. Microwave caramel until easily pourable, about 30 seconds. Pour into pan to coat bottom. Combine flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt in bowl; set aside. Combine chocolate and butter in large bowl and microwave at 50 percent power, stirring occasionally, until melted, 2 to 4 minutes. Whisk buttermilk, sugar, eggs, and vanilla into chocolate mixture until incorporated. Stir in flour mixture until just combined. Pour batter over caramel in prepared pan.

2. FOR THE FLAN: Process all ingredients in blender until smooth, about 1 minute. Gently pour flan over cake batter in Bundt pan and place pan in large roasting pan. Place roasting pan on oven rack and pour warm water into roasting pan until it reaches halfway up side of Bundt pan. Bake until toothpick inserted in cake comes out clean and flan resisters 180 degrees, 75 to 90 minutes (I did 75 minutes and next time would try a little less). Transfer Bundt pan to wire rack. Let cool to room temperature, about 2 hours, then refrigerate until set, at least 8 hours. (Remove roasting pan from oven once water has cooled.)

3. Place bottom third of Bundt pan in bowl of hot tap water for 1 minute. Invert completely flat cake plate, place platter over top of Bundt plan, and gently turn platter and pan upside down. Slowly remove pan, allowing caramel to drizzle over top of cake. Serve with extra caramel sauce drizzled over the top.
  Re: Re: Magic Chocolate Flan Cake by karyn (Here's the recipe......)
Thank you Karyn. That's it. I don't have a sub to cooks country site. And that's the only way you can get the recipes on the mag.

Here is some things. I did.

After when I went to remove. Cake. It didn't come out after the ffirst min. So I did it again. Still didn't come out. So I let it set around 5min in hot water and it came out. My pan is old so could be my pan

I used bittersweet choc from traders joe.

We loved the cake.

Recipe also. I found. At a just a pinch site. But was made with a cake mix. I opted for this recipe.
Everything will be all right in the end. So if it is not right, then it's not yet the end.
  Re: Re: Magic Chocolate Flan Cake by mjkcooking (Thank you Karyn. Tha...)
Thanks for the tips! I think I''l make this for my book club on Thursday. I really want to give it a try.

I've found that popular Cook's Country and Cook's Illustrated recipes have become much easier to find on-line recently. I think they must have relaxed about it as long as bloggers give credit.
  Re: Re: Magic Chocolate Flan Cake by karyn (Here's the recipe......)
Oh . . . oh holy cr@p . . . I think I HAVE to make this. Thank you for sharing this. This cake is going to the top of the list.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Magic Chocolate Flan Cake by Harborwitch (Oh . . . oh holy [ur...)
Here you go

[Image: image_zps7bfa379a.jpg]
  Re: Re: Magic Chocolate Flan Cake by DFen911 (Here you go [img]/ub...)
Wait a minute, I made this for one of our after the 4th party. My picture is almost exactly the same!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Magic Chocolate Flan Cake by cjs (Wait a minute, I mad...)
The last one? It looks so good. I have some mini silicon bundt pans with me. I wonder if it would be too big a pain in the ar$e to make in those?
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Magic Chocolate Flan Cake by Harborwitch (The last one? It loo...)
I got that picture off the Cooks Country web site where the recipe was