Your Favorite Tarts
  Re: (...)
When I go food shopping at Wegman's on Friday, it's hard to NOT go down the dessert case and see the beautiful tartlets and creme brulees they have for sale. But at $5 per, it's expensive.

I just discovered that I had 4 mini tart pans and would like to make some again, but I do remember that C@H had one issue with tarts - the one I lost and had to replace!

So does anyone have nice tart recipes they want to share?

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Your Favorite Tarts by BarbaraS (When I go food shopp...)
Sorry, no tart recipes, but would be interested in knowing which issue C@H had with tarts!
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Your Favorite Tarts by chef_Tab (Sorry, no tart recip...)
I have that issue...do you want me to scan any of the pages?
  Re: Re: Your Favorite Tarts by karyn (I have that issue......)
Just to give you an idea of C@H recipes -

tarts, 26:34 — see also tart pans; tart shells
banana split, 26:44
Black Forest tartlets, 77:15
butter pecan tartlets, 42:30
crostata, 89:49
extra pie dough for, 24:5
fig and grape tartlet, 89:51
free-form peach, 16:42, 21:4
fruit, 6:42
Key lime, 26:38
lace cookie fruit, 6:44
lemon, 32:36 lemon-coconut, 32:39
pineapple chess, 26:38
plum crostata, 89:50
radish, 86:43
ratatouille, 76:6
rhubarb, 21:23
salted caramel, 78:35
summer fruit, 58:49
tarte Tatin (apple), 29:38
tomato with goat cheese and basil, 82:22 vs. tortes and torta, 7:42
upside-down apple, 29:38 white chocolate-coconut, 26:38
  Re: Re: Your Favorite Tarts by DFen911 (Just to give you an ...)
The [Email]C@H[/Email] lemon tart and the butter pecan are awesome recipes! I have done a CI pear tart that is a bit finicky but REALLY good. Recently I did a ricotta/pear...interesting inasmuch as I made the ricotta from scratch (Ina's recipe---YUMMMMM)

I forgot to add the fresh fig tart, too. Also great!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Your Favorite Tarts by Roxanne 21 (The [Email]C@H[/Emai...)
Oh my I used to make so many tarts for buffets - sweet, savory, every which way!! I'll look for a couple of the best for you barbara.

----
Back with some ideas - these are the tarts that were most requested when I was catering. I still love to fill them with lemon curd and top with blackberries for R and me. Just love the combination. Have fun!!

CHEVRE TARTS

4 ounces tomato concassé
pepper -- to taste
3 ounces parmesan cheese -- grated
8 ounces puff pastry
olive oil -- as needed
2 ounces Pesto Sauce
4 ounces goat cheese (chèvre), montrachet style
1 pound zucchini -- shredded

1. Season the tomato concassé with fresh-ground pepper; sprinkle with 1 oz. of the Parmesan.

2. Roll out the puff pastry until it is approximately 1/4 inch thick, then cut it into 12 circles, approximately 2 1/2 inches in diameter.

3. Brush mini-muffin tins with olive oil and line them with the puff pastry circles.

4. Add 1 teaspoon of Pesto Sauce to each tart.

5. Add 1/3 ounce of goat cheese to each tart.

6. Add enough shredded zucchini to each tart to nearly fill it.

7. Top each tart with the tomato concassé and sprinkle with the remaining Parmesan.

8. Bake at 375ºF (190ºC) until the tarts are brown on top and the dough is cooked, approximately 15-20 minutes.
Yield: 12 Tarts

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Provençal Tarts
a Chef's Journey

1 sheet (of 2) of a 17.3 pkg. frozen puff pastry
1 jar (9 oz) Williams-Sonoma Artichoke Parmesan Reggiano Tapenade -- (you will use ~1/2 jar) or tapenade of your choice
8 pcs Marinated Dried Tomatoes
1 pkg Goat cheese

Thaw puff pastry according to pkg. directions.
Cut into 16 2" squares. Place each square in a 2 " muffin cup (*or cut to size of any miniature muffin cup pan).
Place ~ 1 tsp. of the tapenade on each square.
Top with a "dab" of goat cheese.
Cut dried tomatoes into 1/4s or 1/8s (depending on size of pc.) and stick in top of tart. (Better to do this ~3/4 of the way thru baking, tomato can darken too much if added earlier

Bake in a 425° oven for 12-15 min. or till pastry is puffed & golden brown.
Remove from muffin cups.
Garnish w/fresh herb sprigs, if desired. Serve warm.
Yield: "16 tarts"

-----------
SMOKED SALMON TARTS
The Complete Do Ahead Cookbook via a Chef's Journey

4 piecrusts -- refrigerated, 9"
1 1/2 cups half and half
4 eggs -- beaten
1/4 pound salmon -- smoked & chopped
2 ounces Monterey Jack cheese -- shredded
1/4 cup green onions -- minced
1/2 teaspoon dillweed -- dried, whole
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper

Cut each piecrust into 14 circles, using a 2 1/2" round cutter. Place rounds in greased miniature (1 3/4") muffin cups; trim excess pastry.

Combine 1/2 & 1/2 and eggs in medium bowl; stir w/wire whisk till well blended.
Stir in salmon & remaining ingredients.

Spoon 1 T. salmon mixture into each pastry shell. Bake at 375° for 25-30 min. or till set.
Remove from pans, & cool on wire racks.

TO STORE: Freeze tarts in a labeled airtight container up to 2 weeks.
TO SERVE: Thaw at room temp. Place on baking sheets; cover and bake at 375° for 5-10 min. or till hot.
Yield: "4 dozen"

Serving Ideas : Wines: White: California or Washington Sauvignon Blanc; French or New Zealand Riesling
Red: California Merlot, or Pinot Noir; Australia Shiraz; Oregon Pinot Noir

--------

Lemon-Blackberry Mini Tarts
Can be made with miniature tarts and just use the filling in each.

1/2 a 15-ounce package folded refrigerated unbaked piecrust (1 crust)
1/2 an 8-ounce package cream cheese -- softened
1/4 cup purchased lemon curd
1 cup fresh blackberries
2 tablespoons seedless blackberry spreadable fruit
2 teaspoons lemon juice
4 mint sprigs
Powdered sugar

Let piecrust stand at room temperature 15 minutes. Preheat oven to 400° F. Unfold piecrust. Cut four 4-1/2- to 5-inch rounds from piecrust. Press rounds firmly into bottom and up sides of four 3-1/2- to 4-inch individual tart pans with removable bottoms. Trim crusts even with top of pans. Prick bottoms of each crust several times with tines of a fork. Place pans on a baking sheet. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until golden. Cool completely on wire rack.

2. In a small mixing bowl beat cream cheese and lemon curd with an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth. Divide filling among pastry shells, spreading evenly. Cover; refrigerate 2 hours or until well chilled.

3. Before serving, remove from pans; arrange tarts on plates. Arrange berries on each tart. Combine spreadable fruit and lemon juice; spoon over tarts. Add a mint sprig, and sift powdered sugar over tops. Makes 4 servings.

----------------------
Misc. ideas:

• Cream Cheese whipped together with just about any kind of Seedless Jelly..Raspberry, Strawberry, Blackberry, Fig... Put in Tart Shell..Melt some Bittersweet Chocolate and pour a thin layer over the filling then top with Toasted Nuts or a Piped Chocolate Decoration.
• Boil unopened cans of sweetened condensed milk for 3 hours - cool then you have the most wonderful rich and thick caramel to put in tart shells. Top with Cream and chopped nuts.
• lemon curd, white chocolate w/ raseberry, chocolate ganache
• gruyere and leeks!

Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Your Favorite Tarts by cjs (Oh my I used to make...)
I have the tart issue (#26) on Pdf and would be happy to send a copy your way. If you need it just pm me. This is not a C@H but it is very good anyway.

EXPORTED FROM LIVING COOKBOOK

ALMOND JOY TARTLETS

Oven Temperature: 375°F

Servings: 6

Preparation Time: 45 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
Inactive Time: 4 hours and 15 minutes
Total Time: 5 hours and 30 minutes

COCONUT CREAM FILLING
8 oz. good-quality white chocolate, coarsely chopped
1 cup heavy cream
2 cups unsweetened shredded coconut (if you’re coconut obsessed, go ahead and use 2 ¼ cups)
1 TBS. light rum
ALMOND TART DOUGH
6 4" Tart Pans
1 large egg
¼ cup whole toasted almonds
¼ cup sugar
1 ¼ cup plus 2 TBS. all-purpose flour
¼ tsp. salt
½ cup (1 stick) cold, unsalted butter, cut into ½-inch cubes
CHOCOLATE GLAZE AND GARNISH
2 oz. good-quality milk chocolate, coarsely chopped
2 oz. good-quality dark chocolate (60 to 70%), coarsely chopped
½ cup heavy cream
6 whole almonds

COCONUT CREAM FILLING

Place the white chocolate in a heatproof bowl. In a small saucepan set over medium heat, heat the cream just to boil. Pour it over the white chocolate and let stand for 30 seconds. Slowly, starting in the center of the bowl, whisk the cream and white chocolate until smooth. Cover and refrigerate this ganache for 4 hours or overnight before proceeding.

ALMOND TART DOUGH

In a small bowl, lightly whisk the egg and set it aside. Put the almonds and sugar in the bowl of a food processor, and pulse until the almonds are finely ground. Add flour and salt and pulse again just until mixed. Add the butter and pulse until sandy (about 6 to 10 quick pulses). Pour in the egg and pulse just until the dough begins to cohere into a ball. Form the dough into a disk, wrap it tightly in plastic wrap, and refrigerate it for at least 1 hour or overnight.

BAKE THE TART

Place the tart pans in the freezer for 30 minutes. Preheat the oven to 375° F. Line the tart crusts with aluminum foil, and fill each one three-quarters full with pie weights or dried beans. Bake them for 15 minutes, then remove the foil and weights and bake for another 10 minutes or until lightly browned.

COCONUT CREAM FILLING

Meanwhile, in the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat the white chocolate ganache at medium speed until soft peaks form. Do not over whip. Gently fold in the coconut and the rum. Divide the filling evenly among the cooled tart shells and place in the refrigerator while you make the chocolate glaze.

CHOCOLATE GLAZE

Place the milk and dark chocolate in a medium heatproof bowl. In a saucepan, heat the heavy cream until it is just about to boil. Pour it over the chocolates and whisk to combine. Let the mixture set for about 10 minutes. Remove tarts from the refrigerator and spoon the glaze evenly over each one. Top tart with one almond and refrigerate again until glaze sets up, about 10 minutes.

The tarts can be stored, tightly covered, in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.

Recipe Type: Baked Explorations, Chocolate, Coconut, Desserts, Tarts, White Chocolate

Author: Matt Lewis and Renato Poliafito
Source: Baked Exporations: Classic American Desserts Reinvented
Web Page: http://the-dogs-breakfast.com/2010/10/31...lorations/
  Re: Re: Your Favorite Tarts by Cubangirl (I have the tart issu...)
Thank you everyone for the ideas! And I like the one Jean posted using a pre-made pie crust. Saves prep time.

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Your Favorite Tarts by BarbaraS (Thank you everyone f...)
Now you have the job of deciding which to make before you all get tired of them!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Your Favorite Tarts by cjs (Now you have the job...)
Those goat cheese ones look WONDERFUL, Jean! You know my weakness for goat cheese! Could either be made as one large tart?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.