A pestle w/o a mortar
  Re: (...)
On my most recent trip to Guatemala, I noticed someone using what I can only describe as a "pestle without a mortar." It was just a simple, wooden tool used to crush seeds on a counter top (or even to mash potatoes in a pot or bowl). Since I love to use a mortar and pestle, but the one I have isn't that big (but weighs a ton, since it's marble), I decided to buy one at the bargain store that was right next to the hotel. For U.S. $0.38, I couldn't go wrong.

Actually, it turns out to work VERY well and I love it, so here it is - just 4 1/2" high and 2 1/2" in diameter:

[Image: piln.jpg]
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: A pestle w/o a mortar by labradors (On my most recent tr...)
Well isn't that the cutest thing! So the seeds don't go flying while trying to crush them?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: A pestle w/o a mortar by Gourmet_Mom (Well isn't that the ...)
So far, no, once you get used to rocking it back and forth a certain way. I'll find out as I try with different seeds. Of course, one could always use a bowl for it to be more like a mortar and pestle. Yesterday, I used it - in a bowl - to crush some mint/chocolate hard candies to add to some yogurt and it worked very well.
  Re: Re: A pestle w/o a mortar by labradors (So far, no, once you...)
Oh Wow, Roy can make these!!!!! Idea is copied!!! thanks Labs.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: A pestle w/o a mortar by cjs (Oh Wow, Roy can make...)
That's what I was thinking, Jean!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: A pestle w/o a mortar by Gourmet_Mom (That's what I was th...)
Is that a chess piece or a cabinet knob?
  Re: Re: A pestle w/o a mortar by Trixxee (Is that a chess piec...)
I thought the same things as both Jean and Trixxee.

BTW, the method of using this is not to pound down with it or to roll it around the bottom of a mortar, but to rock it back and forth.

Also, the wood on the bottom is NOT extremely smooth, but somewhat rough - probably one of the reasons it doesn't shoot the seeds across the room. It's not flat, either, but somewhat rounded.
  Re: Re: A pestle w/o a mortar by labradors (I thought the same t...)
very cool! I have an old wooden one, and a stoneware set that I don't use because it's so heavy-- I'd love to find one of these (and I'd pay more than 38 cents, too!)
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: A pestle w/o a mortar by foodfiend (very cool! I have a...)
Labs can you get a pic of the bottom?

Roy, you might need to make up some order sheets
  Re: Re: A pestle w/o a mortar by DFen911 (Labs can you get a p...)
LOL! Sure. Right now, it's just after midnight, though, and this camera doesn't do any better indoors than my other one (hence why I'll be buying a good one, soon), so it'll have to wait until daylight so I can take the photo outside, as I did the first one.