Noble Pig's Slo-Cooked Pulled Pork - Maryann
  Re: (...)
Maryann, this is the recipe that Trixxee (I think!) likes so much and I finally made it also - what a great flavor and you can do anything with it. As I said, I've used the meat 2 or 3 times, but still haven't made sandwiches as it was intended.

Slow-Cooker Honey-Soy Pulled Pork

1 6-7 lb Pork butt, fat trimmed
1-1/4 cups Clover honey
1/2 cup Soy sauce, reduced sodium
1/4 cup Distilled white vinegar
1/4 cup Brown sugar
4 Tbs Dried basil leaves
3 Tbs Garlic, minced
1/4 cup Cornstarch

1. Trim pork butt of all extra fat and place meat in slow-cooker.

2. In a separate bowl, combine honey, soy sauce, vinegar, brown sugar, basil and garlic. Pour on top of meat.

3. Set slow-cooker on low for 6 hours. When done, remove meat and pour sauce into a large pyrex bowl, preferably with a pour spout. Let sit for about 20 minutes and skim off any visible fat from the top. Pour sauce into sauce pan over medium heat. Mix cornstarch with 1/4 cup water and add slowly to the sauce. Continue to stir, making sure there are no clumps. Sauce will thicken once mixture is hot enough, make sure not to boil over 1 minute as the cornstarch will break down.

4. Shred meat with two forks and pour sauce over the meat. Eat as is or make it into a sandwich.

Source
Author: Recipe from: Noble Pig | Serves: 6-8
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Noble Pig's Slo-Cooked Pulled Pork - Maryann by cjs (Maryann, this is the...)
What do you know - I've been making this wrong the whole time! I had been adding the cornstarch at the beginning with all the other stuff then transferring to a sauce pan to add a slurry. Ding dong!
  Re: Noble Pig's Slo-Cooked Pulled Pork - Maryann by cjs (Maryann, this is the...)
Wow, that sounds good!

I'd try this with buckwheat honey (if I had some). It's got a much stronger flavour than clover honey. Definitely wouldn't use orange-blossom honey or it would get lost.

For those who have never tried buckwheat honey before: since it is so strong and you may not like it, try a small amount before getting a really big bottle of it. I love it!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Noble Pig's Slo-Cooked Pulled Pork - Maryann by labradors (Wow, that sounds goo...)
Hmmmmmm, have never heard of,Labs. Bet we could find it at Central mkt.

That's funny, Trixxee - like me adding granulated sugar instead of b. sugar to Bill's sauce.

Just so I know what I'm talking about - Pioneer Woman and Noble Pig is the same person/blog, right?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Noble Pig's Slo-Cooked Pulled Pork - Maryann by cjs (Hmmmmmm, have never ...)
Jean, these are two separate blogs.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Noble Pig's Slo-Cooked Pulled Pork - Maryann by Gourmet_Mom (Jean, these are two ...)
Hmmmm.... "Noble Woman"? "Pioneer Pig"? LOL!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Noble Pig's Slo-Cooked Pulled Pork - Maryann by cjs (Hmmmmmm, have never ...)
Oh, I don't really know, Jean. That's what threw me. I went looking for Pioneer Woman's website and looked for a recipe there, but she only had one and that was not it. Thanks so much for posting this. It sounds delicious, and your pizza sounded amazing!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Noble Pig's Slo-Cooked Pulled Pork - Maryann by Mare749 (Oh, I don't really k...)
Definitely different. Noble Pig is a winery in Williamette, OR and she also posts a lot of recipes on her blog. They predominantly make Pinot Noir. Pioneer Woman has a show on Food Network.
  Re: Re: Noble Pig's Slo-Cooked Pulled Pork - Maryann by Trixxee (Definitely different...)
FWIW, I made this and was not impressed. Moved it to my worthless recipe file (so I won't forget and do it again.) I cooked it per directions. My notes say that the the pork was not as tender as I would have expected after so many hours in the slow cooker and the sauce was way too sweet for me. I think perhaps in the pressure cooker with some tinkering might be ok, but there are so many good pork shoulder recipes out there (Momofuku's Bo Saam for example) or carnitas or my absolute favorite way to use pork shoulder a Pork Ragout from Dave at the old CI board.Just my 0.02
  Re: Re: Noble Pig's Slo-Cooked Pulled Pork - Maryann by Cubangirl (FWIW, I made this an...)
Thanks for that input! I appreciate that. I need a good pulled pork recipe and will rethink this. Sweet does not sound good. Neither does 'not tender'.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura