Fudgy Brownie Cake
  Re: (...)
I made this last night for dessert and it was a great, simple chocolate fix! It's from one of Martha Stewart's magazines recent issues (my Mom gets it-- through my niece's Girl Scouts magazine subscription drives she gets probably every magazine published-- and passes them on to me). I served it warm with whipped cream. Yum! I added 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon, and I want to try almond extract next time.

FUDGY BROWNIE CAKE

Martha Stewart Living, February 2013

Prep Time 20 minutes
Total Time 55 minutes
Yield Serves 10 to 12

1 stick unsalted butter, cut into large pieces, plus more for pan
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour, plus more for pan
6 ounces bittersweet chocolate (61 to 70 percent cacao), finely chopped
3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
1 large egg yolk plus 3 large egg whites, room temperature, divided
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, plus more for dusting
1/2 teaspoon coarse salt

Directions

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Butter and flour a 9-inch springform pan. Melt butter and chocolate in a bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water, stirring until smooth. Remove from heat, and whisk in 3/4 cup sugar. Whisk in egg yolk, then cocoa powder and salt.

Beat egg whites with a mixer on medium speed until foamy. Raise speed to medium-high, gradually beat in remaining 2 tablespoons sugar, and beat until soft, glossy peaks form, about 4 minutes.

Fold flour into chocolate mixture with a rubber spatula, then fold in egg whites. Pour batter into pan, and bake until set, about 33 minutes. Let cake cool completely in pan on a wire rack. Remove side of pan, and dust top of cake with cocoa powder (I used powdered sugar).

Cook's Note

Cake can be stored in pan at room temperature, wrapped in plastic wrap (do not let plastic touch cake), up to 1 day.
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Fudgy Brownie Cake by foodfiend (I made this last nig...)
Thanks for thr review, Vicci, I've been eyeing that recipe. I ended up making the chocolate peanut butter cheesecake for my Dad, and it too was great!

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Fudgy Brownie Cake by pjcooks (Thanks for thr revie...)
Sounds like a good chocolate fix.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Fudgy Brownie Cake by cjs (Sounds like a good c...)
PJ, DH wants that chocolate pb cheesecake for his birthday. It looks awesome.

I have to add that I used gluten-free flour for the tiny amount of all-purpose that was called for in the recipe and could tell no difference. So that dessert can officially be called "gluten free"!
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: Fudgy Brownie Cake by pjcooks (Thanks for thr revie...)
Quote:

I ended up making the chocolate peanut butter cheesecake for my Dad, and it too was great!

That reminds me: It's been ages since I've made the Peanut Butter Pie with Fudge Topping. May have to do that again, soon.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?