Cajun Catfish Chowder?
  Re: (...)
Did anyone ever get to making this soup? It's in the Soups, Stews & Chilies book. I couldn't find any reviews or mentions about it. The picture looks good. Might have to get this on the menu (though for next week since I'm already making one soup tonight).
  Re: Cajun Catfish Chowder? by Trixxee (Did anyone ever get ...)
Don't know what's in it, but it sounds great, just by the name. Would you please post the recipe? I may try it using basa, as long as it only calls for catfish and not shrimp, clams, etc. or okra.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Cajun Catfish Chowder? by labradors (Don't know what's in...)
Here you go Labs. This is the C@H recipe but I found it on someone else's blog so I didn't have to retype it. You might see a few random comments of hers in there. I would also be subbing tilapia as I always have some in the freezer and I have used it before in a thai curry chowder type of dish and it worked beautifully.

Cajun Catfish Chowder
Ingredients:
4 strips of bacon
2 cups onion, diced
1 cup celery, diced
3 Tb all-purpose flour
1 Tb garlic, minced
1/2 tsp each of cayenne pepper, paprika, dried thyme, oregano, and basil
1/2 cup dry sherry
2 (8oz) bottles of Clam juice
2 cups chicken broth
2 cups red potatoes, diced fairly small
1 Tb Worcestershire sauce
2 tsp Tabasco
4 catfish fillets (1/2 lb each)
2 Tb cajun seasoning
1 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup scallions, sliced
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
lemon juice, optional to sprinkle over when finished

Directions:
-Preheat oven 475 degrees.

- Saute bacon in a Dutch oven or large pot over medium heat until crispy; drain on paper towels and set aside. Pour off all but 2 Tb drippings (or add a little olive oil if you used turkey bacon and don't have enough drippings... which defeats the purpose of using turkey bacon, I guess!)

Saute onions and celery in pan drippings until soft, about 5 minutes. Stir in flour, garlic, and other seasonings (except the cajun seasoning); cook about 1 minute.

-add the sherry, stirring quite often, until the sherry has mostly evaporated. Add clam juice, broth, potatoes, Worcestershire sauce, and Tabasco. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 15 minutes.

-Sprinkle fish with the cajun seasoning and bake on a baking sheet sprayed with Pam cooking spray. Roast about 15 minutes.

-Add heavy cream to soup and stir to warm completely. Combine scallions, parsley, and reserved bacon (crumple)into a small bowl.

Ladle soup into bowls, top with a fish fillet, garnish with bacon mixture.
  Re: Re: Cajun Catfish Chowder? by Trixxee (Here you go Labs. T...)
Well, I know I'm making this! Thanks for posting.

Going thru Meatball as we speak......
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Cajun Catfish Chowder? by cjs (Well, I know I'm mak...)
This sounds really good! Let us know how it turns out!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.