Mexian Chorizo made heart healthy!
  Re: (...)
On our recent trip we found Chorizo de Pavo in the supermarket. Pavo is turkey for those of you who are wondering. We really enjoyed it! Now I've come across the recipe to make my own with ground turkey. I tried this morning and it was spot on so I share with you

Servings: 4
Prep time: 0:05
Total time: 0:05
Calories: 183
Categories: Breakfast, Chicken & Other Poultry, Lunch, Mexican
Source: http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-de...ipe=896741

Ingredients

• 1 lb ground turkey (can substitute pork)
• 1/4 c cider vinegar
• 2 tbl chili powder
• 1 tbl sweet paprika
• 1 tsp ground cumin
• .75 tsp table salt
• 1 tsp garlic pwder
• 1/2 tsp ground coriander
• 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes or cayenne
• 1/8 tsp ground cloves
• 1/8 tsp ground black pepper

Directions

Combine the chili powder, paprika, cumin, salt, garlic powder, coriander, oregano, red pepper, ground clove and pepper in a mixing bowl, and stir until well combined.
Add cider vinegar and stir into a paste.
Add ground meat and kneed until spices are well incorporated.
You can use immediately, but for best flavor, place in an airtight container in the fridge over night.
Form into patties or just fry the loose meat into a scramble in a skillet until done.
Number of Servings: 4
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Mexian Chorizo made heart healthy! by farnfam (On our recent trip w...)
Thank you, thank you, thank you! I've bee trying recipe after recipe and haven't found "mine" yet! Will give it a try..
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Mexian Chorizo made heart healthy! by cjs (Thank you, thank you...)
Be sure to let me know what you think, Jean. And share any tweaks you make.
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Mexian Chorizo made heart healthy! by farnfam (On our recent trip w...)
Thanks, Cis! I've also been looking for a recipe. Copied and printed. Will first try it with pork, though, have to ease into these things with Picky....

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Mexian Chorizo made heart healthy! by pjcooks (Thanks, Cis! I've a...)
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Mexian Chorizo made heart healthy! by farnfam ([img]/ubbthreads/ima...)
Awesome. Thanks so much for posting, Cis. I bought a vegetarian version a couple of months ago and 3/4 of it is still in the freezer. WAY less than impressed. Can't wait to try this one.
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: Mexian Chorizo made heart healthy! by foodfiend (Awesome. Thanks so ...)
Most of the reasons that people have with the taste of vegetarian foods is when people (either non-vegetarians cooking for vegetarians or even vegetarians cooking for themselves) attempt to vegetarianise something that 100% depends upon MEAT. "Vegetarian chorizo" would be a primer example. The reason that chorizo TASTES like chorizo is that it not only has pork (indeed - very often the off cuts) AND plenty of pork FAT that helps the spices that are added to it to blend together the way they do.

Turkey is able to handle some such tasks.

TVP, tofu and seitan are not. (Although I HAVE been impressed at how good seitan can be, especially versus the other two. Of course, some people wouldn't be able to use it because it is, by definition, gluten.)

Now, to be fair (a little bit) to vegetarians (for a change), I will say this: Vegetarian food doesn't HAVE to have terrible flavour - just don't make the switch and then spend all your time trying to make everything taste like meat again.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Mexian Chorizo made heart healthy! by labradors (Most of the reasons ...)
Quote:

just don't make the switch and then spend all your time trying to make everything taste like meat again.

OK Labs, that literally made me laugh. Because it's so true!
  Re: Re: Mexian Chorizo made heart healthy! by Trixxee ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
We were pretty happy with the "chorizo-ness" of this particular type of substitution. I might spice the next batch up a bit more. I'm eager to try it on that appy we like to make with the chorizo and the tortilla triangles. It's good to enjoy something like this all the while knowing it's not going to raise James cholesterol
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Mexian Chorizo made heart healthy! by labradors (Most of the reasons ...)
Quote:

...just don't make the switch and then spend all your time trying to make everything taste like meat again.

That drives me crazy-- vegetarian chicken tenders? WHY????

I tried the veg chorizo because I couldn't find any (commercially) made with turkey. Blech.
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com