What's for Dinner, Thurs., 3/28/13??
  Re: (...)
What's on the menu for everyone today?

I'm joining the ranks of freezer diving - there were a lot of little pkgs. in the trailer freezer, so must use them up.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: What's for Dinner, Thurs., 3/28/13?? by cjs (What's on the menu f...)
I forgot to go freezer diving last night, so it may have to be omelets. Long day for us, Sam's run, meet the produce truck etc, etc.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Thurs., 3/28/13?? by Lorraine (I forgot to go freez...)
Haven't decided for sure, just yet. Thinking about having leftover beef stew, but really have a taste for a baked pasta. More later.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Thurs., 3/28/13?? by Mare749 (Haven't decided for ...)
I'm in the mood for a mushroom swiss burger on the grill with horseradish mustard. Tater tots on the side.
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Thurs., 3/28/13?? by Trixxee (I'm in the mood for ...)
We are foraging tonight too. We have some leftover pizza and some C@H Butternut and Sausage soup.

Trixxee's burger sounds really good. I was craving a burger and tater tots today!
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Thurs., 3/28/13?? by Trixxee (I'm in the mood for ...)
Oh my - my freezer diving really paid off. Chef David Nelson gave us a Wagyu steak while we were visiting them in Mesa, AZ and we had it today with....get this!!

I found a pkg. of Creamy Polenta in the freezer that was dated 3/15/12 - 2012!! Over a year old. So heated it up with a little milk. And, it was great.

But, the star was the Wagyu steak - the first I've tasted and cooked! Thank God I googled "how to cook Wagyu beef," cause you don't cook it like other beef.

"But if you prefer you steak tranditional, thick and medium rare, a pre=heated cast iron skillet is what you'll need. Wagyu doesn't need much in the way of seasonsing - perhaps a small sprinkle of sea salt, ground black pepper and a smattering of olie oil (this is what I normally do with steak). Sear the steak for around one to 2 minutes (depending on thickness) on both sides before placing it in the oven for around 8 minutes."

So, this is the method I used - I seared the steak on one side for 1 minute, turned it over and while it seared on the 2nd side, I inserted a remote temp. probe and quickly put it in a 475° oven. Have no idea how many minutes - I just stood beside the temp probe and pulled it as it hit 117° - removed it from the hot griddle to a cutting board and it still increased in temp to 126°!!! I was sure I wasn't going to be happy with this, but it was just gorgeous!!!

Wow, is Wagyu ever what everyone has been talking about for years. I'm so anxious to get some more from Chef Dave.
[Image: Mar29WagyuSteakandCreamyPolenta2_zps33dcbd68.jpg]

And, to top it off, we had a bottle of Tobin James Dusi Vineyard 2010 Zin. As Lorraine used to say, "WOWZA!!"
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Thurs., 3/28/13?? by luvnit (We are foraging toni...)
Tonight we're having grilled Cubano chicken with mustard sauce and some 'sparagus.
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Thurs., 3/28/13?? by cjs (Oh my - my freezer d...)
Wow, that steak looks like it would just melt in your mouth! Must try that one day.

I went out shopping and goofing off all afternoon, so we will have the leftover stew and some toasted homemade bread. I have a new bread recipe that is delish, and I'll post it later.

BTW, I forgot to say, WELCOME HOME, WANDERERS!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Thurs., 3/28/13?? by Mare749 (Wow, that steak look...)
Thank you - it's so funny, we've been gone so long we can't remember where anything is in the darn house. We wander around looking for things that we used to just grab. Neither of us could figure out the coffee pot this morning.

Maryann, I really thought all this broo-ha-ha about Wagyu beef was just that. But, it really is a wonderful product!!
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Thurs., 3/28/13?? by cjs (Thank you - it's so ...)
That is a beautiful steak! Nice.

So wait... You are back home?
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura