MasterChef UK - Palate Test
  Re: (...)
I've seen a few different tasting tests among the various versions of MasterChef, but I really like the latest one they're using on the U.K. version.

The contestants must go beyond simply listing out ingredients they think are in something they've tasted. They must continue by cooking the dish without a recipe AND, once they uncover the cloths on their benches, they find ingredients that include a number of things that are NOT in the dish. For example, for a dish that contains beef-and-pork meatballs, ground chicken and ground lamb may also be under the cloth.

Very interesting.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: MasterChef UK - Palate Test by labradors (I've seen a few diff...)
I like Hell's Kitchen version of this. They taste a dish which is usually a protein with something else (e.g. a veggies, a puree, a starch, etc.) and then they have to recreate it. There are no clues whatsoever as to what is in it. It is funny when folks really miss the main protein, e.g. veal and they think chicken or fish. They must get it down to the kind of oil used, herbs, pancetta instead of bacon, etc. I think that is really hard to do without any parameters.

I once served guests veal parmigiana which used to be my go to company dish. I made a double batch, one using real veal, the other using turkey breast cut very thinly. Not one of the 7 other diners could tell which was which. I served them each of portion of each, and told them after the first couple of bites. After that I figured since no one could taste the difference, I'd make it with turkey and save a bit of money.

I just made Chocolate Short Ribs for our anniversary tomorrow. No one picks up the chocolate, though I get raves about the sauce.

I would love to participate in that kind of test, but I don't think I'd do all that well except for cilantro which I can identify even in minimal quantities.
  Re: Re: MasterChef UK - Palate Test by Cubangirl (I like Hell's Kitche...)
Yeah, the Hell's Kitchen version is good, too.

Not sure for whom I'm rooting, this season: none of them have been real stand-outs.

I've used chicken, in place of veal, for ages. In Parmigiana, I probably couldn't tell the difference, but in Piccata or Scaloppine alla Marsala I already know, from experience, that I can.

That kind of palate test is something in which I'd love to participate, too, since I usually do very well with flavours and aromas. When I was a kid, my mom was always amazed when I would get home from school, walk in the door, smell what was cooking and tell her what she was making for dinner, including many of the individual ingredients - and that was without tasting - just the aromas.
  Re: Re: MasterChef UK - Palate Test by labradors (Yeah, the [i]Hell's ...)
I agree that chicken does not work. Have you tried turkey? It can replace veal much better than chicken.
  Re: Re: MasterChef UK - Palate Test by Cubangirl (I agree that chicken...)
Alina, I've always been of the thought that if you can taste an ingredient in a dish/sauce, there is too much.

I love it when someone will say, "there's something in here that I can't tell what it is, but it is good." That's a winner.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: MasterChef UK - Palate Test by Cubangirl (I agree that chicken...)
Quote:

I agree that chicken does not work. Have you tried turkey? It can replace veal much better than chicken.

To my palate, turkey is much more distinct than chicken. It IS good in such things, but even less like the veal.