Crème Fraîche
  Re: (...)
I made 24 oz. of crème fraîche a couple of weeks back. This time I put it really visible in the kitchen fridge. DH has been adding it to all sorts of leftover dishes. Yesterday, I found I still had a small piece of C@H's whiskey glazed corned beef hidden in the bottom shelf. It was still good, but there was not very much glaze. I cut it into small pieces and microwaved it and then added about a TBS. and a half of the crème fraîche and stirred. It was so tasty. It combined with the little bit of the whiskey glaze and gave me an impromptu sauce.

I thought I'd share in case some of you have not made this yourselves. It is such an easy way to change up a dish or add something extra to strawberries or blueberries.
  Re: Crème Fraîche by Cubangirl (I made 24 oz. of crè...)
Where was this recipe?
  Re: Re: Crème Fraîche by DFen911 (Where was this recip...)
Do you mean the corned beef one? It is from #62, April 2007.

If you mean the Crème Fraîche, I originally got it from Dave at the old CI bb, but ATK tv has it as well.

Here's what I use: 14.25 oz. heavy cream and 3.5 TBS. buttermilk and place in a screw top jar. Stir and leave on counter for a minimum of 12 up to 24 hours. Stir and refrigerate. It will thicken more in the fridge. It keeps for about 3 weeks to a month if it lasts that long. Save 2 TBS. of the old and use for the next batch instead of buttermilk.
  Re: Re: Crème Fraîche by Cubangirl (Do you mean the corn...)
And, here is my method - I'm will Alina, it is so easy and so nice to have on hand. I'm including my notes also.

* Exported from MasterCook *

CREME FRAICHE - HOW TO MAKE
June Jacobs, ~2004

2 cups whipping (heavy) cream preferably NOT ultra-pasteurized
1/4 cup buttermilk -- room temperature

1. Warm cream in heavy small saucepan to lukewarm (85 degrees F). Remove from heat and mix in buttermilk. Put the mixture into a clean glass jar (that has a tight-fitting lid), Leave the jar open and cover with a piece of waxed paper fastened with a rubber band. Let it stand in a warm draft-free area until slightly thickened, 24 to 48 hours, depending on temperature of room.

2. When the cream has "clotted," remove the paper and replace it with the lid. Refrigerate until ready to use.

Teacher's Tip Stored in this manner, the Crème Fraîche should keep until you've used it up (and made more!) Like fine cheese, it may develop a "skin", but you can remove it and use what's underneath.
---------------------
Jean's notes:
Well, murphy's law - my heavy cream WAS ultra-pastuerized and the only buttermilk on the shelves around here was/is reduced fat/1 1/2% milkfat/50%less fat than whole milk!!!

Decided to go with it and see what would result - oh my, it is delicious, creamy, beautiful creme fraiche. I left it 30 hours.

The Creme Fraiche will also whip up fluffly for topping strawberries or other fruits.

As well, it doesn't break if it gets boiled the way sour ceram does, so it's great for finishing sauces.

In Washington, look for the brand of heavy cream 'Wilcox'

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Crème Fraîche by cjs (And, here is my meth...)
Thank you, now can you use homemade buttermilk I wonder? I never buy it because I never use much so just whip up some when I need it.
  Re: Re: Crème Fraîche by DFen911 (Thank you, now can y...)
And the recipe for Homemade Buttermilk is....?

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Crème Fraîche by BarbaraS (And the recipe for H...)
If it's the dry buttermilk mix, I wouldn't try it, Denise.

Splurge and buy some buttermilk and use the extra for Uncle Wallace's Pancakes!!! You won't be sorry.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Crème Fraîche by cjs (If it's the dry butt...)
You need the live culture to ferment the heavy cream. I too always have the dried on hand but get fresh for this.

TJ's has regular pasteurized heavy cream which works better than the ultra pasteurized. They also have buttermilk. It is low fat but it works really well. I never have used full fat buttermilk for anything. You can use the leftovers for Keller's fried chicken, lemon bundt cake, chocolate cake or just freeze it to use later.