Mixing countertop materials in the kitchen...
  Re: (...)
In one of the houses that the builder of our new house has already completed, there was a gorgeous granite (called Brazilian creama bordeaux) on the island and all of the countertops in the kitchen. My kitchen will have an island measuring around 4-1/2' x 12' and I want that same granite.

I'm thinking that I might want another material (or maybe granite color) on the rest of the countertops above the base cabinets. Or not. Ideas? Thoughts? Too many decisions to make, and this is such a huge one that I am stumped!
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Mixing countertop materials in the kitchen... by foodfiend (In one of the houses...)
First we need to see this beautiful granite, so I looked it up. It is gorgeous!

[Image: container.brazil.crema+bordeau.final.jpg]

Stainless counters may be too sterile, but I have always liked those. I will definitely keep it in mind for a future kitchen.
[Image: ince_kitchenview1_lead.jpg]

Jean has a butcher block island. I really like that idea. It's a nice, clean surface. My neighbor did it on one of his counter surfaces and really likes it. But I would prefer it for an island rather than entire counter surface.

[Image: home-design.jpg]

And I have always thought that concrete counters were really cool!

[Image: countertop1.png]
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Mixing countertop materials in the kitchen... by luvnit (First we need to see...)
No, I have a butcher top on the island and butcher on either side of the stove, but I have SST on the rest of the counters. Love SST!!!! and love the combination.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Mixing countertop materials in the kitchen... by cjs (No, I have a butcher...)
I think a combo would look very nice. Jean, is the SST hard to keep shiny?
  Re: Re: Mixing countertop materials in the kitchen... by cjs (No, I have a butcher...)
The granite is gorgeous! We are very happy with our Zodiaq tho, and recently added an island and topped with same. It's black and sparkly
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Mixing countertop materials in the kitchen... by farnfam (The granite is gorge...)
I have no idea what you should do, Vicci, but your granite is beautiful.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Mixing countertop materials in the kitchen... by Mare749 (I have no idea what ...)
Oops, that's what I meant to say Jean. I love it, and it is soooo functional too.

Sorry, I was adding pictures and trying to edit. My bad.
Laura
  Re: Re: Mixing countertop materials in the kitchen... by luvnit (Oops, that's what I ...)
Thanks for adding the granite photo, Laura. I wanted to but my dialup plus an 8yo computer is horribly s-l-o-w. Also thanks for the other photos!

I should add that the cabinets will be off-white with a rope-style door detail and a cocoa glaze (I'd post but my connection keeps "timing out"). And a dark stained wood floor. I've spent so many years, in our 148yo house, with dark green and burgundy that I'm getting crazy and the wall color will be some sort of mango shade.

I like that particular granite because it has so many colors in it (cream, brown, black, pink, red) so I can pick up certain colors in accessories.

Concrete... that seems like it would work since I could pick up one of the granite shades and have the concrete tinted... Stainless would coordinate with the appliances... butcher block would "warm up" the area...

And now I had another thought-- black or brown granite counters would look good with a crema bordeaux granite island, too.

On and on and on...
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: Mixing countertop materials in the kitchen... by foodfiend (Thanks for adding th...)
I can't remember how granite reacts to heat, but my one suggestion is that whatever you put near the oven can take a hot pot. I normally sit the stuff out of the oven on my stove, but not practical if the front burners are being used. My other requirement was that the sink tolerate a hot pressure cooker so I can bring the temp down fast if needed.

Your granite is gorgeous. I am sure anything you put with it will be beautiful. I love the mango walls.
  Re: Re: Mixing countertop materials in the kitchen... by foodfiend (Thanks for adding th...)
Cabinet example?

[Image: 86b26ed68af7eff127e076dec33214fb.jpg]

I LOVE this trap door over the fridge for baking sheets, platters, etc...

[Image: 13bab578f8e623317650f46f8fd15947.jpg]
Laura