I need a huge favor
  Re: (...)
Easter 2005 I made Smoked Salmon & Black Bean Tostadas from Rick Bayless' "Mexico One Plate at a Time". I found the photo of them today, I have smoked salmon and the craving arose . . . But I don't have the cookbook with me and I couldn't find in on here.

Does anyone happen to have the cookbook - I just need the smoked salmon "stuff" part? I know my hero is here somewhere!
  Re: I need a huge favor by Harborwitch (Easter 2005 I made S...)
Got this at the Rick Bayless website

Salmon and black Bean Tostada - Rick Bayless

Makes about 24 tostaditas, serving 8 as an appetizer

5 ounces smoked salmon, cut into ¼ inch cubes
½ cup Frontera Habanero Salsa
1 cup canned, diced tomatoes, drained
1 bag (9 ounces) Frontera Thick Tortilla Chips
½ cup Salpica Black Bean Dip (or refried black beans)
¼ cup sour cream thinned with a little milk
¼ chopped cilantro for garnish

1.Combine the cubed salmon, Habanero salsa and diced tomatoes.
2.To assemble the tostaditas, spread about ½ teaspoon black bean dip or refried black beans onto 24 Tortilla Chips. Top the beans with about 1 teaspoon salmon mixture.
3.Drizzle a little sour cream over the tops of the tostaditas and sprinkle with cilantro. Serve immediately.

Is that right?????
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: I need a huge favor by luvnit (Got this at the Rick...)
Thank you Laura - I found that one, but it's not the same one. The one in his cookbook didn't use any pre-done salsa or anything. tostadas
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: I need a huge favor by Harborwitch (Thank you Laura - I ...)
Is this it?

Smoked Salmon and Black Bean Tostadas

flour or corn tortillas, toasted
2 tablespoons of olive oil
1/2 small white onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
1 can cooked black beans, liquid drained and reserved
salt
5 ounces smoked salmon, cut into 1/4 inch cubes
1/3 cup finely chopped tomato
2 tablespoons thinly sliced green onions
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
1 serrano or 1/2 jalapeno, seeded and chopped
black pepper
1/2 cup cream, or c rème fraîche or sour cream thinned with a little milk

Set a medium skillet over medium heat and add 2 tablespoons of olive oil. When hot, add the onion and cook, stirring, until golden, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, stir for about a minute, and then scrape into food processor. Process until smooth. Return to skillet and stir in some bean liquid (water) to achieve a soft consistency. Season with salt. Cover and set aside.

In a small bowl, stir together the smoked salmon, tomato, green onions, chopped cilantro, chile and black pepper. Taste and season with salt if necessary. Refrigerate covered for about 30 minutes.

Toast tortillas in a skillet; cut into triangles; layer beans, salmon mixture, and sour cream on top of tortillas.

Got it here .
  Re: Re: I need a huge favor by Cubangirl (Is this it? [br][br]...)
Here it is, from the book.

Smoked Salmon - Black Bean Tostaditas
Makes 24 tostaditas, serving 10 or more as a substantial nibble

Mexico One Plate at a Time (pp 66 - 67) -- Rick Bayless

Ingredients:
  • 8 thin corn tortillas, preferably store-bought ones made of coarse-ground masa
  • Vegetable oil to a depth of 1/2 inch for frying, plus 2 tablespoons for the beans
  • 1/2 small white onion, chopped
  • 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
  • 1 avocado leaf, crumbled (optional)
  • 1 1/2 cups cooked black beans, liquid drained and reserved
  • Salt
  • 5 ounces smoked salmon (a less-expensive end piece or trimmings are fine here). cut into 1/4-inch cubes (you'll have 1 cup)
  • 1/4 cup finely chopped ripe tomato
  • 2 to 3 tablespoons thinly sliced green onions or garlic chives
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro, plus 24 leaves for garnish
  • Fresh hot green chile to taste (roughly 1 serrano or 1/2 jalapeño), stemmed, seeded and finely chopped
  • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, preferably freshly ground
  • 1/4 cup homemade crema (page 133). Créme fraîche or sour cream thinned with a little milk
  • Frisée lettuce or sliced romaine for lining the serving platter (optional)
Instructions:
  1. THE TOSTADITAS. If the tortillas are moist, lay them out in a single layer for a few minutes to dry to a leathery feel. Cut the tortillas into long triangles as illustrated on page 137; rewrap them until you're ready to fry.
    In a medium skillet, heat the 1/2 inch oil over medium to medium-high. When the oil is hot enough to make the edge of a tortilla triangle sizz1e energetically, fry them 3 at a time: Lay the tortilla triangles in the oil and after about 15 seconds, use tongs to flip them over. Continue to fry, pushing them down into the oil every few seconds. When the bubbling begins to subside and the triangles have darkened just a bit (usually less than a minute total frying time), remove from the oil and drain on paper towels.
  2. THE BEANS. Set a medium skillet (preferably nonstick) over medium heat and add the remaining 2 tablespoons oil. When hot, add the onion and cook, stirring, until golden, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, stir for a minute or so, and then scrape into a food processor; add the optional avocado leaf and the beans. Process until smooth. Return to the skillet and stir in enough of the bean liquid (or water if you are using canned beans) to achieve a soft consistency - one that barely holds its shape in a spoon. Taste and season with salt, usually about 1/4 teaspoon if using already seasoned beans. Cover and set aside.
  3. THE SALMON MIXTURE. In a small bowl, stir together the smoked salmon. tomato, green onions or chives, chopped cilantro, chile and black pepper. Taste and season with salt, usually about 1/4 teaspoon. Refrigerate covered for about 30 minutes.
  4. ASSEMBLING AND SERVING THE TOSTADITAS. When you’re ready to serve. Warm the beans over medium-low heat; if they've thickened noticeably, stir in a little water or bean broth. Assemble the tostaditas: Spread the wide end of a tostadita with about a teaspoon of warm beans (you'll have some leftover beans for another use), then spoon on a generous teaspoon of the salmon mixture. Top with a little dollop of crema or sour cream and garnish with a leaf of cilantro.
    Scatter frisée or sliced romaine (if using) over a platter. Arrange the tostaditas on it, and you’re ready to pass your creations around.
WORKING AHEAD: The tortilla triangles taste freshest when fried no more than a couple of hours before serving; don't refrigerate them, or they'll get soggy. The beans can be made several days ahead (store them in the refrigerator, well coveredl and rewarmed when you’re ready to serve. Assemble the tostaditas just when you’re ready for them, to avoid soft - rather than crisp - tostaditas.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: I need a huge favor by labradors (Here it is, from the...)
I knew you'd come through! Thank you so much. I want to make these again so much. Copied and saved.

Bob says "thank you" too, now he doesn't have to go down to the storage trailer tomorrow and go through boxes and boxes and boxes to see if maybe the book is there.
  Re: Re: I need a huge favor by Cubangirl (Is this it? [br][br]...)
Thank you too! I miss all my cookbooks being right handy. This is so good, I think it will be on the menu this weekend.
  Re: Re: I need a huge favor by Harborwitch (Thank you too! I mi...)
I did a search for these in my M.C. yesterday - I could have sworn I had the recipe saved. I still haven't done these, but have wanted to for a long time.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: I need a huge favor by cjs (I did a search for t...)
We just smoked some salmon so I'm looking forward to these for Sunday - I hope the weather is wonderful, I've got Sunday off, and it will be nice to sit outside and enjoy.
  Re: Re: I need a huge favor by Harborwitch (We just smoked some ...)
Super Group powers activated!