Gardening Questions
  Re: (...)
William had taken the parsley and sage to the farm last year. He didn't use it, so when it came back this year, he decided to plant me a salad and herb container garden on the deck this year. It's all in except for two things. First, the sage and parsley had already started and is already trying to bolt. I pinched the flower buds on both. There is new growth coming up at the base of the sage, but I don't know what to do about the parsley. Do I sacrifice some and cut it back? Second, I have had trouble with tomatoes bearing fruit here and at the farm, so I am looking at causes. Do you succor tomato plants? Is that the right term...pinching off the little leaves at the bottom. That's what we call it with tobacco.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Gardening Questions by Gourmet_Mom (William had taken th...)
Far from being a tomato expert, so I did some looking around. Expecting to find that they needed more-acidic soil, I was surprised to find that:[quote[they're not overly fussy, preferring a standard well-drained, moderately fertile loam and a middle-of-the-road pH of between 5.8 and 7.0. Unless you're near lots of limestone, which will drive the pH up, or pines, which will drive it down, pH is not generally something you need to worry too much about.

[/blockquote](Source: tomatogardeningguru.com)

Something else interesting was that, when it comes to fertiliser, you should "Be careful not to overdo it on nitrogen; the result will be huge, lush plants with few tomato fruit." (Source: University of California Cooperative Extension - PDF file).

Don't know how much that helps, but perhaps it's a place to start.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Gardening Questions by labradors (Far from being a tom...)
Well, we went with Miracle Grow Garden Soil instead of the potting mix this time. They are in pots, so the pines dominating my lawn should not be an issue. I have some ph strips at school, so I will check the soil. I'm thinking the cheaper soil may be a happy accident. I had tried the mix before. That would explain the failures in the past....healthy plants but little fruit.

I think I found my answer about the herbs, also. I knew to dead head the plants, but I wasn't sure if I needed to severely cut them back as well. From what I've found, dead heading should be enough. But I think I may still harvest it heavily and keep it in the fridge in a damp paper towel in a zip lock and use it generously for a week or so, just in case. I don't think it will hurt.
Daphne
  Re: Re: Gardening Questions by Gourmet_Mom (Well, we went with M...)
Quote:

From what I've found, dead heading should be enough.

"Touch of Grey"?

"Sugar Magnolia"?

"Truckin'"?

"Casey Jones"?
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Gardening Questions by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
When I tried Miracle Grow soil I did not get good results with my tomatoes. From that point on I put them in the ground with a good amount of completed compost. You don't want to fertilize your tomatoes or herbs when you put them in your pots for at least 2 weeks.

Most herbs will go into shock when transplanted and having a lot of fertilizer added or already in the soil as with mixes can push them over the edge.

Drainage is also a big factor, especially with tomatoes and herbs like sage and basil.

Succoring is pinching off the leaves that start to sprout between two stems. Some tomatoes this is a good and others not needed. The main thing is to keep enough nutrients to the main stem. This is mainly needed on Indeterminate plants vs determinate. And indeterminate bears fruit all season and the plants will get pretty big so pruning is ok and often time recommended. Pruning everything below the first cluster ensures a good strong stem. I pinch every other one. Determinate plants are more stocky in shape. Meaning they don't get real tall and fall over. So they don't really need to be pruned.

I hope this helps
  Re: Re: Gardening Questions by DFen911 (When I tried Miracle...)
wow, I'm really in disagreement with some of the suggestions you are getting. BUT,I'm drinking Tobin James,so will wait until tomorrow to respond.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Gardening Questions by cjs (wow, I'm really in d...)
Okay, we did good with the garden soil without the nutrients, I guess. Unfortunately, William watered them with a little miracle grow today after planting yesterday. We'll see.
Daphne
  Re: Re: Gardening Questions by Gourmet_Mom (Okay, we did good wi...)
Use the tomato miracle grow fertilizer. If it seems like the fruit isn't setting you might try tomato bloom set or blossom set spray. Our weird summers we don't always get a good set of fruit.

I never pinch leaves, and we don't need to worry about insects or worms here.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Gardening Questions by Gourmet_Mom (Okay, we did good wi...)
Labs, I prefer "Sugar Magnolia"...

Daphne, I think that the correct spelling is "suckering". Those little offshoots that appear at the junction of the leaves on indeterminate plants are called "suckers" for a good reason- they take the energy from the main plant (and also cause them to become gangly).

I'd cut back the parsley. I find that this makes the plants more flavorful in the second year they are planted. Heck,they grow so fast you'll have plenty in a few weeks in your climate!

I cut off then old branches of my sage last week, and are letting the new shoots grow into a new plant. I've read that you should dig up then replant sage every couple of years,but mine has been in for at least 4 and is doing well (how much sage can anyone use, so who needs a huge bush anyway???).

Hey Jean, let's hear your response NOW!!! I'm sure it'd be more interesting than what you may compose tomorrow morning. Heehee.
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: Gardening Questions by foodfiend (Labs, I prefer "Suga...)
[Image: SageRosemaryThymeMintLemonThyme4-14-2013...7db182.jpg]
This is my replanted Rosemary, Sage and Thyme plant which was originally in a small pot from Trader Joes. It lived in my kitchen window for a long time before I replanted it about 3 years ago. It also had oregano which I chose not to plant. It was usable all through the winter, though it is happier now that is back in full sunlight. We had moved it against the house so it would be more protected from frost. Steve has been working on the sprinklers so they missed some water in the last week, just as it got hotter. Still nothing kills the sage and rosemary. When I repotted, I left some discarded dirt in an empty pot. I also put some from a transplanted mint plant. I left them on the lawn and Someone put it against the house to get it out of the way. Both the sage and the mint are thriving in the discarded pot. I occasionally cut some mint from it, since it comes back before the other pot, but don't touch the sage. Since the big pot is closer to the kitchen.

[Image: Parsleyandlimetree4-14-2013_zps85491f78.jpg] is a picture of my poor parsley which just does not want to grow here in this album . As soon as the sprinklers come back online, I am going to repot with completely fresh soil, and cut it back and add a fresh plant. We are going to get plants tomorrow veggies and more herbs since neither Italian nor Thai Basil make it through the winter. Sorry about the picture size, I resized them but I guess not enough.