Review: S.E. Asian Pork Loin w Pad Thai Salad
  Re: (...)
I did a search to see if any of us had made this older recipe from the Grilling book with the 5-Spice Chicken on the cover and except for a mention by Jeannette (HomeCulinarian) liking it, that was it.

Made this yesterday and for the first time in a long, long time I'd give a dish a 9+!! It is so flavorful and a very light dinner. I can't say too much about the salad, because I didn't have all the ingredients called for and subbed a couple/four items but we just loved it.

And, it was served on a bed of our very first arugula and lettce leaves of the season!!!

[Image: Apr14SEAsianPorkwPadThaiSalad_zpsd07067ba.jpg]
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Review: S.E. Asian Pork Loin w Pad Thai Salad by cjs (I did a search to se...)
Oh boy, that does look pretty!!!!!!

Nice job!
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Review: S.E. Asian Pork Loin w Pad Thai Salad by luvnit (Oh boy, that does lo...)
Looks fantastic!
  Re: Review: S.E. Asian Pork Loin w Pad Thai Salad by cjs (I did a search to se...)
That looks good Jean. That book is just full of gems! We just ordered the new one - I can't wait!

You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Review: S.E. Asian Pork Loin w Pad Thai Salad by Harborwitch (That looks good Jean...)
That looks great Jean. Thanks for the review, I've had my eye on that recipe for a while.
  Re: Re: Review: S.E. Asian Pork Loin w Pad Thai Salad by losblanos1 (That looks great Jea...)
I'll have to check that one out too. You may just fill up next week's menu with all these reviews, Jean. I've needed a little push to try some new things. This may just get the old feeling back! Thanks!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Review: S.E. Asian Pork Loin w Pad Thai Salad by Gourmet_Mom (I'll have to check t...)
Well, Jean, either I never had that particular Grilling Book, or I cannot find it. I am so tired of the chaos that is my life lately. No hurry as the grill just came out of hiding today, but if you have time, please post the recipe? Your photo made me drool :-)
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Review: S.E. Asian Pork Loin w Pad Thai Salad by chef_Tab (Well, Jean, either I...)
I sure will in the a.m., Theresa!

-----------
Here you go, Theresa! Hope you like it as much as we did.

Southeast Asian Pork Loin

1/3 cup rice vinegar
1/4 cup ketchup
2 tablespoons each: vegetable oil, lime juice, brown sugar and fish sauce
1 tablespoon each: soy sauce, chili garlic sauce and minced fresh gingerroot
1 1/2 lbs. boneless pork loin roast, trimmed, if needed

Preheat grill to medium-high heat.

Whisk together vinegar, ketchup, oil, lime juice, brown sugar, fish sauce, soy sauce, chili garlic sauce and gingerroot in a medium bowl.

Place pork loin in a separate medium bowl; add half the marinade to the bowl, reserving the other half for dressing the Pork Pad Thai Salad. Refrigerate dressing while grill heats.

Grill pork, covered, over direct heat, for 20 minutes, rotating every 5 minutes. Before rotating, dip pork back into marinade in bowl, discard any remaining marinade after grilling. Continue grilling pork until internal temp reaches 150° (I pull it at 145°). Remove pork from grill, tent with foil, and let pork rest at least 5 minutes before serving. Makes 6 servings
------------------------------
I grilled over direct heat just to brown the pork nicely, then finished off with indirect heat. I only used about 1/3 of the marinade with the pork and I brushed it on instead of dipping (?) it every 5 minutes – made more sense to me.

Pork Pad Thai Salad
----------
1 cup sugar snap peas (4 oz.) – I only had frozen peas
8 oz dry rice vermicelli
2 cups each: shredded napa cabbage, diced tomatoes and mung bean sprouts (didn’t have sprouts)
1 cup each: grated carrot, sliced yellow bell pepper (didn’t have), seeded and sliced cucumber
1/4 cup sliced scallions
1 cup each: fresh basil leaves, cilantro leaves and mint leaves
Southeast Asian Pork with reserved dressing
1/2 cup chopped dry-roasted peanuts (I had cashews)

1. Bring a pot of water to boil. Blanch peas in boiling water 2-3 minutes. Remove peas with a slotted spoon; plunge peas into an ice bath to stop cooking. Add vermicelli to boiling water and cook according to pkg. directions. Drain and rinse vermicelli.

2. Combine peas, vermicelli, cabbage, tomatoes, bean sprouts, carrot, bell pepper, cucumber, scallions, basil, cilantro, and mint in a large bowl, chill in refrigerator.

3. To serve, toss grilled, sliced Southeast Asian Pork Loin with salad. Divide salad among the plates; garnish with peanuts. Drizzle with reserved dressing from pork recipe. Makes 6 servings.

4. -----------

5. Note: I didn’t have all the ingredients so omitted and/or subbed, so I hesitate to say how good this dish was.

6. Also, with just the 2 of us I just gauged how much of the veggies to use – a total of 9 cups of veggies seemed a bit too much. Same with the herbs – even tho I love the combination of the 3.

Source
Source: C@H – Cuisine Tonight/Grilling (5-spice chicken on cover)

Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Review: S.E. Asian Pork Loin w Pad Thai Salad by cjs (I sure will in the a...)
thanks Jean! can't wait to try this. Hubby just brought out the grill tonite, so maybe this weekend!
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!