Smoking Vegetables and Pizza
  Re: (...)
I've just found my new favorite ingredient. Smoked veggies. The flavor is sucha subtle smoky/earthy sensation and we just love them. And so easy -

I just oiled them, peppers and onion cut in hales, laid on rack and smoke them on the farthest rack from smoke and heat. I guess I left them about 1 1/2 - to 2 hours. Apple wood was used for smoking.
Ready to smoke the veggies

[Image: Apr22veggiesreadytosmoke_zps662f9e6c.jpg]

The veggies smoked
[Image: Apr22smkdveggiesforsalmonpizza_zps715bb299.jpg]

And used with the smoked salmon in the pizza - outstanding!! Any recipes wanted just let me know, I'm not going to print everything out.

Desired holes in pizza crust - Alina, I think you ought to try this dough, it's very nice to work with and even I liked it and I'm more of a medium crust person.
[Image: Apr22desiredholesincrust_zpsd676d5df.jpg]

Slice pizza Smoked Salmon and veggies - the crust looks thick on the edges, but they aren't that's the nice 'bubbly' effect.
[Image: Apr22Jamisonwhitepizzaslice_zps0615ab9f.jpg]

Both smoked pizza with sourdough crust and Jamison’s cracker crust - I made both pizzas exactly the same just different crust dough.
[Image: Apr22JamisonWhitepizzaw2crusts_zps98d36aa3.jpg]

What fun, but after we were so full we couldn't move, realized I had omitted 3 indgredients from Jamison's list for the pizza toppings! maybe I'm getting too old to do this....will make again the right way since I still half of his dough left. geez.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Smoking Vegetables and Pizza by cjs (I've just found my n...)
Yes, I need that dough recipe! Is that on another thread and I just need to poke around for it?

Everything looks so beautiful Jean! Man that pizza looks like a keeper!
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Smoking Vegetables and Pizza by luvnit (Yes, I need that dou...)
No, I'll post it in the morning, Laura. You're going to love it and you can have Almond Joy candy for dessert!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Smoking Vegetables and Pizza by cjs (No, I'll post it in ...)
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Smoking Vegetables and Pizza by luvnit ([img]/ubbthreads/ima...)
Fantastic as always! Great pics.
  Re: Re: Smoking Vegetables and Pizza by cjs (No, I'll post it in ...)
Jean, one of the most famous smoked dishes is Paellia. Smoked very nicely. Let's creat a Paellia pizza- no rice. Think, peppers, shrimp, mussels, clams , bonito tuna, Serrano ham, Crumbled chorizo, Manchego cheese---what soft cheese? Can we work in saffron, or turmeric?
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Smoking Vegetables and Pizza by Old Bay (Jean, one of the mos...)
Jean I would love the pizza dough recipe. TIA

BTW, one of my favorite things to do is to sprinkle Spanish Paprika (smoked) on cheese, looks pretty and tastes great (I also always put it on scrambled eggs.)

If you want another cheese for the paella, how about smoked Gouda. I don't know about turmeric in paella, but you could add the saffron to the tomato sauce.

For the shrimp in my paella, I always do this, I think it would work really well for a pizza.

EXPORTED FROM LIVING COOKBOOK

MARINATING SHRIMP FOR USE IN RECIPES*****

Yield: 1 LB

Prep. Time: 15 minutes Inactive Time: 3 hours Total Time: 3 hours and 15 minutes

1 lb. Frozen 31/35 raw shrimp (defrosted)
1 tsp. kosher salt
¼ tsp. ground black pepper
1 TBS. Olive Oil
3 Garlic Cloves minced

In a medium bowl combine ¼ tsp ground black pepper, ¼ tsp salt, 1 clove minced garlic and 1 TBS. olive oil.

Clean and devein shrimp reserving shells for shrimp stock. Put shrimp in bowl and toss to combine. Cover and refrigerate for at least ½ hour (3 is better.)

Recipe Type: Adapted, Cooks Illustrated, Seafood, Shrimp

Source: COOK'S ILLUSTRATED's Paella recipe 5/2005
Web Page: http://www.cooksillustrated.com/recipes/...docid=6604
  Re: Re: Smoking Vegetables and Pizza by Cubangirl (Jean I would love th...)
Hmmmmm, interesting ideas for a Paella pizza!!

Your method with the shrimp is almost identical to my method of oven-roasting shrimp. Great flavors.

Alina, since the pizza recipe is from one of my favorite books, I'll p.m. it to you rather than post in front of God and everyone.... (and, anyone else who would like it.)

Yes, I'm going to work on the Paella pizza.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Smoking Vegetables and Pizza by Old Bay (Jean, one of the mos...)
Quote:

Let's creat a Paellia pizza- no rice.

Actually, why NOT rice? In many cultures, the crispy rice at the bottom of the pan is more highly prized than the fluffy stuff in the middle of the pan. How about using some cooked rice to make a nice, crispy crust for the "paella pizza"?

It may take some experimentation (and would probably work better with a good pizza stone), but it could be an interesting idea for other pizzas, as well.

Jambalaya would be another candidate and I could also imagine a Persian take on it by making the crust in the form of a rice-and-potato tahdig topped with abghoosht (without the liquid part, of course) and sprinkled with panir or feta.

Looks like I may have to start tinkering...
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Smoking Vegetables and Pizza by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
The rice bottom does sound interesting!!!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".