Cheesemonger: Using cheese rinds in soup?
  Re: (...)
Allison, I'm glad you're back on the forum more regularly, again, since I have a question.

Many recipes, cooking shows and lists of cooking tips say to save the rinds of Parmigiano-Reggiano to toss into a pot of simmering soup. They sometimes go on to suggest using the same idea for other types of cheese, but they never say WHICH other cheeses.

Of course, some cheeses are coated with WAX and I certainly wouldn't want a bunch of wax melting into my soup.

So, which cheeses CAN be used for soups in this manner? Frankly, due to the nature of the rind, I find it difficult to tell - by taste or texture - that ANY of them are NOT wax.

Any ideas?

P.S.: My favourite cheese is Manchego. What about that one?
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Cheesemonger: Using cheese rinds in soup? by labradors (Allison, I'm glad yo...)
Certainly the most common is Parmigiano-Reggiano. Similarly aged cheeses form the same kind of rind, like Pecorino Romano, Grana Padano and Piave. They work, too. I know my dad added Gruyere rind to a soup or sauce he was simmering and really liked it. Pretty sure he fished out the softened rind and ate it G
Something I haven't tried but have read suggestions for is making cheese "broth" using rinds. One suggestion I liked was to mix the cheese broth with beef stock when you make french onion soup.

Re: Manchego. These days it's usually coated in a paraffin wax which you certainly don't want in your soup or sauce. You could remove that thin coating with a sharp knife and still use the rind like any other aged cheese. If it's a young Manchego, you just won't have as much rind as you will with a 9-12 month aged.

Aged cheeses are where it's at for cooking with rinds. The things to avoid are wax (which can be trimmed) and gritty rinds (like the cheese-mite cured Mimolette.)

Does that help?
Allison aka Younger Bay
"The only real stumbling block is fear of failure. In cooking you've got to have a what-the-hell attitude." - Julia Child
  Re: Re: Cheesemonger: Using cheese rinds in soup? by cheesemonger (Certainly the most c...)
Everything she said! I did eat the Gruyere--"wouldn't you?".
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Cheesemonger: Using cheese rinds in soup? by cheesemonger (Certainly the most c...)
Perfect. It makes more sense to me, now.

I've heard the broth idea, too, but hadn't even gotten beyond just a simple inclusion, yet. Plus, the cheeses that would probably be the best candidates are not cheap - especially here. Wish I could afford to splurge and get a whole wheel of Manchego, Pecorino Romano and a bunch of five-pound logs of goat cheese.

Thanks for the info!

P.S.: Absolutely, Bill. Better add some Gruyère and some Emmentaler to the above list.
  Re: Re: Cheesemonger: Using cheese rinds in soup? by labradors (Perfect. It makes m...)
We, too are fans of adding cheese rinds to dishes. Labs, you're lucky - there's only one of you, I cut the rinds in bite-size pieces before adding (easier to ingest) AND we have been known to count how many each of us manages to get!! Delicious.

Thanks Alllison, I've never thought to do this with Manchego or Gruyere! Sure will, tho.

I'm not familiar with the concept of the 'broth' idea - explain??
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Cheesemonger: Using cheese rinds in soup? by cjs (We, too are fans of ...)
Googling 'Cheese Broth' if found this really great article by 'Cheesemonger'!

Make Cheese Rind Stock by Cheesemonger
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Cheesemonger: Using cheese rinds in soup? by cjs (We, too are fans of ...)
From what I've heard, you just save up a bunch of the rinds and then simmer them in water for a few hours. Maybe Allison has heard more details.

Oops! Laura has already posted a link. Cool!
  Re: Re: Cheesemonger: Using cheese rinds in soup? by labradors (Perfect. It makes m...)
I been using Parm/Reg in my minestroni for years--great broth!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Cheesemonger: Using cheese rinds in soup? by Old Bay (I been using Parm/Re...)
You guys got it! Cheese has gotten awfully expensive especially if you aren't shopping at a Costco or some other big chain. If you want to stockpile the rinds, they freeze just fine. I really need to remember to keep a baggie going in the freezer where I can toss them.
Allison aka Younger Bay
"The only real stumbling block is fear of failure. In cooking you've got to have a what-the-hell attitude." - Julia Child
  Re: Re: Cheesemonger: Using cheese rinds in soup? by cheesemonger (You guys got it! Che...)
That's what I do.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com