Recipe Organizer
  Re: (...)
So now that I have a new computer, I think I really need to get more of my favorite recipes into a database of some sort. I make something I like and if it's from a magazine I have (as it often is) it goes into a stack with the others and I don't remember what's where. Granted I could organize my magazines better but I also want to be able to search using keywords.

Many of you often post recipes from different programs so I thought I would ask for some input from the group. What do y'all like? If you have a recipe from a publication you like, do you have to type it in?

I apologize if there's already been a post about this.
Allison aka Younger Bay
"The only real stumbling block is fear of failure. In cooking you've got to have a what-the-hell attitude." - Julia Child
  Re: Recipe Organizer by cheesemonger (So now that I have a...)
Most people here will say Mastercook. I think Denise uses and iPad one.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Recipe Organizer by luvnit (Most people here wil...)
I have MasterCook and Living Cookbook both. Have had M.C. for so many years, I am partial to it. but it is not compatible with word program, so loaded up L.C. I'm still finding my way around this program. I thought I needed to be able to more easily work on cookbooks.

I'm sure the more techie folks will weigh in for you, Allison.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Recipe Organizer by cjs (I have MasterCook an...)
I have one for my Mac called YummySoup! which allows me to sync with my Mac, iPad and iPhone.

Did you get a new PC or Mac? I have to say with a PC I would look at Living Cookbook. I never could get the the MC to work right on my pc when I got a new pc with a newer operating system.
  Re: Re: Recipe Organizer by cjs (I have MasterCook an...)
For PC users it is the best, way more powerful than Mastercook and plays well with all windows versions.

I also want to be able to search using keywords: With LC you can search by ingredient, recipe, recipe type, ingredients you have on hand, etc. You can search one cookbook, a couple or all of them.

If you have a recipe from a publication you like, do you have to type it in? If the recipe is available online there are several ways to get it into LC. The obvious one is copy and paste. LC also has a dedicate recipe search engine called EveryLastRecipe (ELR) which allows you to search and downloads recipes directly into LC. There is also RecipeFox which allows you to import recipes into LC with one click for most websites. For Recipes posted in this forum, you'd use copy and paste, for recipes from Food Network for example, you could use ELR or Recipe Fox.

Other uses can also send you recipes already formatted for LC via email. If you search for Living Cookbook on this forum, you should be able to find additional info.

PS, if you have an iPad there is a program that will easily let you put all your LC recipes on your iPad as well.
  Re: Re: Recipe Organizer by Cubangirl (For PC users it is t...)
I got a PC laptop with Windows 8. Also, I love using Word and would probably want to use that for recipes I write up and am going to save.

Wow, Alina, your review of Living Cookbook certainly sounds the most enticing and very informative! It seems like it does all the things I want. I think I will start with it and see how it goes.

Thanks, ladies!!
Allison aka Younger Bay
"The only real stumbling block is fear of failure. In cooking you've got to have a what-the-hell attitude." - Julia Child
  Re: Re: Recipe Organizer by cheesemonger (I got a PC laptop wi...)
You can certainly use Word to write up your recipes and then use copy and paste to get them into LC so you can search, create shopping lists or write a cookbook. However, you can also type in the capture page window and then use that feature to get each section to the correct part (e.g. ingredients, directions, comments, reviews, etc.)

LC has a 60 day money back guarantee so do give it a try.
  Re: Re: Recipe Organizer by Cubangirl (You can certainly us...)
"PS, if you have an iPad there is a program that will easily let you put all your LC recipes on your iPad as well."

Well, piddle - I didn't know that! I sure wish I could understand all you wrote, Aline\a, maybe I'd like my L.C. better if I knew how to work with it!

P.S. and, you have probably already told me how to do all this and I didn't understand - it's me not you, that's for sure.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Recipe Organizer by cjs ("PS, if you have an ...)
Jean, the program is called Hot Pot. In LC you export the cookbook/s or recipes you want using fdx (on the left under File, scroll down to export).

You then connect your iPad to your computer via USB. Open iTunes and when the iPad shows, go to the app section, toward the bottom you will see a list of apps. Scroll down till you find Hot Pot. On the right you will see a big box that says something like drop files. At the bottom there is also a box that says something like add or get files. Anyway if you click on that it open a window that allows you to find the fdx file you exported earlier. You select it and it will appear in the big box above. Then select sync and wait for it to be done. Once done on your iPad, you open the app (Hot Pot) There is a box on the left with an arrow (I think) asks you what you want to do, select import from file (you will see the file you just put in iTunes) and click on it. Wait for it to load and all your recipes appear looking exactly like they do in LC. It has a shopping list (free with adds or minimal cost without) if you want one. Program also has as many timers as you want, etc.
  Re: Re: Recipe Organizer by Cubangirl (Jean, the program is...)
O.K., I've copied all this and Roy & I will sit down with it. (and then email you. )
www.achefsjourney.com