Jean’s Birthday Dinner Menu - May 2013
  Re: (...)
To be reviewed on Monday, May 13, 2013

Keep in mind, sub where you need to - don't like cilantro, use another herb, soctch bonnets (I'm not a big fan), use jalapenos or serranos, etc.

From Issue #99:
Jerk-Spiced Grilled Chicken, page 29
Mango Chutney, page 29
Jamaican Hushpuppies, page 31

And, from Grilling book #4 – (Best Ever BBQ Chicken on cover)
Pineapple rice, page. 21

No dessert, except maybe a third hushpuppy with the chutney….

Jerk-Spiced Grilled Chicken
4 servings
For added flavor, set a smoker box filled with hickory or apple chips on the grill and let them burn while the chicken cooks.

Puree:
1 bunch scallions, trimmed and chopped
3-4 Scotch bonnet or habanero chiles, stemmed and seeded (I will use Serrano)
1 small onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic
1 piece fresh ginger, peeled (2-inch)
Juice of 2 limes
2 T. olive oil
1 T. brown sugar
2 tsp. dried thyme
1 tsp. ground allspice
1 tsp. kosher salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper
-----
Pierce:
4 chicken hindquarters, trimmed

Puree all the ingredients in a food processor.

Pierce chicken with a knife and place in a large dish. Coat with the puree and cover with plastic wrap; chill 2 hours or up to one day.

Prepare grill for indirect grilling, heating one side to high and keeping the other side unlit to maintain a temperature of 400°.

Grill hindquarters, skin side up, indirectly, covered, 25 minutes, rotate hindquarters to evenly cook, and grill until internal temperature registers 175°F, 20 minutes more.

Notes: use plastic gloves when working with chiles for protection. Piercing the chicken allows the marinade to more easily penetrate into the meat.

Mango Chutney:
Makes 1 1/2 cups
The chutney can be made two to three days ahead.

Soak:
3 T. golden raisins
2 T. dark rum or water, microwaved until hot
-----
Combine:
3/4 cup water
1/2 cup distilled white vinegar
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup diced fresh mango
1/2 cup each: minced onion and diced red bell pepper
1 T. each: peeled, minced fresh ginger and minced lime zest
1 tsp. minced garlic
1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
Salt to taste

Soak raisins in rum to plump, 15 minutes.

Combine water, vinegar, sugar, mango, onion, bell pepper, ginger, zest, garlic, pepper flakes and raisin mixture in a saucepan.

Bring chutney to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, until thick, about 30 minutes; season with salt. Cool chutney, then transfer to a bowl, cover with plastic wrap and chill until ready to serve.

Jamaican Hushpuppies
Makes about 12
In Jamaica, these hushpuppies are called festival, and they’re a delicious side served with any jerk meat.

Heat:
3 cups peanut oil
-----
Stir:
1 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp. ground allspice
1/2 tsp. table salt
1/4 tsp. baking soda
-----
Combine:
3/4 cup whole milk
1 tsp. vanilla extract
Honey

Heat oil in a deep pot to 350°F.

Stir together flour, cornmeal, sugar, allspice, salt and baking soda.

Combine milk and vanilla; stir into flour mixture to form a thick batter. Using 2 spoons, drop batter into hot oil and fry in two batches, turning each piece until golden, 3 to 4 minutes.

Drain hushpuppies on a paper-towel-lined plate (My note: using a brown paper bag works better for draining) and serve with honey.

Pineapple Rice
Makes 3 cups

1 1/4 cups water
1 can (6 oz.) pineapple juice
2 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. unsalted butter
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
1 cup dry basmati or jasmine rice
Juice of 1/2 a lime
Chopped fresh cilantro

Bring water, juice, sugar, butter, salt and pepper flakes to a boil in a saucepan. Stir in rice, cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer 15 minutes. Remove pan from heat, let sit 5 minutes, then fluff rice with a fork.

Stir in lime juice and cilantro.

--------

I hope the other May Birthdayers will chose menus also
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Jean’s Birthday Dinner Menu - May 2013 by cjs (To be reviewed on Mo...)
OMG !! Where is my magazine? The boys are going to LOVE this!

Remember there's going to be a Pigs in Mud cake coming up for your next visit. Hmmmmm . . . I was just wondering where to put the "birthday candle"?
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Jean’s Birthday Dinner Menu - May 2013 by Harborwitch (OMG !! Where is my ...)
Me thinks we're in for a bad month - good food, but bad for us.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Jean’s Birthday Dinner Menu - May 2013 by cjs (Me thinks we're in f...)
That sounds great Jean! I thought of you when I saw those hushpuppies! Can't wait to make them.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Jean’s Birthday Dinner Menu - May 2013 by luvnit (That sounds great Je...)
This entire menu sounds tasty Gonna start gathering my ingredients.
  Re: Re: Jean’s Birthday Dinner Menu - May 2013 by DFen911 (This entire menu sou...)
Sounds tasty indeed! I will definitely make the chicken and rice. Possibly the hush puppies (not sure why deep frying intimidates me). Will probably not do the chutney because if I brought a raisin into this house Tony might leave.
  Re: Re: Jean’s Birthday Dinner Menu - May 2013 by Trixxee (Sounds tasty indeed!...)
You know Trixxee you could substitute dried currants, cranberries, dates or cherries for the raisins - or just omit them. I also dislike raisins, so I always sub currants for them or completely forget them.

I will use currants, but if I just omitted, I'd probably add a tablespoon of rum just for the additional flavor profile they're going for.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Jean’s Birthday Dinner Menu - May 2013 by cjs (You know Trixxee you...)
That's a good idea Jean. Thanks.
  Re: Re: Jean’s Birthday Dinner Menu - May 2013 by cjs (You know Trixxee you...)
I dislike raisins too - maybe dried apricots? This is going to be a fun dinner. I just hope I get some time off . . .
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Jean’s Birthday Dinner Menu - May 2013 by Harborwitch (I dislike raisins to...)
And here I doubt I can participate. Things are ramping up for testing and the kids have Spring Fever. UGH! Sounds good though. Maybe after school gets out.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.